• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

U.S. 2018 mid-term elections thread

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
My roommates told me that the officials at their voting both said that voter turnout for early voting was higher than turnout for voting in the presidental election, and that the majority are under 30. Do with that what you will.

Years
I'm really anxious to see how it all plays out. I live in a red area of a blue county, and my congressional district has no incumbent. It's probably the highest battleground in Florida right now, too.

Years
  • Age 30
  • USA
  • Seen Nov 11, 2018
As much as I would like to watch to see how this all plays out, I'm working a night shift tonight. I won't get home until close to midnight, so I will be able to watch how the elections play in Alaska.

Years
From my experience watching coverage of the elections, you probably won't get the full story until you watch the news on the 7th. I remember staying up for some time watching...I THINK it was Politico's polling website while the votes for the 2016 presidential election were still being counted. I was too tired to watch any further when Clinton apparently called Trump to concede. Only thing that'll change this time around is I'll probably refer to Fox News's polling website instead, but I definitely have an interest in what happens today. No matter what happens, though, I hope the people elected will focus on improving the country/state/city and not trying to push agendas.

Years
I wish I hadn't bungled my state-residency. I was a resident of Texas up until like 2 weeks ago, when I had to switch to Louisiana to update my car registration. Which, unfortunately, puts me out of the criteria to be an eligible voter in Louisiana as it was a few days after the voter registration deadline.

I hope everyone else who can vote does so, though! The millennial vote will hopefully make a big difference.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
My roommates told me that the officials at their voting both said that voter turnout for early voting was higher than turnout for voting in the presidental election, and that the majority are under 30. Do with that what you will.
Yeah, the news has be noting a lot as of late how voter registration and early ballot submissions and whatnot is very high this year, I think even breaking records in some areas. Places are probably getting bigger turnout today than they have in years I'd imagine. It's not really surprising why though.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Tim Kaine obviously won VA, that really wasn't a shock to me. I'm more interested in the Florida and Georgia races tbh. Though to be quite honest my states district has always been red, and unfortunately that didn't change tonight.

Miss Wendighost

Satan's Little Princess
Years
Tim Kaine obviously won VA, that really wasn't a shock to me. I'm more interested in the Florida and Georgia races tbh. Though to be quite honest my states district has always been red, and unfortunately that didn't change tonight.

Most southern states are usually more conservative regarding politics, so this is not surprising.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
Most southern states are usually more conservative regarding politics, so this is not surprising.

I knew that :P
Just kind of hoped it would change for once but maybe that was a bit too much to ask haha.

Texas thooooooooooooooooooo such close races

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
There's definitely a very real problem with people on the left harassing people on the right over political differences.

yes. because your party sets out to destroy lives and if left unchecked you nearly always resort to some kind of societal cleansing of the poor.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
So right now it looks like the Democrats have gained control of the House of Reps, while the Republicans have retained their control of the Senate. There's still a few undecided seats left atm, though they aren't going to change the outcome.

In New Jersey, Bob Menendez kept his Senate seat, beating Bob Hugin by about 9 points. Tom Malinowski beat Leonard Lance by roughly 2. I don't know how the races for the other House seats went in this state.

News was also saying about how now Congress now has its first 2 Muslim women or something. Apparently the nation now has its first openly gay governor now too.

Last edited:

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
oh yeah, so what happens when they do the recount, but the result ends up being the same, that it's super close?

The one with the most votes wins.

There's no rule saying "you need to win by at least 1% for the win to be valid". But the US generally works with a "meh, good enough" approach to vote-counting -meaning lots of miscounted or uncounted votes trickle in due to human and machine errors-, yet most races are decided by a large enough margin for the precise result to be irrelevant. But if the margin is too close, they review every ballot to make sure there aren't faulty machines causing some votes to be missed (a possibility in some precincts in Broward County, where elections are run by monkeys), or ballots with crosses instead of filled bubbles, or ink sapping into the other page and causing the machine to believe there are several votes, etc. And, once every ballot is reviewed, the one with the most votes wins.

Bush won the presidency in 2000 by about 500 votes in Florida, thanks to Broward (heavy D) messing up a few thousands of ballots that were deemed uncountable after weeks trying to figure out what party people had tried to vote for and failing to understand it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nah
Back