• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] The Tri-Species Challenge

Volga

The Dragon Knight
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 19, 2023
The Tri-Species Challenge

The Challenge:
The Tri-Species Challenge is a challenge where you use three Pokemon to complete a game.​

Rules:
1. You can only use your three Pokemon you signed up with. You cannot use any other Pokemon under any circumstances, if all of your Pokemon faint, and you have HM Slaves, you must let them faint, not battle at all. NFE Pokemon are allowed to be used, and you can use as many HM slaves as you need.
2. To complete each game, you must:
RBGYFRLG - Defeat your Rival as Champion
GSCHGSS - Defeat Lance (Kanto and Red are now optional)
RSEORAS - Defeat Steven(RSORAS*)/Wallace(E)
DPPt - Defeat Cynthia
BWB2W2 - Defeat Ghetsis(BW)/Iris(B2W2)
XY - Defeat Diantha
3. Legendaries are not recommended, as they will take away the challenge, but you absolutely can if you want.
4. Pokemon-Amie/Refresh is banned, with Sylveon having a two heart exception. Mega Evolution and Z-Crystals are banned.
5. You can sign-up for Single, Ultimate, or Rule-Free. Single is one game, ultimate is one game of each generation, and Rule-Free is no rules.
6. Hacks are allowed, but full hacks are not allowed in Ultimates. Enhanced Hacks (eg. Blaze Black, Sacred Gold) however, are allowed in Ultimates.
7. Have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hacking/Trading Rules: (These are a must read)
Spoiler:

Sign-Up
Username:
Version: *If this is a hack, please say both the hack name and the base game.
Single/Ultimate//Rule-Free?: *Single is one game, Ultimate is going through all six regions.
Pokemon: *If you are using fully evolved Pokemon, make sure to post those, if you post NFEs, I will assume you play through the entire game as so.

Username: Alex Taylor
Version: Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, Y
Single/Ultimate/Rule-Free?: Ultimate
Pokemon: Aggron/Flygon/Walrein

Single Challengers:
Spoiler:

Single Champions:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Challengers:
Spoiler:

Ultimate Champions:
Spoiler:

Rule-Free Challengers:
Spoiler:

Rule-Free Champions:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years

Dual sign-ups!

Username: Enigma
Version: FireRed, HeartGold, Emerald, Platinum, Black 2, X
Single/Ultimate//Rule-Free?: Ultimate
Pokemon: (Shiny) Zapdos, Raikou, Latias

Username: Enigma
Version: Black 2
Single/Ultimate//Rule-Free?: Single
Pokemon: Giratina, Darkrai, Zekrom

I'll probably also do a non-legendary one at some point, but I've yet to decide which three I wanna use for that.

Years
Username: AoTora
Version: Fire Red Omega
Single/Ultimate/Rule-Free?: Single
Pokemon: Swampert, Blaziken and Sceptile.

Username: AoTora
Version: Yellow
Single/Ultimate/Rule-Free?: Single
Pokemon: Arcanine, Blastoise and Pikachu

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years

Ultimate Tri-Species Challenge

zapdos.png
raikou.png
latias.png
trispecieskanto_zps3faxfs9m.png

FireRed; Complete!

Picked Squirtle as my starter, and soon after acquired my team.
Trained my team up to level 10, then defeated Brock.
Defeated Team Rocket in Mt. Moon.
Defeated Misty pretty easily.
Boarded the SS Anne, got HM01 Cut, and got off the ship.
Defeated Lt. Surge.
Traveled through Rock Tunnel to get to Lavender Town, then to Celadon City.
Defeated Team Rocket again, then defeated Erika.
Finally got enough coins to spend on a TM24 Thunderbolt for Kirin.
Cleared out Pokemon Tower to get the Poke Flute, then went down to Fuchsia City and defeated Koga.
Defeated Team Rocket once again at Silph Co.
Defeated Sabrina.
Got the Secret Key from Pokemon Mansion.
Traveled back to the Power Plant to get TM25 Thunder.
Flew back to Cinnabar and defeated Blaine.
Rescued Lostelle.
Defeated Giovanni.
Flew back to Celadon to get another TM24, this time for Chidori.
Cleared out Victory Road and trained my team up a sufficient amount.
Fought the Elite Four and the Champion and won, thus completing the Kanto region!

Team Stats

Spr_3r_243_s.png

Kirin (Raikou) Lv. 51
Thunderbolt, Bite, Toxic, Quick Attack

Spr_3f_145_s.png

Chidori (Zapdos) Lv. 61
Thunderbolt, Drill Peck, Rain Dance, Thunder

Spr_3r_380_s.png

Kaiten (Latias) ♀ Lv. 61
Psychic, Wish, Dragonbreath, Surf

Limesar

Pronounced Lime-sahr
Years
  • Age 25
  • No
  • Seen Aug 26, 2021
Username: Limesar
Version: Platinum
Single/Ultimate/Rule-Free: Single (Rule-Free depending on how you determine my situation)
Pokemon: Floatzel, Porygon, Houndoom

Now, the thing about this run is that I have no access to cheats or another gen 4 game; plus, I'm playing on a cartridge, so I'm not doing it on an emulator.

Considering none of my chosen pokemon are accessible before the first gym, BUT Buizel's accessible before the second gym, I think I'll have to beat Roark first, then get on with the challenge. I'm not sure if this would count towards Rule-Free or Single, so I'm letting you decide.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2016
Username: Limesar
Version: Platinum
Single/Ultimate/Rule-Free: Single (Rule-Free depending on how you determine my situation)
Pokemon: Buizel, Porygon, Houndour

Now, the thing about this run is that I have no access to cheats or another gen 4 game; plus, I'm playing on a cartridge, so I'm not doing it on an emulator.

Considering none of my chosen pokemon are accessible before the first gym, BUT Buizel's accessible before the second gym, I think I'll have to beat Roark first, then get on with the challenge. I'm not sure if this would count towards Rule-Free or Single, so I'm letting you decide.

Rule-Free is for people that want to play with no rules attached.
Trading/hacking in your Pokemon is optional, you're not breaking any rules, so this will count as single.

But just be sure to use only your starter until you can catch Buizel. :)

Limesar

Pronounced Lime-sahr
Years
  • Age 25
  • No
  • Seen Aug 26, 2021
Ah, thanks for the clarification! And I picked Piplup and only used it until I got Buizel.

UPDATE 1:

Had to do a BUTTLOAD of grinding because of Gardenia. Went ahead and evolved my buizel into a floatzel, and THANK THE HEAVENS I had picked up an X Attack and an X Sp. Defense, or I would've had even more trouble.

Badges: 2

Current Team:

• Floatzel (Nicknamed Autumn) [Female/Level 26]
    Modest Nature/Capable of taking hits
    Ability: Swift Swim
    Moves: Swift | Crunch | Aqua Jet | Water Gun

I actually realized my folly in my sign-up: forgot to have evolutions for my pokemon (aside from Porygon)! Changing that now...

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. Taco Eater

I like tacos
Years
Username: Mr. Taco Eater
Version: Emerald
Pokemon: Gardevoir, Aggron, Sharpedo

I think it seems fair enough to use my starter to train up ralts a bit because it doesn't get any damaging moves until level 6.

thenickel09

Lurker
Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Name: thenickel09
Versions: LeafGreen, HeartGold, Ruby, Diamond, White, Y
Pokemon: Hypno, Octillery, Cradily
Style: Ultimate

Last edited:

Limesar

Pronounced Lime-sahr
Years
  • Age 25
  • No
  • Seen Aug 26, 2021
UPDATE 2:

Spoiler:

Also, I found out that one of my friends has a gen IV game... I just need to meet up with him. If I do, then I can evolve my porygon!

Mr. Taco Eater

I like tacos
Years
Might as well do an update.
Spoiler:

My Starter was Treecko. It took about two hours to get a Ralts. The I leveled it up a bit. Progressed through the game for a while. Then I caught Aron in Granite Cave. Ralts evolved. I caught a Zigzagoon and Marill as HM slaves. Aron Evolved. Kirlia evolved. I'm in Petalburg Gym right now and have logged about ten hours of playtime. This hasn't really been too hard, although the first three gym leaders took two attemps each. You need Surf to get Carvanha so I still only have two Pokemon.

Current Team
-Gardevoir, Level: 34, Moves: Shock Wave, Psychic, Toxic, Calm Mind
-Lairon, Level: 33, Moves: Rock Tomb Iron Tail, Mud-Slap, Take Down. Item: Soft Sand

Also someone needs to update the challengers

Limesar

Pronounced Lime-sahr
Years
  • Age 25
  • No
  • Seen Aug 26, 2021
So, I managed to get ahold of one of my friends that had a gen IV game and evolved my porygon! It's not a porygon-z yet, but I'll let you know when my porygon2 evolves.

UPDATE 3:

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2016
So, I managed to get ahold of one of my friends that had a gen IV game and evolved my porygon! It's not a porygon-z yet, but I'll let you know when my porygon2 evolves.

Just so you know, you should be getting the Dubious Disc soon, it's in the Team Galactic HQ which I think is after the 6th gym. ;)
Also someone needs to update the challengers

The new owner (Volga) is planning to update the OP within the next few days, so don't worry. :)

--------------------------------------
And I will have an update myself, hopefully soon. I want to get at least 2-4 badges first.

thenickel09

Lurker
Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Just finished the Kanto leg of my challenge, onto SoulSilver!

(Unless there's no requirement that you have to go in order, in which case I'll be playing Ruby.)

Final Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Mr. Taco Eater

I like tacos
Years
I finished my run of emerald. It was actually a lot easier than I had expected because you are only training 3 pokemon instead of 6, so your team is over leveled compared to the normal trainers.
Spoiler: Final Team

Sharpedo ♀
Lv: 56
Ability: Rough Skin
Moves: Surf, Crunch, Ice Beam, Slash
Item: NeverMeltIce

Gardevoir ♀
Lv: 55
Ability: Synchronize
Moves: Thunderbolt, Psychic, Calm Mind, Shadow Ball
Item: Magnet

Aggron ♀
Lv: 54
Ability: Rock Head
Moves: Rock Tomb, Iron Tail, Earthquake, Take Down
Item: Soft Sand

Comments: So half of my team's moves were tms, mostly because Aggron and Sharpedo only get stab level up moves for 1 of their types, and Gardevoir's damaging moves are all Psychic type. The only inconvenience I had was that Aggron doesn't get Double Edge until level 63, and the moves I went with on Aggron had kinda bad accuracy.

So I had a lot of fun with this run and I would like to do an ultimate, but I have a few questions first.
1. I only have one copy of X/Y and I'm not willing to delete my save file, so how would this work out?
2. If I start an ultimate with a different team, can this run count anyways, and if I don't change my team will this run count?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Oct 9, 2016
(Unless there's no requirement that you have to go in order, in which case I'll be playing Ruby.)

You can play in any order.
So I had a lot of fun with this run and I would like to do an ultimate, but I have a few questions first.
1. I only have one copy of X/Y and I'm not willing to delete my save file, so how would this work out?
2. If I start an ultimate with a different team, can this run count anyways, and if I don't change my team will this run count?

1. If you have powersaves or homebrew, you can back-up the save file. That's really the only way with just the one game afaik.

2. An ultimate is going through all 6 regions with the same three Pokemon, so this run will only count if you use the same three Pokemon for the rest of the ultimate.

Mr. Taco Eater

I like tacos
Years
Ok, so here's my new signup.

Username: Mr. Taco Eater
Single/Ultimate//Rule-Free?: Single x5
Versions: Fire Red, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, White 2,
Pokemon: Lapras, Heracross, Magneton/Magnezone

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I can't use gen 6 games so this is basically an ultimate run without X/Y. If something does work out for me though, I'll update the post.

Limesar

Pronounced Lime-sahr
Years
  • Age 25
  • No
  • Seen Aug 26, 2021
After nearly 27.5 hours of playtime, my challenge comes to an end!

Spoiler:

And there you have it! I also managed to order all main series pokemon games from gens I-III off of eBay, and those'll come around mid- to end-October. That way, I can do all sorts of challenges!

Maybe that image is too big, but whatever...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 4, 2017
Oh heck yeah! Playing with only three Pokemon is my favourite way to play Pokemon. Sounds easy, but does require a decent strategy. I'm signing up for sure!

Username: PekoTAS
Version: Pokemon Red
Pokemon: Charizard, Raichu, Vileplume

Additional Rules: Game is played on "Set", and items are not permitted during battles. (Pokeballs are only used against wild Pokemon)

This is a run I've been wanting to try for a while, but couldn't find a copy of the game at a good price until recently. Lucky that it fits in with a challenge run. :)

Back