• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Garbodor

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
What do you guys think of the garbage Pokemon? Does it... stink? :) Share your thoughts on Garbodor's design!

Years
  • Age 37
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 27, 2023
First time I played, I forgot this was a poison type. During my battle with it, I see it uses poison moves which I did not like going up against. I looked up online to see its weakness and its weak against ground and psychic. Luckily for me, I had a Krookodile on my team and managed to defeat it with my Krookodile. Gym Leader Roxie has a Garbodor in the Anime and on the game, she doesn't use Garbodor when you battle her. The design is okay and it sort of reminds me of Five Nights at Freddy's.

Vragon

I never really had a problem with the mon. I don't really have design as much of a detraction since I prefer analyzing the mon without the design getting much scores (even if I do like a lot of mons with their designs being part of that).

The only one I really didn't like was in the battle subway against Ingo and Emmet. That one was annoying as heck with it's focus blast that refused to miss and it's weak armor ability.

Years
While its not a Pokemon that I'm fond of, I think people have over-exaggated really Garbodor. You'd think the end times were on us. I'd say Garbodor just looks more or less like a drawing of a swamp creature. There are pokemon who I dislike the design and concept of more from Mr. Mime to Probopass to the Ultrabeasts. There are certainly also less competent pokemon than Garbodor by no accounts is Garbador a bad Pokemon to use like Wormadam or Unown.

I think if this same Pokemon had just been called a gremlin or mud bunny it would not be nearly as controversial. Pokemon based on more abstract ideas and objects always divide fans. In this case Garbardor's not even the "cool" object that is okay to like such as say Aegislash. an enchanted sword. Instead Garbodor is based on a pile of garbage. People look to Pokemon for a world full of wonder, where creatures are beautiful, cool, mighty and even just plain cute. Whereas Garbodor is the harsh real word staring back at you. Its not pretty and its not meant to be, but people don't want that.

I have to be honest that I'm not even ready for this idea myself of the garbage pokemon, but I understand why GF made this pokemon and you have to give them credit for putting some thought into why its like this. Muk, Weeezing and Garbodor are intended to form a trinity each representing the pollution ravinging the sea, air and land. Dobbs had a good video about this on YouTube. At the end of the day I think Garbordor does make sense.

Last edited:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
I actually didn't notice how ugly it looked until I properly looked at it yesterday haha. For what it's worth I think it, and Trubbish, have amazing shiny formes. Their base formes on the other hand are just pretty gross when you think about it. It's something about the ears and the hands. I don't mind everything else but yeah... not my type at all.

It's not even that strong too, which is a disappointment. With all the pollution that is around you would think it would be like a mighty strong trash monster. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it is somehow linked to Guzzlord.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
From a design standpoint, Garbodor makes sense because it's literally a broken trash bag that happens to stink thanks to the Stench ability. Its move pool is interesting, but it wasn't particularly good back then before Black 2/White 2, as it lacked ways to reliably hit Steel Pokemon.

I have a respect for Garbodor in the trading card game though, as three good cards based on it were released, two of which had the game-changing Garbotoxin ability, which negated all other abilities while Garbodor had a tool attached; the other had the potent Trashalanche attack, whose damage scaled based on the opponent's used-up items. If they had a lot, they were in for a bad time.

Back