• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: What kind of ROM Hacking do you specialize in?

What kind of ROM Hacking do you specialize in?

• Mapping

Votes: 55 60.4%
  • Scripting

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • Spriting

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Hex Tiles

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 29 31.9%

• Total voters

The Void

hiiiii
Years
I'm an intermediate-advanced sort of scripter and an experienced mapper.
I can make a good deal of scripts including setmaptile, camera movements, setvar, compare var, flags, and many more.
As for mapping, well, I can't say I'm an expert or anything, but I'm quite experienced at it.

So what about you?

Years
I'd say scripting is my strongest attribute; I've made a few colossal scripts in the past few months. Although through lurking these forums for over a year, I've actually learned a lot more skills including tile inserting, music insertion, music looping, mapping (to a certain degree), spriting and a little ASM. After gaining knowledge in the areas to my own satisfactory level, I've decided to start up my hack again and have been working on it for the past few months now as a "one-man jobbie", so to speak. Am I rambling? I'll end it here.

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2013
I'm pretty new to the hacking scene, but I have a bit of experience creating sprites. I'm interested in learning how to map and script, but I'm going to wait until after I have firm footing with my not-perfect spriting skills.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
Years
By spriting, do you mean drawing sprites or editing sprites in the ROM? Because I don't think the former qualifies as ROM Hacking.

Years
  • Seen Aug 8, 2013
By spriting, do you mean drawing sprites or editing sprites in the ROM? Because I don't think the former qualifies as ROM Hacking.
I do a bit of both. But I would think spriting something custom for a hack would count too.

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
I do everything that doesn't take a lot of effort. I might get around to music/asm one day, but school keeps me busy. Plus asm is so low-level it's just boring, and I'm not even sure if games do it anymore. They might, for some more complicated stuff but eh. High level languages forever.

As for regular scripting, I'm almost an expert. Just because of experience, and because it's ridiculously easy. Trust me, any script you make is basic stuff. ANYONE can do it. But just because randomromhackermewtwoisking4389439823 can make a hack, doesn't mean he should.

Also I'm not horrible at mapping. I'm improving, but 3rd gen maps are pretty dull. 1st and 2nd gen graphics have a nice charm to them, (because they're just so bad, but they know they're bad) and 4th and 5th gens have 3D graphics, but 3rd gen is still flat, and is like a bad ripoff of 3D models.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I'm beginning to learn to script, and I can fully consider myself an expert at mapping. I also can tileinsert, but that's not really a "skill", it's more like a procedure.

marcc5m

what
Years
I can map LIKE A BOSS
I can script LIKE A BOSS
Insert tiles LIKE A BOSS
And sprite LIKE A BOSS
And I can do some minor hexy things...LIKE A BOSS

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Well ever since I started hacking around 2-3 years ago I was always good at creating/matching the graphics of the game together, meaning tiles, palettes, the style etc. That probably went hand in hand with my mapping, though I was never really that good at scripting or changing some of the deeper functions of the games so I always had to rely on just the visual presentation ^^.

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
I do mostly ASM these days. My hacking focus has never been creation so much as documentation—I like figuring out how the games work.

DarkWolf13

Battle Subway Editor
Years
I specialize in Trainer editing for B/W! It's a lot of fun modifying the trainer's roster and the levels, movesets, even the abilities. I have BWTE and I love my modified version of Black. It's more fun and harder. I even modified the Champion to have the team I had in White and the GameFreak guy to have my Emerald version team. They're NOT EVEN Lv100

AustinWolff

has left
Years
once I learn move camera and level scripts I will be a master at scripting (hence my signature) but I am an expert mapper. my only flaw: I haven't learned to tile insert

Lyzak

wishes he had a Hacking Team
Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2012
Creativity
My programs are lacking because my major OS is Macintosh (my windows side lacks volume control), but on my desk are oodles and oodles of piles of papers, with everything from plot details to geography to music.

In sum:
Plot arc/dialogue writing
Music Composition
Mapping (tile creation perhaps, except that I don't know exactly how it works, and my software has shoddy palette-recognition capabilities)

Sawakita

Not Invented Here
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 17, 2019
The kind of ROM hacking I specialize in is... ROM hacking: figuring out data structures, disassembling ASM routines, expanding existing engine functions.

How exactly are spriting, mapping and tile-design part of the ROM hacking process?

masterquestmq

Enthusiastic Rom Hacker
Years
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
The kind of ROM hacking I specialize in is... ROM hacking: figuring out data structures, disassembling ASM routines, expanding existing engine functions.

How exactly are spriting, mapping and tile-design part of the ROM hacking process?

That's a bit harsh. Those who work with graphics should be considered hackers too. the definition of Rom Hacking is "ROM hacking is the process of modifying a video game ROM image to alter the game's graphics, dialogue, levels, gameplay, or other elements." (qtd. wikipedia)

therefore those who map and sprite are also hackers. doesn't matter how good u are in ASM at the end of the day grahics mapping AND scripts is what makes up a hack.

As for me to stay on topic i'd say intermediate scripting and mapping for now. Still plenty more to learn thankfully we have generous ppl on PC.

Back