• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there a way to have my games on my 3ds and 2ds?

Years
Trying to see if there was a way to send my games I bought on eshop to my 2ds for when my hand cramps on the XL or when the battery runs low. Anyone know if this can be done? I bought a 2ds about a year ago and just wondering.

Also side question: Anyone know if they have Doctor Mario on the Eshop?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
If you contact Nintendo directly, you can have your account transferred to a different system, but then you can't transfer it back. There's no way to have your games on both. As for doctor mario being on the eshop, no idea.

Years
If you contact Nintendo directly, you can have your account transferred to a different system, but then you can't transfer it back. There's no way to have your games on both. As for doctor mario being on the eshop, no idea.

thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'll just keep getting items from the Eshop for the XL and put my 3ds games into the 2ds when my hands start to cramp up. Oh well...

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
thanks for clearing that up. Guess I'll just keep getting items from the Eshop for the XL and put my 3ds games into the 2ds when my hands start to cramp up. Oh well...

That's kinda lame. I don't own multiple systems at the moment, but there have been some pretty badass Special Edition 2DS models that have come out, so owning one hasn't been out of the question for me. This changes things though...now I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
That's kinda lame. I don't own multiple systems at the moment, but there have been some pretty badass Special Edition 2DS models that have come out, so owning one hasn't been out of the question for me. This changes things though...now I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. This is exactly why I prefer to buy physical copies of games.
Reading this thread reinforced me not wanting to purchase games on the Nintendo eShop, especially considering that I'm thinking about buying one of the new 2DS XL models (the age of my used first generation 3DS is really starting to show) while still wanting to hold on to my current 3DS.

Years
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. This is exactly why I prefer to buy physical copies of games.
Reading this thread reinforced me not wanting to purchase games on the Nintendo eShop, especially considering that I'm thinking about buying one of the new 2DS XL models (the age of my used first generation 3DS is really starting to show) while still wanting to hold on to my current 3DS.

I mean I kind of can't buy the physical copies of games from NES, SNES, GB, GBC and expect them to work lol. I don't buy my 3ds titles on the Eshop and never will. But for games I really loved like the DK Country Series, Megaman, Zelda, etc, etc. I don't have much choice in the matter if I want to enjoy those titles.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
I mean I kind of can't buy the physical copies of games from NES, SNES, GB, GBC and expect them to work lol. I don't buy my 3ds titles on the Eshop and never will. But for games I really loved like the DK Country Series, Megaman, Zelda, etc, etc. I don't have much choice in the matter if I want to enjoy those titles.

I do understand that the older games can't really be replayed from their physical copies on the current system. It's just hard to want to buy titles from the virtual console or eShop when you know that the money you spent to own the title doesn't actually provide the convenience of owning the title like it would if you had owned the physical copy.
I can sort of understand that it's probably a piracy prevention method (or from a more sinister point of view it might be another method to convince people who own multiple consoles to spend more money) but even so it just shows that you don't really own the title after having purchased it because you do not have the convenience of playing the game on your console of preference because your account is locked into one game system rather than shared across multiple platforms.

I know it's a personal preference because I enjoy collecting old and rare games, but I would rather try to find a physical working copy of the original title to play on my own personal old game system, just to truly compliment the nostalgia factor of playing such games. That and that owning an actual physical copy of the game means I get to enjoy playing and using the game as I please without having to worry about how many game systems I may want to play it on.

I understand there are multiple other factors that would encourage players to want to buy the redone VC games such as the compatibility of pokebank and its relevance to the current games, but it's still discouraging to me that the function of their accounts are not more flexible and user friendly to better compliment the likelihood that their consumers may want to play on multiple systems. This is enough for me to personally not be interested in purchasing their VC content especially considering that I was literally shopping online yesterday thinking about buying a new 2DS.

Years
I do understand that the older games can't really be replayed from their physical copies on the current system. It's just hard to want to buy titles from the virtual console or eShop when you know that the money you spent to own the title doesn't actually provide the convenience of owning the title like it would if you had owned the physical copy.
I can sort of understand that it's probably a piracy prevention method (or from a more sinister point of view it might be another method to convince people who own multiple consoles to spend more money) but even so it just shows that you don't really own the title after having purchased it because you do not have the convenience of playing the game on your console of preference because your account is locked into one game system rather than shared across multiple platforms.

I know it's a personal preference because I enjoy collecting old and rare games, but I would rather try to find a physical working copy of the original title to play on my own personal old game system, just to truly compliment the nostalgia factor of playing such games. That and that owning an actual physical copy of the game means I get to enjoy playing and using the game as I please without having to worry about how many game systems I may want to play it on.

I understand there are multiple other factors that would encourage players to want to buy the redone VC games such as the compatibility of pokebank and its relevance to the current games, but it's still discouraging to me that the function of their accounts are not more flexible and user friendly to better compliment the likelihood that their consumers may want to play on multiple systems. This is enough for me to personally not be interested in purchasing their VC content especially considering that I was literally shopping online yesterday thinking about buying a new 2DS.

ya but you also have to consider that in this day and age there is an over-saturation of counterfeit products as well as non-functioning ones in circulation with no guarantee or return policies. Plus with really old titles they could work today and a month down the road they don't. Also consider the hassle of games like Gold/Silver/Crystal and having to replace the battery and having all your progress wiped out.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
ya but you also have to consider that in this day and age there is an over-saturation of counterfeit products as well as non-functioning ones in circulation with no guarantee or return policies. Plus with really old titles they could work today and a month down the road they don't. Also consider the hassle of games like Gold/Silver/Crystal and having to replace the battery and having all your progress wiped out.

I actually have yet to personally have any issues with counterfeit games. I mean, I do my best to do some back ground checks (I mostly shop on amazon and a few other online shopping sites that require accounts and have return policies. I also don't shop on eBay, that place is a danger zone.) before I purchase a game. I do understand however that there are people who might not be as cautious when shopping for used games online.

I also will admit that I temporarily forgot that the old Gameboy /Advance games have internal batteries that run dry or corrupt (once again, I feel lucky knowing that my collection of game boy games including my copy of Yellow have not run into these issues), so I can definitely understand how having a safe outlet for playing older games such as the 3DS VC is definitely an attractive and sensible option.

I think it comes down to personal preferences in the end with both sides having its Pros and Cons. I might be a little more hardcore to go to the trouble to hunt down an old used copy of a game, but I personally take its pros and cons over the pros and cons of purchasing the game on the virtual console.
I enjoy physically owning games, and I enjoy collecting old games, and the VC doesn't really provide the same experience that I'm looking for when trying to acquire and replay older games.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
I actually have yet to personally have any issues with counterfeit games. I mean, I do my best to do some back ground checks (I mostly shop on amazon and a few other online shopping sites that require accounts and have return policies. I also don't shop on eBay, that place is a danger zone.) before I purchase a game. I do understand however that there are people who might not be as cautious when shopping for used games online.

I also will admit that I temporarily forgot that the old Gameboy /Advance games have internal batteries that run dry or corrupt (once again, I feel lucky knowing that my collection of game boy games including my copy of Yellow have not run into these issues), so I can definitely understand how having a safe outlet for playing older games such as the 3DS VC is definitely an attractive and sensible option.

I think it comes down to personal preferences in the end with both sides having its Pros and Cons. I might be a little more hardcore to go to the trouble to hunt down an old used copy of a game, but I personally take its pros and cons over the pros and cons of purchasing the game on the virtual console.
I enjoy physically owning games, and I enjoy collecting old games, and the VC doesn't really provide the same experience that I'm looking for when trying to acquire and replay older games.

I've never had the battery issue, but I do know a local retro game shop that sells all of their GBC titles with new batteries installed and have a return guarantee on the new battery.

Years
I didn't think old Gameboy games had the batter issue but I do know that the Gameboy Color games did due to the night and day feature with internal clock. My copies of R/B/Y are as functional as the day I got them. But my G/S/C can't hold a save file. Also my GBC has been so overused that it's got no sound anymore and the buttons sometimes don't respond. I played my GBC all the time, I mean ALL THE TIME lol. Ya I must have been ooooh in Third or Fourth grade when Pokemon Red and Blue came out so you can imagine how much I was using that thing lol. I still remember taking it with me everywhere I went. Eventually the constant carry started to show as part of my screen is scuffed and there are some dents in the side. The Pokemon Trading Card Game, Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, and the Stadium games were the majority of my childhood entertainment. Heck even my N64 has stopped working XD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2018
I didn't think old Gameboy games had the batter issue but I do know that the Gameboy Color games did due to the night and day feature with internal clock. My copies of R/B/Y are as functional as the day I got them. But my G/S/C can't hold a save file. Also my GBC has been so overused that it's got no sound anymore and the buttons sometimes don't respond. I played my GBC all the time, I mean ALL THE TIME lol. Ya I must have been ooooh in Third or Fourth grade when Pokemon Red and Blue came out so you can imagine how much I was using that thing lol. I still remember taking it with me everywhere I went. Eventually the constant carry started to show as part of my screen is scuffed and there are some dents in the side. The Pokemon Trading Card Game, Red/Blue/Yellow, Gold/Silver/Crystal, and the Stadium games were the majority of my childhood entertainment. Heck even my N64 has stopped working XD

I sure hope my GBC doesn't stop working. I still love it!

Back