• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Patch: [EM] Safe, fast and dynamic Pokemon Expansion

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Will this method be included into the Emerald Battle Engine Upgrade (if it isn't already)?

Marky Vigoroth

...I just liked the Skarmory icon.
Years
'Well, this is embarrassing.' —Firefox

I used both this expansion and your engine (having them point to different free space in my expanded ROM). The game works in mgba. I can edit Pokémon in Pokémon Game Editor. However, when I try to edit moves or abilities in the the same PGE, I get an error that says 'Error: 5; Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.' The unhandled exception was: 'Input string was not in a correct format.' If I decide to continue and try t even select a different move/ability, PGE says that another process is already using my ROM—error #75.

Last edited:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
Will this method be included into the Emerald Battle Engine Upgrade (if it isn't already)?

They're compatible, but are treated as separate projects. This allows people to pick which features that they want. Hidden Abilities are going to be done in this way too.

Years
'Well, this is embarrassing.' —Firefox

I used both this expansion and your engine (having them point to different free space in my expanded ROM). The game works in mgba. I can edit Pokémon in Pokémon Game Editor. However, when I try to edit moves or abilities in the the same PGE, I get an error that says 'Error: 5; Unable to read beyond the end of the stream.' The unhandled exception was: 'Input string was not in a correct format.' If I decide to continue and try t even select a different move/ability, PGE says that another process is already using my ROM—error #75.

Make sure the offsets in the ini are correct. Something stupid like one move less or more can use it to crash like that. Also make sure to use Jambo's Learnset Hack or whatever it's named there. As for the different process using your rom, make sure you don't have it opened in A-map or a hex editor(open for reading is fine, but modifying the file may throw that error in PGE)

As Dollsteak said, they're separate projects, but fully compatible with each other.

Marky Vigoroth

Years
Make sure the offsets in the ini are correct. Something stupid like one move less or more can use it to crash like that. Also make sure to use Jambo's Learnset Hack or whatever it's named there. As for the different process using your rom, make sure you don't have it opened in A-map or a hex editor(open for reading is fine, but modifying the file may throw that error in PGE)

That was the problem! The offending offsets were, say '01017C38' instead of '1017C38'! Thank you!

Right now, I am checking the number of moves. 1025 and 1024 do not seem to be working so far...

Last edited:

Marky Vigoroth

Years
Can I see your INI?

Spoiler:

Years
What is the name of the name of the "command prompt" mentioned in step 5 of the readme file. If it is PGEinicreator, though I suspect that it is not, it is closing itself as soon as it opens. I am assuming I need to run the command prompt before PGEinicreator.

Thank you.

Trainer 781

What is the name of the name of the "command prompt" mentioned in step 5 of the readme file. If it is PGEinicreator, though I suspect that it is not, it is closing itself as soon as it opens. I am assuming I need to run the command prompt before PGEinicreator.

Thank you.

Windows Command Prompt.

Years
Spoiler:

It seems you've used Battle Engine upgrade before and while they're both compatible I should have mentioned one thing. Basically you expanded the learnset table which was already expanded and changed in EBEU. Keyword changed. What I suggest doing is:
- expand pokemon again but this time without learnset repoint
- use the tool to get the ini offset
- build the Battle Engine code again, but this time edit the number of all pokemon in the defines.h file.
- use the pgeinidumper to get the offsets of move table and similar stuff

Thank you.

If you're on Widnows hold Left Shift and Right Click somewhere in your master folder. Then type the 'python scripts//expansion.py' command.
PGEinicreator won't work because it needs offsets which are defined after the script runs.

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2016
After using this on a clean Emerald ROM, opening it and going to anything past Chimecho in the Pokemon Editor in PGE causes this to happen:
Spoiler:

If needed, here is my test.ini
Spoiler:

Followed by my expansion.py
Spoiler:

I've managed to deduce (not that it's hard to test :P) that something between pre-patch and post-patch is causing this error to occur, but I have no idea what it would be. I've played around with all the true/false settings in expansion.py and the end result does not change. I have not yet applied EBEU or the Items/TMs/Move Tutor expansion but have plans to.

Years
After using this on a clean Emerald ROM, opening it and going to anything past Chimecho in the Pokemon Editor in PGE causes this to happen:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I've managed to deduce (not that it's hard to test :P) that something between pre-patch and post-patch is causing this error to occur, but I have no idea what it would be. I've played around with all the true/false settings in expansion.py and the end result does not change. I have not yet applied EBEU or the Items/TMs/Move Tutor expansion but have plans to.

Been a while since I used PGE but I think its because you didnt expand movesets and PGE is trying to read non existing pointers. Also you should set Tm and comp tables to true. !

Gamer2020

Accept no Imitations!
Years
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Pretty much what Dizzyegg said. Also please make sure to use the latest beta of PGE.

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2016
Been a while since I used PGE but I think its because you didnt expand movesets and PGE is trying to read non existing pointers. Also you should set Tm and comp tables to true. !
Pretty much what Dizzyegg said. Also please make sure to use the latest beta of PGE.
Like before, I seem to be having a bit of a problem. If I expand the Pokemon first, I get the same error as before. If I apply EBEU then the Pokemon Expansion, PGE freezes when loading the Pokemon Editor. As far as I'm aware, I'm following the instructions for both word for word, and can even see the new abilities and attacks just fine in PGE, but for some reason expanding the Pokemon is what sets off the red flag.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
It seems you've used Battle Engine upgrade before and while they're both compatible I should have mentioned one thing. Basically you expanded the learnset table which was already expanded and changed in EBEU. Keyword changed. What I suggest doing is:
- expand pokemon again but this time without learnset repoint
- use the tool to get the ini offset
- build the Battle Engine code again, but this time edit the number of all pokemon in the defines.h file.
- use the pgeinidumper to get the offsets of move table and similar stuff

I'm trying to use this with the battle Engine. What should I apply first? Battle Engine or Expanded Pokemon?

Trainer 781

Like before, I seem to be having a bit of a problem. If I expand the Pokemon first, I get the same error as before. If I apply EBEU then the Pokemon Expansion, PGE freezes when loading the Pokemon Editor. As far as I'm aware, I'm following the instructions for both word for word, and can even see the new abilities and attacks just fine in PGE, but for some reason expanding the Pokemon is what sets off the red flag.

I'm trying to use this with the battle Engine. What should I apply first? Battle Engine or Expanded Pokemon?

Here is a draft for instructions to insert both Engine Upgrade and the Expansion safely. I wrote this around mid November.
It doesn't cover the Item Expansion as of now.
Spoiler:

This will become automated after Gamer2020 manages to finish his tool for inserting the three hacks. But for now this should do the job.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Apply expansion first, then change the number of pokemon in the config.h file and apply the engine.

Done, but the game breaks when entering the pokedex. I did something wrong, but I don't know what. {XD}

EDIT: Well, I did the other way around and now Pokemon Expansion is working fine but the Battle Upgrade makes the game crash when entering in combat. I'll keep trying

EDIT2: And I finally got it working. 950 pokemon on emerald. This is gonna be good.

Last edited:
Back