• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Wait... City!?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
It doesn't really look like a city, though. Perhaps in the future... cities have become more popular? I mean I assume now that it's all advanced, everything is going to be technologically better, and bigger populations seem to be the way to go. :x

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Even on the map its painfully small. Pallet's map image may have been bigger....and may have had more building too from the basic description.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
It's about dang time. I'm a city boy at heart, even though I live in a SMALL town, but i love the big cities of the games. Whether or not this one is big will have to wait to be revealed, but as long as it isn't the three-four home cluster of houses, I'm good.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 28, 2023
It doesn't really look like a city, though. Perhaps in the future... cities have become more popular? I mean I assume now that it's all advanced, everything is going to be technologically better, and bigger populations seem to be the way to go. :x

Yeah, ever since 2010 cities have become popular and become extremely advanced.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Hearing that it will have a Pokemon Center and Trainer's school(if I read it right, been a little while since I looked at the info), I'd expect it to be a decent size...As Jellicent said, as long as it is a bit bigger than the average 3 house village, and with the forementioned 'known' additions, it should be a nice change.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Yeah, ever since 2010 cities have become popular and become extremely advanced.

...oh well, okay, so maybe it can just be that the population has grown. Maybe Musicals attracted everyone to Unova and now they start building larger cities? DON'T KNOW BUT SEEMS LOGICAL.

Archenoth

(cozy)
Years
I wouldn't mind in the player started in the city... As much as people seem to like to stick to a formula for most things, Pokemon has changed things we never thought it would change in the past. And that is often why the new games seem as fresh as they do.

I say go for it! I'll still buy it, and I'll probably love it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
The fact that the town has a PC and stores intrigues me more than the label of it as a city. There has to be a reason for why they would do that...my guess is that the city will play a larger role in the games compared to the past starter towns, heck maybe that's why they decided to label it as such, to make it seem important.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
This could mean a lot of thinks. Maybe they are trying to imply Unova is quite an advanced region and has developed a good amount of isn't dwelling places past the point of being a simple town. They wanted to break from tradition as they have done plenty this gen and start off with a town that has many stuff incorporated that regular starting towns would not.

As far as Nuvema is concerned I could see maybe a foreign professor visiting the lab there post game and giving you the option to choose a set of starters.

Years
I had this theory before, in Nuvema you might be able to battle the old character (girl in black and boy in white or vise versa or maybe depending on your own player's gender).

I doubt Unova has advanced much all in these two years tech wise, the use of cities might be a nod to Johto the original sequel region being quite Urban, so they made west Unova urban too...

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
I had this theory before, in Nuvema you might be able to battle the old character (girl in black and boy in white or vise versa or maybe depending on your own player's gender).

I doubt Unova has advanced much all in these two years tech wise, the use of cities might be a nod to Johto the original sequel region being quite Urban, so they made west Unova urban too...
Either that or Bianca since he can be faced there post main story. This is all depending they go anywhere with here.

Imo Johto wasn't any more urban that Kanto. Sure both had their sparsely populated areas with far out routes. But Kanto had some huge cities like Saffron, Celadon, and Vermillion. If any region showed urban growth it would seem to be Sinnoh.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
I honestly think it being a city or town, not much is going to change. It may be a little bit bigger than regular towns but I honestly think the only thing that's different is rather than calling it a town they called it a city! lol

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022
I should raise this question: how do you know the starting town is "small"? The map artwork has little sense of scale as it only seems to show significant buildings. For all we know, the starting town will have a fair bunch of houses to justify calling it a city.

What I'm saying is, don't use the world map artwork we've been given to judge its size.

True dat. I hope it's a big city. I'd be extremely excited if it were. Town, COMPUTER TO SWITCH POKEMON, and whatnot, that'd be awesome. I don't think it'd make that much of an impact on the game, but it being big would make it a bit more fun, imo.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
B2W2_Hiougi_City_House.png

Wheeee a building beside the house! Or wait, is that just the professor's lab? Regardless, it's still quite a big city, somewhat like Rustboro City or Petalburg City maybe, so it's still legit enough to be considered a "city" lol. Also, it's somewhat near Twist Mountain so it's probably somewhere near Mistralton City as well xD

230px-B2W2_Hiougi_City_Lookout.png

Years
The city might be a small city like Mauville in Hoenn if not big like Saffron, Golden rod, Nimbasa or Opelucid.

Either way it might simply be gimmick...which by the looks of things is working, it has our attention...

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I should raise this question: how do you know the starting town is "small"? The map artwork has little sense of scale as it only seems to show significant buildings. For all we know, the starting town will have a fair bunch of houses to justify calling it a city.

What I'm saying is, don't use the world map artwork we've been given to judge its size.

World map is usually to scale. If it were small it was usually small. Based from the screenshots from CoroCoro and the new trailer I'll go out on a limb and say there are at most 5 buildings. Rival's house, Your House, Trainer School, Pokemon Center, and one random building.

Years
^ That random building might be the prof's lab where we get our starter. So yeah the city is quite small compared to the rest in terms of buildings...much like Mauville city...

Years
  • Seen Nov 3, 2016
Maybe Nuvema Town will only serve as a location you can fly to to quickly access Route 17/18, with only a few notable purposes such as battling Bianca or meeting Professor Juniper to get your Pokédex upgraded.

Back