• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Generation of Fossil?

Favorite Gen of Fossil?

• [img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/4/47/Bag_Helix_Fossil_Sprite.png[/img] [img]https://cdn.bulb

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • [img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/8/82/Bag_Root_Fossil_Sprite.png[/img] [img]https://cdn.bulba

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • [img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/a/ac/Bag_Skull_Fossil_Sprite.png[/img] [img]https://cdn.bulb

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • [img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/2/26/Bag_Cover_Fossil_Sprite.png[/img] [img]https://cdn.bulb

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • [img]https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/2/2b/Bag_Jaw_Fossil_Sprite.png[/img] [img]https://cdn.bulbag

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
A Fossil (Japanese: 化石 Fossil) is a trace or piece of an organism from the past, such as a skeleton, shell, or leaf, preserved in the earth. In the Pokémon world, Fossils of prehistoric Pokémon are items which can be revived into living Pokémon using techniques developed by the Devon Corporation and a research laboratory on Cinnabar Island. The two institutions purportedly developed their techniques independently of each other at around the same time. There are also other scientists around the Pokémon world who can revive Fossils using these techniques. They are always part Rock-type.

Dome & Helix Fossil & Old Amber

58px-Dream_Dome_Fossil_Sprite.png
58px-Dream_Helix_Fossil_Sprite.png
64px-Dream_Old_Amber_Sprite.png

138.png
139.png
140.png
141.png
142.png
Kabuto is the shellfish Pokémon. It is a Rock/Water-Type Pokémon revived from a Dome Fossil. It evolves into Kabutops. It is based on a Trilobite. Omanyte is the spiral Pokémon. It is a Rock/Water-Type Pokémon revived from a Helix Fossil. It evolves into Omastar. Omanyte's name and design come from Ammonites, prehistoric mollusks that lived from the Mid-Paleozoic Era to the end of the Cretaceous Period. Aerodactyl is the fossil Pokémon. It is a Rock/Flying-Type Pokémon revived from Old Amber. Aerodactyl is the only Fossil Pokémon that doesn't evolve. Its name and design are based off of the ancient flying reptiles known as Pterosaurs (Pterodactyls if you so desire), and it bears a striking similarity to the Dimorphodon.​

Root & Claw Fossil

59px-Dream_Root_Fossil_Sprite.png
66px-Dream_Claw_Fossil_Sprite.png

345.png
346.png
347.png
348.png
Anorith is based on the prehistoric creature Anomalocaris and is the Old shrimp Pokémon. It is a Rock/Bug-Type Pokémon revived from a Claw Fossil. It evolves into Armaldo.
Lileep is the sea lily Pokémon. It is a. It evolves into Cradily. It is based off of Crinoids (or sea lilies), an ancient, plant like group of animals.​

Skull & Armor

64px-Dream_Skull_Fossil_Sprite.png
62px-Dream_Armor_Fossil_Sprite.png

408.png
409.png
410.png
411.png

Cranidos is the head-butt Pokémon. It is a Rock-Type Pokémon revived from a Skull Fossil. It evolves into Rampardos. Its fossil can only be obtained in Pokémon Diamond or in Pokémon Platinum if the last digit of your trainer ID is an odd number. It is based on the dinosaur Pachycephalosaurus. Shieldon is the shield Pokémon. It is a Rock/Steel-Type Pokémon revived from an Armor Fossil. It evolves into Bastiodon. Its fossil can only be obtained in Pokémon Pearl, and Pokémon Platinum if the last digit of your trainer ID is an even number. It is based on ceratopsian dinosaurs, like Triceratops, but it bears the most resemblance to that of a Pachyrhinosaurus.​

Cover & Plume & Genesect

Dream_Cover_Fossil_Sprite.png
Dream_Plume_Fossil_Sprite.png
latest

564.png
565.png
566.png
567.png
649.png
Tirtouga is based on an Archelon and is the prototurtle Pokémon. It is a Water/Rock-type Pokémon revived from a Cover Fossil. Carracosta is the evolved form of Tirtouga. Archen is based on an Archaeopteryx and is the first bird Pokémon. It is a Rock/Flying-type Pokémon revived from a Plume Fossil. Archeops is the evolved form of Archen. Genesect was revived from a Fossil and technologically enhanced by Team Plasma to create the most powerful Pokémon ever. N had the project cancelled and the P2 Laboratory closed because he felt that Pokémon, who he thought to be perfect beings, would lose their beauty if modified by science. However, Scientist Dudley kept working on it, angry that N denied his talent. This scientist reconstructed Genesect and installed the cannon on its back.​

Jaw & Sail

Dream_Jaw_Fossil_Sprite.png
Dream_Sail_Fossil_Sprite.png

696.png
697.png
698.png
699.png
Tyrunt is based on a Tyrannosaurus Rex and is the royal heir Pokémon. It is a Rock/Dragon-type Pokémon that is revived from the Jaw Fossil. Amaura is based on an Amargasaurus and is the tundra Pokémon. It is a Rock/Ice-type Pokémon that is revived from the Sail Fossil. Aurorus is the evolved form of Amaura.

If you think of any others I have missed, please let me know so I can update the poll!
Note: I am not including ancient Pokemon or Pokemon created the known Pokemon universe (ie: Arceus, Palkia, Dialga, etc.). This only applies to Pokemon who are extinct and need to be revived via fossil.

Years
I remember when GF revealed Kalos fossils and I had really a hard time deciding which one I like more. I chose Sail Fossil, but got Tyrunt via event as soon as I could. Amaura line is still one of my favourite Ice-type Pokémon.

Unova fossils (Cover and Plume) are right behind them, but I can't vote for them, because there is Genesect slapped on them. And Genesect is meh Pokémon.

Years
I picked the Kalos fossils! Amaura and Aurorus are two of my favourite pokemon! Not only do I adore ice-types but I also love the majestic creatures which they're based on! Tyrunt and Tyrantrum also have incredible designs as well.

I do love all of the fossil pokemon across all generations, though, especially Cradilly, Archeops, and Rampardos!

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Kanto for me. After having done several challenge runs, I've garnered a new appreciation for them since they crush Fire Types and dominate Lorelei's Ice Types thanks to their unique Rock/Water Typing. They even give Bruno a run for his money despite being vulnerable to his Fighting moves and can give Lance a real tough time by being resistant to Hyper Beam. Combination of Aerodactly and Kabutops can crush two of the Elite 4, which makes them relatively underrated for Fossil Pokemon. Omastar shouldn't be discredited either with that insane Special(which is combined in Generation 1).

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Unova fossils (Cover and Plume) are right behind them, but I can't vote for them, because there is Genesect slapped on them. And Genesect is meh Pokémon.

I almost didn't include Genesect. It really only got in on a technicality and I couldn't not include it with gen V, rip.

As for myself, I'm between Kanto and Kalos. Omastar and Amauri are my favorite fossils!

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 11, 2023
Toss up between Kalos and Kanto for me. Unova is a close one for me as well but like Janp said above Genesect is tacked on and I'm not a huge fan of it haha. But since it was put in on a technicality if it wasn't for Genesect I would probably choose Unova, to be quite honest.

Years
You know, I've never really felt strongly towards any of the fossil 'mons with the exception of Kanto (because Omanyte/Omastar were one of my favourites for a long time) and Hoenn (because I loved Armaldo). The others don't really leave that much of an impression on me, probably because I'm not the biggest fans of their designs.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
I like the fossils for all the generations. They're all solid mons that I have good memories associated with. That said, Cranidos and Shieldon were my first fossil mons, and I used a Rampardos in my first ever Diamond run. While that cartridge eventually got stolen, I still really like both mons, and so they're my favorites.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
Years
  • Age 24
  • Ohio
  • Seen Mar 24, 2023
It was a toss-up between Gen 5 and Gen 6 for me, but Aurorus is just too beautiful to resist. ~*`~` Tyrantrum is cool, too (as opposed to Gen 5 where I love Archeops but only sorta like Genesect and find Carracosta completely forgettable). I even like how the two go together - a sauropod/therapod duo may be a bit cliche, but we've never had it in Pokemon before, and I just realized that they have contrasting types as well (Ice vs. Dragon).

Years
I actually picked the gen 4 fossils. I have used Rampardos in Diamond and it was surprisingly useful (as well as looking genuinely menacing). I have also been using Bastidon in Ultra Moon as part of a 20 pokemon team and it has quickly become my second favourite fossil pokemon. Bulky, strong and effective. Not to mention that I think it is one of the better looking fossil pokemon.
Tyrantrum is my personal favourite fossil pokemon, but Aurorus just doesn't justify the gen 6 fossil pair being my choice.

(Also, gen 4 has the best method of obtaining fossils. The Underground is honestly one of the best mini-games pokemon has ever had and far better than the secret base system in the gen 3 games and remakes)

Years
As a paleontology nerd, I've always enjoyed the fossil Pokemon. That playing into consideration, my vote goes to the Hoenn fossils. The creatures these guys are based on don't get that much media attention, so I like that. Armaldo's neat movepool and Cradilly's visceral Dex entries are just icing on the cake.

Years
I wish the Plume and Sail fossils were in the same generation, because they're easily my top 2 choices.

I really wish that Archeops didn't have Defeatist as it's ability, otherwise it would probably be in my top 20 Pokemon of all-time, but it gets bumped way down the list because of it. And since I'm just kind of meh towards Carracosta, my vote goes to the Kalos fossils.

Back