• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

old but gold

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Are there any video game "classics" you still enjoy today, or any older games from previous generations you think still hold up really well now? Or are you less sentimental and prefer newer games?

TY

Depends on what time period can be seen as the previous generation

If we go by everything before 2000, C&C Tiberian Dawn easily comes to mind

Years
I can mention a lot of them, mortal kombat: deadly alliance, deception and armageddon, doom i, ii and iii, duke nukem 3d, counter-strike 1.6 and source, gta iii, vice city, san andreas and iv, super mario bros and team fortress 2.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen today
Going back a few gens with mine, as i still play a lot of last gen games regularly (probably more so than current gen)

711-1108658667-3533e800f11fa8c9aa5a02ce9ac4048b.jpg

Fallout 2

FO2 isn't my favorite in the series (That'd be New Vegas) but it arguably presents the best RPG experience in the franchise. Great world, music, characters and writing in a living world you heavily impact.

Final_Fantasy_VI.jpg

Final Fantasy 6

I still do a play-through of this normally once a year. This is the ultimate FF experience for me.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
It's always nice to go back and play the games that got me into gaming as kid. Namely, Super Mario World, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Yoshi's Island. They might not have aged gracefully, but they're still quite fun to play.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
It's always nice to go back and play the games that got me into gaming as kid. Namely, Super Mario World, TMNT IV: Turtles in Time, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest and Yoshi's Island. They might not have aged gracefully, but they're still quite fun to play.

I still have Turtles 4. Gone an entire game without losing a life. Even did level 1 without losing a single life point. Embarrassingly though, I didn't unlock the final secret to SMW until about a year ago. I had a feeling I knew where the final secret was but couldn't quite figure out how to access it. Then I figured it out and was like... you've got to be kidding me(it was facepalm worthy).

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I am generally not a very sentimental person, but one game that will always be great to me, no matter how old it gets, is Tetris. :P I can never get bored of it.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
"Maniac Mansion" as for point and click adventure games.

It was very ahead of its time. Being able to choose between a variety of characters, and each having unique traits that helped progress. Also the multiple endings.

Years
I am a sentimental nostalgia freak who cannot bear to throw away old lint. So yeah, I'm fairly obsessed with the older games - even though I haven't played them in what feels like aeons, and most of them I only watched. These titles are from the golden days that were my younger years:

Mischief Makers from good old 1997 - whatever the fuck that was like lmao - Ocarina of Time, Golden Eye, Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Gex: Enter the Gecko, MediEvil, Pokemon Stadium, Mario Party, Blast Corps, Banjo Kazooie and Crash Bandicoot.

I'll go a little more recent with Beyond Good and Evil. Writing a fanfiction about it to Sharnee Russel while inhaling a medley of cinnamon sticks and cloves... and playing it while eating gelatin snakes and hyperventilating... and sitting in a dank shed and watching it... good lord those were the days. The very recent days, save the last.

Years
Definitely Wild Arms. It's kind of a shame that only WA3 is playable on the PS4, as WA4, despite its cheesy plot, has gameplay that's just as engaging, and the same applies to WA5 if not moreso.

Classics that everyone should play at some point.

Guest123_x1

The early Super Mario games, and the first generation of Pok?mon games are the 'classics' that I enjoy the most. My video gaming experience actually began with the aforementioned Mario games, particularly the first Super Mario Bros. on the NES.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
I may be relatively young, but I think it's good to go back and see where everything started. I don't play a ton of old games but I'm certainly not opposed to them (I do prefer modern though :p)

Back