The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games ROM Hacking Help
[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

ROM Hacking Help Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old July 29th, 2013 (6:47 PM).
Oh Hai Thar~

Nature: Careful
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokefreake View Post
I'm trying to edit Pallet town, but some of the scripts I made are messed up. Like some of the people are in different places and I can't remove the sprites. I removed the map scripts, but the problem is still happening. Does anyone know how to fix this? I don't want to make the maps all over again :(.
Have you removed the “level scripts” on that map that changes the NPC's locations on the map?
Spoiler:

Old July 29th, 2013 (6:50 PM). Edited July 29th, 2013 by dd409.
For the Swarm!

Nature: Lax
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
    Porting routines isn't easy, but it is the very first thing I learned how to do with ASM. You best shot, is to go to those addresses in a clean Fire Red and a hex editor and then copy the surrounding bytes and search for them in an Emerald rom. If they are RAM addresses, then those are much tougher to locate. Try looking for groups of bytes that are the same, but with different pointers at the end.

I must say, if you have never hacked before, I highly doubt you will be able to do this. I would have a tough time.
    Yeah, doing something like that was my first thought. I've only dabbled in rom editing, and haven't done much with asm. Gotta learn some time I guess :P

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the 0x08YYYYYY addresses are for the rom itself, so if I had to guess 0x02YYYYYY is RAM and 0x06YYYYYY is VRAM? How should I go about viewing those, since opening the rom in a hex editor will only let me look at the 0x08 stuff?

EDIT: I also noticed there is a 0x00YYYYYY address in there (0x00003258)... what area does that one point, or how would I go about looking at it?

EDIT 2: It seems that 0x00YYYYYY is in the BIOS. Since the BIOS is (or at least should be) constant for any GBA game, I'm going to try leaving that one alone.
    Long ago, the 90's Nicktoons lived together in harmony... then everything changed when the 2000's attacked. Only Avatar, the best of the new Nicktoons could save them. But when Nick needed it most, it finished. Four years passed and Mike and Bryan created a new Avatar: Legend of Korra. Although the show itself is great, it has a long way to go before it can live up to the Last Airbender. But I believe Korra can save Nickelodeon.
    Old July 30th, 2013 (3:39 AM).
    Working...Don't bother me...

Nature: Bold
      How to make Visual Basic 6 Runtime work under Windows 8(I'm a music maker and it's reaaaly urgent 'cause I'll need to use Sappy and it needs the VB Runtime)
      Old July 30th, 2013 (4:17 AM).
      What happens if I push it?....

Quote:
        Originally Posted by dd409 View Post
        Yeah, doing something like that was my first thought. I've only dabbled in rom editing, and haven't done much with asm. Gotta learn some time I guess :P

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the 0x08YYYYYY addresses are for the rom itself, so if I had to guess 0x02YYYYYY is RAM and 0x06YYYYYY is VRAM? How should I go about viewing those, since opening the rom in a hex editor will only let me look at the 0x08 stuff?

EDIT: I also noticed there is a 0x00YYYYYY address in there (0x00003258)... what area does that one point, or how would I go about looking at it?

EDIT 2: It seems that 0x00YYYYYY is in the BIOS. Since the BIOS is (or at least should be) constant for any GBA game, I'm going to try leaving that one alone.
        Actually, the 0x00003258 is not a pointer, but rather a constant number that would be added to a pointer to reach a new location or such. You never, ever call addresses in the BIOS directly. You would call SWI functions .

Paired with Simba
        Old July 30th, 2013 (6:42 AM). Edited July 30th, 2013 by Pia Carrot.
        Let's play a game...

Nature: Adamant
        Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to have a semi-transparent textbox, and how would I go to implementing it?

EDIT: I'm using Emerald version.

Old July 30th, 2013 (8:51 AM).
        ASTRO

Nature: Relaxed
        For Emerald, is there anyway to assign individual cries to the 25 free Pokémon spaces? They currently play the Unown cry and whenever I assign a cry to two or more it becomes corrupt.
        Old July 30th, 2013 (8:53 AM).

Quote:
          Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
          For Emerald, is there anyway to assign individual cries to the 25 free Pokémon spaces? They currently play the Unown cry and whenever I assign a cry to two or more it becomes corrupt.
          Yes, but you have to repoint all of the data. That is what is causing your issues.

Paired with Simba
          Old July 30th, 2013 (9:57 AM).

Quote:
            Pallet Towns map scripts do move a lot of the person events around. Are you 100% sure they are gone, and no map scripts are present? Also, are you sure you are testing the right map? One time, I had multiple maps of the same thing, but with different scripts (for different times in the game) and I was editing one and not seeing the changes in game, because I was testing the wrong one. So, that is something to also look out for.
            Yes i'm using the right map. It's the only one I edited so far :p.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by destinedjagold View Post
            Have you removed the “level scripts” on that map that changes the NPC's locations on the map?
            Yes i've removed those and it's still happening.
            Old July 30th, 2013 (10:24 AM).

Quote:
              Yes i'm using the right map. It's the only one I edited so far :p.

Yes i've removed those and it's still happening.
              A video would be nice. Use bandicam or something and show us what is in A-map and the nwhat it looks like in game.

Paired with Simba
              Old July 30th, 2013 (10:41 AM).
              ASTRO

Quote:
              Yes, but you have to repoint all of the data. That is what is causing your issues.
              So how would I re point the data? The method I'm trying doesn't seem to be working but rather still using the same cries for the empty spaces.
              Old July 30th, 2013 (2:02 PM).

*facepalm* I figured out the problem... I was using a save state instead of starting from the beginning to test it out so it didn't remove the map scripts. Thanks everyone!
                Old July 30th, 2013 (9:35 PM).
                For the Swarm!

Does anyone have a copy of the IPS for Wichu's Emerald decapitalization patch? The only link in existence is his link to 2Shared, which it seems is dead; I've looked, and it seems like no one else on the entirety of the internet has it hosted somewhere else.
                  Long ago, the 90's Nicktoons lived together in harmony... then everything changed when the 2000's attacked. Only Avatar, the best of the new Nicktoons could save them. But when Nick needed it most, it finished. Four years passed and Mike and Bryan created a new Avatar: Legend of Korra. Although the show itself is great, it has a long way to go before it can live up to the Last Airbender. But I believe Korra can save Nickelodeon.
                  Old July 31st, 2013 (7:12 AM). Edited July 31st, 2013 by AtecainCorp..
                  Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
                    Karatekid552? Can you give me adress to CRY ASM Pointer? Without Adress I do not do anything. You said that you know that routine adress.

Quote:
                    Does anyone have a copy of the IPS for Wichu's Emerald decapitalization patch? The only link in existence is his link to 2Shared, which it seems is dead; I've looked, and it seems like no one else on the entirety of the internet has it hosted somewhere else.
                    You do not need this Patch to Decapitalization. Only what you need is ITEM and Pokemon Editors. <For Pokemon i Preffer POKEMON EDITOR from GBA POKEMON EDITOR set. And rewrite names but without CAPS LOCK mode XD
                    Old July 31st, 2013 (7:21 AM).

Quote:
                      I uploaded it here for you.
                      http://www.sendspace.com/file/1ywgq5
                      Old July 31st, 2013 (7:33 AM).

Hi, when I use open script in advance map, the script is always different from the one I made from before. Is there anyway to convert it back to normal or will I need to save all my scripts for future editing?

Thanks in advance =)
                        Old July 31st, 2013 (7:34 AM). Edited July 31st, 2013 by takeKopter.

Nature: Gentle
                          Quote:
                          while the others may say you don't need this, it does save your time. check the attachment. (i found it on may last year, the link's dead now lol)
                          EDIT: what? it's already answered :s

now i want to ask noob question:
                          in hackmew's free space finder, what do i do with "skip interval"? do i have to fill it the same as the "needed bytes"? or just leave it 0? thanks
                          Attached Files
                          File Type: ips Pokemon Fire Red-Prepped IPS.ips‎ (21.6 KB, 0 views) (Save to Dropbox)
                          Old July 31st, 2013 (8:01 AM).

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by innovationz View Post
                            Hi, when I use open script in advance map, the script is always different from the one I made from before. Is there anyway to convert it back to normal or will I need to save all my scripts for future editing?

Thanks in advance =)
                            I'm not sure if XSE has this function, but in pksv you can save your script so you can edit it later. You can also keep a text document or something.
                            Old July 31st, 2013 (8:09 AM). Edited July 31st, 2013 by dd409.
                            For the Swarm!

Quote:
                              I uploaded it here for you.
                              I appreciate it, but that looks like the Fire Red one. I'm looking for the one he made for Emerald.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found an Emerald decap done by dkp in the Rom Hacking Resources thread.

Quote:
                              Originally Posted by Ksiazek Bartlomiej View Post
                              Karatekid552? Can you give me adress to CRY ASM Pointer? Without Adress I do not do anything. You said that you know that routine adress.

You do not need this Patch to Decapitalization. Only what you need is ITEM and Pokemon Editors. <For Pokemon i Preffer POKEMON EDITOR from GBA POKEMON EDITOR set. And rewrite names but without CAPS LOCK mode XD
                              I know I could and it wouldn't be difficult, but it would be incredibly time consuming. There's no need to reinvent the wheel unless it's necessary. There's a lot of text that would need decapping, and if someone else has done it before it would be a better time saver to use that as a base.
                              Old July 31st, 2013 (9:29 AM).
                              Bug reporter

Which is the best trainer editor for Diamond/Pearl? I need to know...

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old July 31st, 2013 (3:59 PM).
                                Drag a needle on the good today

Spiky's DS Map Editor has a built-in trainer editor.

My Favorite Song
                                  Old July 31st, 2013 (6:02 PM).
                                  Oh Hai Thar~

Nature: Careful
                                  Question: are there any scripting tutorials for DS PKMN games? Preferably for HG/SS or B/W. :3
                                  I've been searching for hours yesterday, but I only found one, which was to make simple text speeches. :/

Old July 31st, 2013 (6:11 PM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                    Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by Suicune™ View Post
                                    So how would I re point the data? The method I'm trying doesn't seem to be working but rather still using the same cries for the empty spaces.
                                    What exactly are you doing right now? Before inserting new cries (which can be a pain) have you first tried swapping pointers with already existing cries to see what happens?

Paired with Simba
                                    Old July 31st, 2013 (10:52 PM).
                                    Bug reporter

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by jsziede View Post
                                      Spiky's DS Map Editor has a built-in trainer editor.
                                      It is the only? Thanks in advance.

And i'm a good bug reporter. Contact me if you want :D

Old August 1st, 2013 (2:17 AM). Edited August 1st, 2013 by Wobbu.
                                      Drag a needle on the good today

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by Hacker Bisharp View Post
                                        It is the only? Thanks in advance.
                                        I know that there are some other DS trainer editors lying around in the Toolbox sub-forum, but I don't think that they can edit all of the trainers, just Gym Leaders and people like that. Maybe if you dig deep enough you might be able to find one. You could also hex edit the trainers, which wouldn't be too hard if you knew the offsets.

Quote:
                                        Originally Posted by takeKopter View Post
                                        now i want to ask noob question:
                                        in hackmew's free space finder, what do i do with "skip interval"? do i have to fill it the same as the "needed bytes"? or just leave it 0? thanks
                                        Skip interval would be how many bytes separate each search. You can just leave it at 16, it doesn't really matter as long as you click Search instead of Find Next.
                                        Spoiler:

Notice how each offset is 20 bytes higher than the previous.

My Favorite Song
                                        Old August 1st, 2013 (3:32 AM).
                                        Rejishan awake...

Location: Takoabe Town (Region Thonsu)
                                          Nature: Hardy
                                          Someone finally give me that ASM pointer for CRIES on Pokemon Emerald?

Quick Reply