• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] An (April) Foolish Challenge

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
240b765c9b51f2f162979ef96eba0e62fba2144f_00.gif

Event: A Foolish Challenge for April Fools
It's not quite a joke, but we tried.

Greetings, foolish fellow mortals! You have all been gloriously pranked into viewing the newest event challenge thread. That or you came of your own volition. Whatever.

On the first of April, it has become tradition in many countries to prank others in various devious ways, but you knew that. Let's talk about the Challenge.

The Challenge
In this Event Challenge, you will be tasked with beating the Pokémon game of your choice with a team of 6 Pokémon. Of course, there are rules governing which Pokémon you can use. Here is what your team must look like when you complete the game:

1 Pokemon with one of the following Abilities - Prankster, Magician, Disguise, Aftermath, Pickpocket, or Infiltrator
1 Pokemon with one of the following moves - Trick, Switcheroo, Power Trick, Trick Room, or Confuse Ray

1 Pokemon with one of the following Abilities - Oblivious, Wimp Out, Unaware, Soundproof, Tangled Feet, or Own Tempo
1 Pokemon with one of the following moves - Protect, Detect, or Facade (Hint: this can be almost literally anything)

1 Pokemon based on a fish - "poisson d'avril", as the French would have it.
1 Pokemon based on a bunny/rabbit because convenient coincidence is convenient

You may opt out of up to two of these challenges, but that slot will be replaced by a Pokémon from your game assigned by the next person to post (which can be an NFE; don't try to be nice with these, it's a prank).

Old game note: In gens 1-2, Abilities don't exist. Use a Pokemon that gets one of the chosen Abilities in a later gen. None fit? Take the L and opt out of it. Murkrow gets Prankster by the way.​

The nitty-gritty stuff
Gen 6+ EXP share is not allowed.
Megas are out. Kalos is plenty easy as-is.
Z-Moves are in. Necrozema is a meanie.
Speaking of Necrozema, he's banned, as well as anything banned from the Tree. Rest of the legendaries are cool I guess.
Affection is allowed, BUT it must be earned without the use of Amie or Refresh. Kalos is still easy, it doesn't need it.
O-Powers are banned because they are OP. Kalos is... You get the point.
Hacking/Trading in a single team member so that it has its HA and/or is obtainable early and/or is obtainable at all is okay, even if you will have a team before gym 1.
Golisopod does not have the Ability "Wimp Out". Just thought I'd remind you.
Summoning a rare evolution item from nonexistence via hacking/trading is allowed after the 4th gym or Kiawe's trial. The same is allowed for Everstones at any point.
Trading is allowed for evolution blah blah blah.
HM slaves are allowed when absolutely necessary.
The Scald TM is banned in Sun and Moon until after defeating Totem Wishiwashi because I said so.
Hacks are fine as long as they actually have a Champion.

The Challenge ends when the credits roll. Red is a jerk, so you don't have to fight him in Johto.

Signup:
Username -
Game -
Favorite type of Fish -

Because I feel the need to bribe you people with metaphorical candy, anyone who completes this challenge will receive a Battle Ready Whimsicott with Pokérus that I bred for VGC16 in the Gen 7 game of their personal preference assuming I didn't just corrupt my bank.

Signups end April 10th, at which point I'll unsticky the thread. You may complete the Challenge at any reasonable time however.

Okay have fun I guess!​
Thanks Zemanahrad for planning this with me

Years
Jokes on you, I'll do this in X, because Kalos is easy great!

Username - Zemanahrad
Game - X
Favorite type of Fish - The cooked one (And Karp)

Also, could I get some NFE Pokémon obtainable somewhere around 3rd or 4th Gym? I'll probably use it instead of "Protect, Detect or Facade" Pokémon.

Years
Signup:
Username - Whallan
Game - X or Y (I forgot which one I use for breeding)
Favorite type of Fish - King George Whiting

Jokes on you, I'll do this in X, because Kalos is easy great!

Username - Zemanahrad
Game - X
Favorite type of Fish - The cooked one (And Karp)

Also, could I get some NFE Pokémon obtainable somewhere around 3rd or 4th Gym? I'll probably use it instead of "Protect, Detect or Facade" Pokémon.

You can have an exeggcute.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I'll sign up on Yellow but I won't start this until my Rainbow challenge is complete(am at Sabrina and haven't progressed past that yet).

Name: CodeHelmet
Game: Yellow
Favorite Type of Fish: I hate seafood

My team, based on the above rules, looks like it will be the following:

1) Golbat(has Infiltrator ability)
2) Vulpix(learns Confuse Ray. Debating whether I want to evolve it)
3) Mr.Mime(Soundproof ability)
4) Pikachu(passes for a Rabbit/Bunny in my book, although I will let others be the judge of that. If all else fails, I'll accept Clefable or Wigglytuff but I'd prefer to have my Yellow starter...)
5) Gyrados(it evolves from a Fish god damn it. Otherwise I'm getting a Starfish in Starmie, Crab in Kingler or Seaking(its a fish Pokemon)). All else fails, I'll opt out of this one but for what I have no idea.

Will have no choice but to opt out of the Protect one seeing as none of those moves existed in Generation 1. I'd take a NFE if necessary(I'd love Sandshrew but knowing my luck, I'll get stuck with Caterpie).

Last edited:
Years
You can have an exeggcute.

Thanks. I'll use it instead of the fish in the end.

I planned my team a little bit and will probably use

klefki.gif
delphox.gif
avalugg.gif
hawlucha.gif
exeggcute.gif
diggersby.gif

They are in the order of the challenge requirements.
Also I finally have excuse to use Avalugg, Hawlucha and Klefki as I wanted to use all of them for a long time.

My team, based on the above rules, looks like it will be the following:

1) Golbat(has Infiltrator ability)
2) Vulpix(learns Confuse Ray. Debating whether I want to evolve it)
3) Mr.Mime(Soundproof ability)
4) Pikachu(passes for a Rabbit/Bunny in my book, although I will let others be the judge of that. If all else fails, I'll accept Clefable or Wigglytuff but I'd prefer to have my Yellow starter...)
5) Gyrados(it evolves from a Fish god damn it. Otherwise I'm getting a Starfish in Starmie, Crab in Kingler or Seaking(its a fish Pokemon)). All else fails, I'll opt out of this one but for what I have no idea.

Will have no choice but to opt out of the Protect one seeing as none of those moves existed in Generation 1. I'd take a NFE if necessary(I'd love Sandshrew but knowing my luck, I'll get stuck with Caterpie).

Don't worry, I would never be so cruel and give you Caterpie... You can use Weedle. Just kidding, looks like your team needs a little bit of randomness so take Ditto.

Last edited:
Years
So I've pieced together my team. I hatched and traded in a huge power marill. I'd caught 5 azumarills with thick fat and I was fed up. (hopefully that's okay).

715.png
w/ infiltrator
655.png
w/ switcheroo
101.png
w/ soundproof
292.png
w/ protect
184.png
the water rabbit.
119.png
the fish

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Don't worry, I would never be so cruel and give you Caterpie... You can use Weedle. Just kidding, looks like your team needs a little bit of randomness so take Ditto.

Hah, if you had given me Weedle I'd point out that I can't naturally acquire it :P. Never used Ditto before. Might be due to how late I can acquire one and the fact it borrows the enemy moves with just 5 pp. Even if I hardly use it, the other five I have can beat the game, although it will be interesting beating Brock with just Pikachu since Zubat, Magikarp and Clefairy(whom I'll trade for Mr.Mime) aren't available until Mt.Moon. Any chance I can get to use a helper like Butterfree for Brock(might even turn him into a Flash slave seeing as I'll need Pokedex boost for the HM).

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Username - Volga
Game - Penumbra Moon (Ultra Moon Hack)
Favorite type of Fish - None, they're gross

This is what I'm thinking of for now, though there might be some changes.
Whimsicott (w/ Infiltrator or Prankster)
Mismagius (w/ Confuse Ray)
Avalugg (w/ Own Tempo) *Will be trading in so I don't have to wait until Tapu Village
Conkeldurr (w/ Guts + Facade :wink-right-eye:)
Basculin (Fish)
Lopunny (Rabbit)

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
So I felt like giving an update to my April Foolish challenge on Yellow. I took on Brock using nothing but my trusty partner Peter(aka Peter Rabbit). Through the use of Double Team, Tail Whip and Quick Attack, I slowly whittled down Brock's Rock Pokemon but I do not recommend that to anyone else lol. Aelita, a Flash HM slave Butterfree, was an Emergency back up in case I suffered immense bad luck but she wasn't needed. I made my way to Mount Moon where I caught three more companions: Rocky(Zubat), Eclipsa(Magikarp) and Clefairy(whom I'll trade for Miles(Mr.Mime)). Tons of grinding was before me as Rocky and Eclipsa really needed training to be viable(especially Eclipsa). Before doing the training gauntlet, I went and shocked Misty into oblivion with Peter. I thought about giving Rocky some action against her Strarmie but Peter's Thundershock was a knife through hot butter. After lots of training, Eclipsa evolved into her true form of a Gyrados. Rocky's training accelerated when he was able to feed on Grass Pokemon. After training, I realized that my team lacked a Pokemon who could learn Cut so I went and acquired Bulbasaur, who I named Ulrich for just that purpose.

I confidently made my way to Vermillion City where I steamrolled through S.S. Anne and acquired HM01. Although Surge has just 1 Pokemon, it's a level 28 Raichu with Thunderbolt(not necessarily a good thing for Rocky and Eclipsa). Rather than face Lt.Surge right away, I opted to go get HM05 and Miles via Diglett Cave. Although Miles is level 15, the upside is that he will grow at an accelerated rate. It wasn't long before he was level 25, hence giving Peter a hand in taking down Lt.Surge. With the Thunderbadge in hand, I made my way to Rock Tunnel before stopping for the night at the Pokemon Center.

pikachu.png

Peter: Level 30
Thundershock
Quick Attack
Double Team
Thunderbolt

zubat.png

Rocky: Level 27
Bite
Leech Life
Supersonic
Confuse Ray

gyarados-f.png

Eclipsa: Level 29
Tackle
Bite
Dragon Rage
Water Gun

mr-mime.png

Miles: Level 27
Confusion
Light Screen
Rest

Aelita(Butterfree) and Ulrich(Bulbasaur) are HM slaves. Will box Aelita once I reach Celadon City.

Years
Username: LRachelR5
Game: X
Favourite Fish: I don't know, I'm a huge fan of seafood
Here is the team I am thinking of using
Klefki - Prankster
Meowstic - Trick
Mamoswine - Oblivious
Roserade - Protect
Lanturn - Fish
Then instead of a rabbit pokemon (only Diggersby or Azumarill in XY) could someone give me a last team member, preferably something that can be caught before Viola

Years
Username: LRachelR5
Game: X
Favourite Fish: I don't know, I'm a huge fan of seafood
Here is the team I am thinking of using
Klefki - Prankster
Meowstic - Trick
Mamoswine - Oblivious
Roserade - Protect
Lanturn - Fish
Then instead of a rabbit pokemon (only Diggersby or Azumarill in XY) could someone give me a last team member, preferably something that can be caught before Viola

You get this little guy:
pansear.gif

Anyway, I just got to Cyllage City. I have Braixen and Diggersby on my team and plan to catch Hawlucha before challenging Grant. I'll give proper update later this week.

Years
So here's an update.

My team has changed a little bit from what I originally planned, but it is still within the rules. I traded in a level 1 Pineco, and a level 1 Noibat due to one not obtainable and the other not available til late game. I have just defeated the 7th Gym, I have a really overlevelled Azumarill due to getting most of my team late in the game. (I also nicknamed the mons after each rule requirement)

My current team is as follows:
Spr_6x_101.png

Soundproof Lv. 41 @Damp Rock
- Thunderbolt
- Light Screen
- Rain Dance
- Thunder

Spr_6x_714.png

Infiltrator Lv. 42
- Fly
- Air Cutter
- Switcheroo
- Tailwind

Spr_6x_184.png

Rabbit Lv. 63
- Play Rough
- Strength
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum

Spr_6x_205.png

Power Trick Lv. 55
- bug Bite
- Gyro Ball
- Power Trick
- Spikes

Spr_7s_366.png

Fish Lv. 45 @Deep Sea Scale
- Surf
- Water Gun
- Rain Dance
- Iron Defence

Spr_6x_221_f.png

Protect Lv. 40
- Ice Fang
- take Down
-Fury Attack
- Protect

Anyone able to trade to evolve my Clamperl once it learns shell smash?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Another update is in order. Went through Rock Tunnel like clockwork with Eclipsa disposing of one foe after another thanks to her Water Gun and strong jaws(Bite). Erika and Team Rocket were a cakewalk with Rocky and Miles doing the bulk of the work. I liberated my newest Pokemon from Team Rocket's clutches and had to think long and hard on what to name her(even though there are no genders in Generation 1, Vulpix are almost always Female). Settled on Serena in honor of my favorite Pokegirl and the fact she ought to catch one(perhaps an Alolan variant... *cough*). Anyways, where was I.... Lavender Town was quick due to Miles and Rocky feasting on the Poison Typing of those Ghosts. Did a lot of grinding for Serena so that she could make her debut against Koga where she rolled right through using a combination of Confuse Ray and Flamethrower. Sabrina was also surprisingly easy thanks to Eclipsa's sheer physical power taking advantage of the Abra lines weakness to physical attacks. Basically at the point of heading towards Cinnabar Island wherein Peter will shockingly shine on the Sea Routes and Eclipsa will dominate once more upon arrival. Also will be grabbing my 6th and final Team member in Ditto(naming it Duplica. Not hard to figure out why).

pikachu-f.png

Peter: Level 48
Quick Attack
Double Team
Thunder
Thunderbolt

gyarados-f.png

Eclipsa: Level 49
Strength
Surf
Ice Beam
Hydro Pump

mr-mime.png

Miles: Level 48
Confusion
Light Screen
Rest
Psychic

golbat-f.png

Rocky: Level 47
Bite
Leech Life
Wing Attack
Confuse Ray

vulpix.png

Serena: Level 47
Quick Attack
Confuse Ray
Flamethrower
Fire Spin

Boxed: Aelita(Flash Butterfree) and Ulrich(Cut Bulbasaur)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 31, 2022
I just got Ultra Sun and figured I'd give this challenge a whirl.

Username: keishajay
Game: Ultra Sun
Favorite Fish: to eat, probably tilapia; in general, sharks are awesome

My team is going to be:
547_whimsicott_by_3d_poke_sprites-d8hlc6m.gif

Infiltrator

sableye.gif

Confuse Ray

slowbro.gif

Own Tempo

blaziken.gif

Facade

eelektross.gif

Fish

lopunny.gif

Bunny

I would've picked Sharpedo as my fish, but I really don't care for it or Carvanha. Plus, I never played B/W, so Eelektross will be more fun. I'm going to hack in a Tynamo before Hala, but after that, I'm good to go.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Update #1

I started up Ultra Sun and chose Rowlet (not that it matters too much anyway). I caught a Buneary on Route 1 and a Slowpoke in the outskirts, and I hacked in my Tynamo. I beat Ilima pretty handily with Slowmara, and I'm on my way to Trial #1 now. I'll pick up a Cottonee in Melemele Meadow before taking on Hala.

My current team is:

tynamo.gif

Jetson: Lv 13
Tackle
Thunder Wave
Spark
Charge Beam

slowpoke.gif

Slowmara: Lv 13
Curse
Yawn
Tackle
Water Gun

buneary.gif

Lola B: Lv 15
Defense Curl
Endure
Pound
Foresight

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
So I finished my Yellow April Fool's run(and no need for any reward or anything). Peter was the MVP on the Sea Routes while Eclipsa was all I needed for the last two Gym Leaders. Second to last rival battle wasn't too difficult, although Jolteon can be a real pain to deal with. At the Elite Four, Peter and Serena took care of Lorelai. Eclipsa and Miles took Bruno to school while Miles and Rocky swept Agatha. Peter knocked out Lance's Gyrados and Eclipsa did the rest with Ice Beam and Surf. The final battle was relatively easy as well with Eclipsa knocking out Blue/Gary's Sandslash and Alakazam with a Surf/Hyper Beam respectively. Cloyster fell to Peter while Exeggcutor got burnt to a crisp by Serena. Gary's Ninetales fell to Eclipsa before I sent Duplica out to face his Jolteon seeing as the rest of my team isn't exactly suited for Electric and Bug attacks. I managed to dodge a Thunder Attack to Transform from which I unleashed Quick Attacks and Pin Missile to whittle him down before trying to finish him off with Electricity. Unfortunately, Duplica fainted prior to doing so, hence I sent out Peter to finish the job. MVP of this run was honestly Eclipsa. Gyrados, despite being in the SLOW AS BLOODY HELL experience group should be barred from use in any Generation 1 run lol.

Peter finished at level 64, Eclipsa at level 62, Miles at 63, Serena(as a Vulpix) at level 63, Rocky at level 62 and Duplica finished at level 58. The grind on Duplica took forever... ugh. Run took like 45 hours to complete, which is way longer than I'd like and I blame much of it on Duplica. Fun challenge run though :)

Years

A Foolish Challenge in Pok?mon X

klefki.gif
delphox.gif
avalugg.gif
hawlucha.gif
exeggcute.gif
diggersby.gif

CHAPTER 1 and a half - Zemana suspects nothing!

So I have finally time to make some updates. For once I had not one, but two members of my team ready before 1st Gym - Fennekin named Ron and Bunnelby named Hagrid. I thought Viola would be easy, but Surskit's Water Sport destroyed my strategy and uderleveled Hagrid didn't do much, so it was all on Ron.
I caught Hawlucha - Ginny to battle Grant, but it had no Fighting-Type moves... So it was on Hagrid to win.
Next two Gyms were easy thanks to Ginny.
I also caught my next member Exeggcute - Luna. So far, I haven't used it as much as I would like.
So far I like this team. Most of the time I have advantage, but not big one, so the game is still challenging.
Right now I'm going to Pok?ball Factory and will probably complete the game today.

Team

delphox.gif

Ron, Mild Male Delphox
lvl 45, Blaze
- Mystical Fire
- Light Screen
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower

diggersby.gif

Hagrid, Bold Male Diggerby
lvl 44, Pickup
- Return
- Double Kick
- Dig
- Quick Attack

hawlucha.gif

Ginny, Docile Female Hawlucha
lvl 45, Limber
- Flying Press
- Fly
- Acrobatics
- Posion Jan

exeggcute.gif

Luna, Quiet Female Exeggcute
lvl 37, Chlorophyll
- Bullet Seed
- Confusion
- Poison Powder
- Sleep Powder​

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen May 31, 2022
Update #2

I caught a Cottonee in Melemele Meadow. It took a bit to find one with infiltrator instead of prankster, but I got one finally. I know I could've used either, but I like infiltrator better than prankster. I'll beat Hala tomorrow and move on to Akala Island. I also opted to use the nuzlocke rule of fainting equals death for this run to make it a bit more challenging.

The current team is:
cottonee.gif

CottonEyedJo: Lv. 14
Fairy Wind
Growth
Leech Seed
Mega Drain

tynamo.gif

Jetson: Lv. 16
Tackle
Thunder Wave
Spark
Charge Beam

slowpoke.gif

Slowmara: Lv. 17
Curse
Yawn
Confusion
Water Gun

buneary.gif

Lola B: Lv. 18
Defense Curl
Quick Attack
Pound
Foresight

Years

A Foolish Challenge in Pok?mon X

klefki.gif
delphox.gif
avalugg.gif
hawlucha.gif
exeggcute.gif
diggersby.gif

CHAPTER 2 - It's just a prank, bro!

I will probably complete the game today... I was so naive!

Anyway, I beat Sycamore in Couriway Town. I have my full team and I'm happy with all my Pok?mon, except for Luna. She had Bullet Seed and Confusion most of the game. It has Soler Beam now, but it still isn't optimal Grass-Type move.

I also caught male Klefki and because we all know it's OP, I named him Harry. And now Harry and Ginny dominate the game. I ship these two so much. If they somehow faint, Ron and Hermiona - my Avalugg, takes their place. Hagrid was my last resort Pok?mon, until he learned Earthquake.

And this time, I'll complete the game today!

Team

delphox.gif

Ron, Mild Male Delphox
lvl 58, Blaze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Sunny Day
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower

diggersby.gif

Hagrid, Bold Male Diggerby
lvl 57, Pickup
- Return
- Double Kick
- Earthquake
- Quick Attack

hawlucha.gif

Ginny, Docile Female Hawlucha
lvl 60, Limber
- Flying Press
- Fly
- Acrobatics
- Protect

exeggcute.gif

Luna, Quiet Female Exeggcute
lvl 49, Chlorophyll
- Solar Beam
- Extrasensory
- Poison Powder
- Sleep Powder

klefki.gif

Harry, Calm Male Klefki
lvl 57, Prankster
- Crafty Shield
- Foul Play
- Dazzling Gleam
- Mirror Shot

avalugg.gif

Hermiona, Lonely Female Avalugg
lvl 52, Own Tempo
- Avalanche
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
- Blizzard​

Last edited:

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
Just finished my challenge on Penumbra Moon, this is my final team.
The hack makes sure you're level 100 by the end of the game, but it is very well-made and balanced, so it's not like a super difficult bullshit hack. I definitely recommend it.

avalugg.gif

Lv.100 @ Assault Vest
Own Tempo | Brave
- Avalanche
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Gyro Ball

whimsicott.gif

Lv.100 @ Choice Specs
Infiltrator | Modest
- Hurricane
- Energy Ball