The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Pokémon Gaming Central
The hardest Legendary to catch?

Pokémon Gaming Central For topics that aren't necessarily restricted to one game, Pokémon Gaming Central ranges from comparing and contrasting the differences in the gaming generations to discussing the gaming franchise as a whole.

Old May 5th, 2018 (7:47 AM).

Nature: Serious
We've got Pokemon that roam about at random, have super-confusing locations to navigate, recovery moves that draw out the battle or lots of unusual requirements like trading other pokemon or deciphering codes. Some pokemon simply just appear at very high levels that make them challenging.

Who was the most daunting legendary for you to capture?

Name: Narcissus
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
Old May 5th, 2018 (8:07 AM). Edited May 5th, 2018 by Enpatsu Shakugan.
The Unyielding Flame

Nature: Adamant
Anything that roams.

You have to find them, get ONE turn because they flee and then there's multiple more even if you manage it.

I don't care about legendaries, but these are by far the worst because of that. I found myself caring even LESS about them.

"I'm a talking cat."
Old May 5th, 2018 (8:53 AM).

I'd say it's definitely the roaming legendaries. They're always such a pain lol
    Old May 5th, 2018 (9:44 AM).

Nature: Quiet
      I agree with the two above posts. Anything that roams.
      Old May 6th, 2018 (2:12 PM).
      my posts are canon.

Nature: Relaxed
        This might not fit the requirements exactly because the hard part isn't actually catching them, but unlocking them. The regis in Ruby & Sapphire were the hardest legendaries to get a hold of. Back then, at least for kids my age, the internet wasn't so easy to navigate. This made all the little requirements EXTREMELY difficult to figure out on your own. I actually can't even remember if I was able to figure it out on my own or if i ended up asking my older brother for help. Funny enough, the roaming legendaries from G/S/C weren't that hard for me since they usually just showed up while i was walking from point a to point b. Guess I was just lucky there.

Old May 6th, 2018 (3:44 PM). Edited May 6th, 2018 by Levea.

i suppose i will participate in this discussion. In my honest opinion roaming legendaries are fine as Trapping trivializes the searching over and over part but ironically i would have to say FRLG roaming pokemon specifically Entei and raikou. personally in my life time i have never encountered them. if someone does the Roar bug will ruin it as it causes the beasts to disappear from the save file forcing the player to not use the shadow tag/Arena trap trick to catch them.

Old May 6th, 2018 (5:43 PM).

Nature: Mild
          I struggle at catching any legendary that uses recover.
          Old May 6th, 2018 (5:57 PM).
          Artist and Streamer | Also a turnip

Nature: Impish
            I love roamers to death, but I have to objectively put the FRLG roamers as both hardest and worst to catch in any game ever for one simple reason: the PokéDex resets to Bulbasaur's position every time you check it and even I don't have the patience for that.

1/8192 shiny odds? Good.
            Finding Feebas? Good.
            Catching level 15 Dragonair in Gen I? Good.
            FRLG roamers? No. No no no.

I have limits ;_;
            Old May 6th, 2018 (7:22 PM).

Nature: Jolly
            FR/LG Zapdos and Emerald Rayquaza are the bane of my existence.

I don't really think even Mewtwo was that hard to catch. RNG really hated me when I was a kid.
            Old May 8th, 2018 (7:45 AM).
            I have it

Nature: Rash
              Even among all the roamers, catching FRLG's roamers would suck hard assuming you're conservative of that psyducking Master Ball.
              Old May 15th, 2018 (8:32 PM).

Nature: Serious
              This answer might surprise a lot of people but I found the legendary birds in XY the most infuriating roamers. They technically become stationary eventually I know, but I thought they were worse to catch than the legendary beasts or the Lati twins, Mesprit or other roamers because in the previous cases at least the legendaries become fair game as soon as you see them. You can throw your master ball or try to trap them with mean look or shadow tag. But with these legendaries you encounter them in the wild but can't do trubbish about it. They run away automatically and you are not even prompted to catch them.

This is not like a one time thing. You have to run into them over and over again like a dozen times. Wtf? Why?

This is not say like Suicune in the Johto games where she interacts with your trainer sprite and runs away a couple of times at a set location as part of the story. Your encounter with the legendary bird is completely random.

I have never caught one of the birds in XY. Its just way too much time investment. I'm willing to ride up and down the route to trigger 1 encounter, but not 10. I just don't really see the point of this. Its so tedious, and unlike with Eusine's character in Crystal/ HGSS there isn't much explanation for why this is happening.

Q: What is worse than looking for a roaming legendary?

A: Having it flee from you.

Q: What is worse than having it flee from you?

A: Having it flee from you 9 different times.

Q: What is worse than having a roaming legendary flee from you 9 times?

A: Having it flee when you had a friggin master ball right there in your bag each time.

You don't know when your going to encounter this Pokemon again, it can change routes. You have to have this same fruitless encounter over and over again, with no real explanation. No, it just wasn't even worth it. I have caught roamers before but not these.

I was at the end of Pokemon Y and had done everything beat the E4, conquered the battle chateau, Maison and institute, looker's side quest, caught all the other legendaries, and still had seen Moltres only twice. No, just no...

Name: Narcissus
              Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
              Old May 15th, 2018 (9:25 PM). Edited May 17th, 2018 by Enpatsu Shakugan.
              The Unyielding Flame

Quote:
              Originally Posted by VisionofMilotic View Post
              This answer might surprise a lot of people but I found the legendary birds in XY the most infuriating roamers. They technically become stationary eventually I know, but I thought they were worse to catch than the legendary beasts or the Lati twins, Mesprit or other roamers because in the previous cases at least the legendaries become fair game as soon as you see them. You can throw your master ball or try to trap them with mean look or shadow tag. But with these legendaries you encounter them in the wild but can't do trubbish about it. They run away automatically and you are not even prompted to catch them.

This is not like a one time thing. You have to run into them over and over again like a dozen times. Wtf? Why?

This is not say like Suicune in the Johto games where she interacts with your trainer sprite and runs away a couple of times at a set location as part of the story. Your encounter with the legendary bird is completely random.

I have never caught one of the birds in XY. Its just way too much time investment. I'm willing to ride up and down the route to trigger 1 encounter, but not 10. I just don't really see the point of this. Its so tedious, and unlike with Eusine's character in Crystal/ HGSS there isn't much explanation for why this is happening.

Q: What is worse than looking for a roaming legendary?

A: Having it flee from you.

Q: What is worse than having it flee from you?

A: Having it flee from you 9 different times.

Q: What is worse than having a roaming legendary flee from you 9 times?

A: Having it flee when you had a friggin master ball right there in your bag each time.

You don't know when your going to encounter this Pokemon again, it can change routes. You have to have this same fruitless encounter over and over again, with no real explanation. No, it just wasn't even worth it. I have caught roamers before but not these.

I was at the end of Pokemon Y and had done everything beat the E4, conquered the battle chateau, Maison and institute, looker's side quest, caught all the other legendaries, and still had seen Moltres only twice. No, just no...
              Obviously so elusive, I didn't even know they were in the game at all. :/
              Old May 17th, 2018 (10:49 AM).
              A Big Gaming Fan

I can't catch any legendary at the moment.
                Old May 18th, 2018 (8:31 AM).
                Banned

Nature: Hasty
                  For me, the most hardest Legendary to catch is the Legendary Dogs. First of all, they are roaming here and there in the entire johto region. Thats why, we have to go random places to search them, which is really annoying. Moreover, even if you find them they will escape and again you need to search them.
                  Old May 20th, 2018 (7:44 PM).
                  The Mustachioed Machamp

Nature: Quiet
                    I'd consider any roaming legendary Pokémon to be the hardest, simply because of how hard it is to track them down. The legendary beasts were especially hard since they run away as soon as they can, meaning that even if you find one, it will be gone after a single turn unless you have a way to trap them.
                    Old May 25th, 2018 (12:45 AM).

Nature: Quirky
                    Pretty much all the roamers. Much like what the others said, they are a nightmare if you don't have a Master Ball.

http://daikenkki.tumblr.com/
                    Old May 25th, 2018 (4:26 AM).
                    Owl + Bear =
                    Owlbear

Location: That place called... Wait, what was it called again?
                    I had a lot of trouble with Regice in one of my Emerald runs. Got it nice down to 1 HP with False Swipe and gave it a Paralysis. Still, it managed to Struggle itself to death. Three times in a row.

Oh yeah, and of course anything that roams is annoying, but I usually just throw a Master Ball to those for exactly that reason.
                    Old May 25th, 2018 (4:22 PM).
                    Unprofessional Unprofessional

Roamers are pretty hard, I'd agree. You either have to encounter it a lot of times, meaning spending hours looking for it, or you have to be prepared with a fast Mean Look pokemon like Crobat, which can take a while to prepare.

For a non roamer, I think Lugia is pretty hard. In most games, it doesn't have much pp to begin with: usually having Aeroblast and Hydro Pump as 2 of its moves, both of which have 5 pp. So it has a higher chance of struggling before capture compared to other legendaries. Pretty annoying.
                      Living Pokedex Complete: Y, C, LG, E, Pl, HG, B, B2, X, Y, OR, AS, M, UM
                      Big thanks especially to DestinedJagold, Xerneas_X, Elements1 and ~RNC~

PM me if you want to trade, or add my FC.
                      Old May 26th, 2018 (4:29 AM).
                      ---

Any legendary that uses Recover over and over.
                        Old May 26th, 2018 (5:12 AM).

The major problem with most legendary pokemon is capturing them is god-darned RNG-heavy capture mechanics. Their low capture rate exacerbates this issue to ridiculous proportions because, in most cases, you have a very low chance (I estimate... maybe 5% at most) of capturing them per throw under optimal conditions. There is no challenge to this; it's just repeatedly throwing pokeballs at the pokemon until you capture them and praying that it doesn't go so long as to cause them to struggle.

Roaming legends, with their ability to run away, are ten times worse. It's a huge pain capturing them to begin with; much less having to chase after them and then getting only 1 turn to capture them before they run when you do catch up with them. There are ways to trivialize them, but they require bringing specific pokemon which may or may not be at a disadvantage against them.
                          Old June 2nd, 2018 (3:48 PM).
                          Has returned

Yeah gotta agree all the romaing legendarys are surely the toughest to catch. Just for the sake of conversation though, I always thought the legendary birds in FRLG were always tough to catch, don't know if it was just my bad luck, but Moltres and co always took me AGES to catch.
                          Old June 6th, 2018 (6:34 AM).
                          アンヘロさん は、コミュ症です

Raikou and Thundurus, because
                          1. they roam
                          2. they're immune to paralysis

I only listen to high-quality video game rips.

Quick Reply