• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: How do you feel about the Day Care?

Is the Day Care important to include in a ROM hack?

• Yes

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 14 77.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Oct 26, 2023
In the Fire Red hack I'm working on, I'm adding Fakemon. To avoid messing around with egg moves, I'm considering just not including the Day Care. How would you feel about this? Does the Day Care seem like a necessary feature to you?

Thanks for the input.

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
The Day Care isn't a big deal at all. Most people just train their Pokemon themselves. Breeding is cool but it isn't a make or break kind of feature. If you have an overall awesome ROMhack, no one's gonna decide not to play it just because you don't have a freaking day care.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
's not really necessary unless the hack it's in is long, involved, and would otherwise be "incomplete" without it. Which is pretty rare.

So yeah, unless it allows for competitive play or is in some way both balanced and long enough to have EV-based play, I say it'd just stand as a nice extra and not much else.

scotchkorean27

Programmer/Pastry Enthusiast
Years
The day care fulfills a very specific purpose, which, depending on your design intentions, isn't really necessary in your hack. If your hack is designed to be a very challenging and punishing game that requires optimization and dedicated teambuilding, then the Day Care is a necessary step to facilitating that sort of gameplay and feel. Additionally, it is just kind of nice for flavor in general. If preserving the Day Care means opening up a whole can of worms for a design you're not even aiming for, I doubt it would be a huge loss.

Years
To be honest I never used the Day Care, maybe I'm a noob but I dont really care about this feature...

Alternatively, you could keep the daycare but lose the breeding functionality by giving access to the Daycare on the Route south of Cerulean and only ONE of the Daycare couple on Four Island. That way, your player can deposit two Pokemon in the Daycare for the levels, but they will never breed. Just put them in the same place and edit some scripts and it'll look just like the traditional Daycare.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
I don't understand what you mean by "avoid messing around with egg moves." Why do fakemon require egg moves? Why not leave the breeding and simply remove the egg moves for them? It seems like an unnecessary dilemma.

Ivee

Ask me about Trailblazer :3
Years
  • Seen May 22, 2019
Alternatively, you could keep the daycare but lose the breeding functionality by giving access to the Daycare on the Route south of Cerulean and only ONE of the Daycare couple on Four Island. That way, your player can deposit two Pokemon in the Daycare for the levels, but they will never breed. Just put them in the same place and edit some scripts and it'll look just like the traditional Daycare.

Another way to go about this is to put all the Fakemon into the Undiscovered egg group.

Back