• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Writing Pokemon names and terms

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I might as well voice this old idea too.

The gist: a summary of how Pokemon names and terms are written, including inconsistencies and differing opinions. Examples:

- Plural (one Pikachu, two Pikachu)
- Capitalisation of species names, items, etc in writing. I caught a Pikachu, I caught a pikachu, etc. This has a history of different camps on which should be done in the fandom...
- Capitalisation of other non-Pokemon terms (e.g. Professor)
- Grass-type/Grass type (the official site can be inconsistent!)
- Form/formes (whyyy)
- The accented e

No need to discuss specifics here btw; will soon make a thread in FF&W's subsection for this topic. But thoughts on the article idea itself?

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
For Daily itself it would be a really great reference, but I doubt most people who don't formally write about Pokémon will care since it's easy to get away with improper grammar and spelling when online.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
For Daily itself it would be a really great reference, but I doubt most people who don't formally write about Pokémon will care since it's easy to get away with improper grammar and spelling when online.
For most people certainly, it isn't going to be of much use. It's more of a niche topic; just one I have interest in given fic background. (And I suppose the next time you hear/see someone say "look a lot of [pokemonname]s" you can point them to the article. :V)

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
The article has the potential to be interesting and I'd love to see it coming up, I'd love having some input on it too if that is desired, in particular re: solutions to the é-issue for those who have it. Do you plan on also exploring the historical evolution (heh) of some of those elements in both canon ("POKEMONNAME", "PRZCUREBERRY" in Gen1/Gen2 for example) and fanon?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The article has the potential to be interesting and I'd love to see it coming up, I'd love having some input on it too if that is desired, in particular re: solutions to the é-issue for those who have it. Do you plan on also exploring the historical evolution (heh) of some of those elements in both canon ("POKEMONNAME", "PRZCUREBERRY" in Gen1/Gen2 for example) and fanon?
Yes, input would be great! Was the motivation for the thread I made in the FF&W subsection. :B Solutions to stuff like that would be useful to include.

I certainly could @ historical evolution. E.g. Lucario (not entirely capitalised!) was seen in gen 4 demos, before they went back to ALL CAPS for the released game. Neat tidbit there.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Good then! I am available at usual consulting hours and can offer a nifty discount of ₽0 over my usual fee of ₽0.

Not sure how much if anything is personal opinion / "editorial" wanted, but besides my usual input I can also offer some stuff regarding how Spanish is somewhat special among the various languages the franchise is translated to. And depending on how much you want to delve into fanon (the entire capitalization thing, for example) I can offer some input on subjects such as the Spaceworld Beta mons and fanon efforts to translate Pokémon names and locations to artificial languages such as Ido and Esperanto.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Doubleposting but what ever happened to this? I'm still interested in contributing if there's some action to it.
I had it on my mind last month, but never did get around to it, and this month will probably be better served shifting to SwSh stuff, as it releases in under a fortnight. So maybe late November or December I'll dedicate some time to getting a draft done on it.

Giliforge

haha funnny!!!1!
Years
i know, i was just kidding. probably would be slightly annoyimg to type it like that.

Back