• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
A nuke in the fic... that would be interesting. :s One event happened in the prologue that was similar to a nuke, thereby setting the scene for the story, but to actually set one off in the course of the story would be an interesting change of setting. :P

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
but to actually set one off in the course of the story would be an interesting change of setting. :P

Oh yes. It was, quite literally, "And then stuff blew and everyone died." It was never published to FFNet, but that, folks, is how Warp Series ended because I just didn't care anymore. I might actually post it, if only as a one-shot. Just because it's crack to the highest caliber, and for whatever reason, people actually liked that crap. Then again, it was also FFNet, so.

Uh, anyway.

Do you absolutely refuse to write about something? If so, what is it, and what about it makes you uncomfortable?

Broad topic, yes, but basically, it's a "what turns you off" kind of question. It could be anything from extreme violence to just romance in general. No details are necessary if it's of a non-PC-friendly nature.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Do you absolutely refuse to write about something? If so, what is it, and what about it makes you uncomfortable?

I absolutely refuse, and cannot write romances. To me... it is like a fallacy. Okay well any work of fiction illicit fantastical emotions (heroism, courage, sympathy etc), but I find these to be different, that they are more "innocent", while the romance is more primitive... Like honestly, if they wanted to live together, or just get right down to the point in the end, then why not do it? That's why movies/books like Twilight, displease me (beside the "vampirism" etc). Also the fact that it dehumanizes people... Saying they are an object, or that they NEED someone in their life, or they indeed are submissive...

(On a side note, that is the biggest difference with American and International humour, such as Australia's; while America might say, "So... You know... Do you want to take it up a notch." with a comical scene in following to getting to that point, the Australian comic, might have it so that the character would say "Let's have sex." With a scene of comical displeasure or other...) IE. I am merely pointing out the age of censorship.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
Like Feign, I cannot write romances. I can work in a romantic element or two, because that's quite a pervasive part of human society now, but I would struggle to write a fic dedicated to it. ^^; And the reason I can't write much about it is simply because that aspect of the world baffles me, and I can only use vague second-hand knowledge.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that; as Cit mentioned. Like Harry Potter can have elements of love, and yet, it is not focused on being a romance. That I can work with, especially since it is more of a whole-hearted love, and not a "I want to have sex with you." kind of love.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I'll write anything that the story or characters demand. I once wrote a sex-scene that was from the perspective of the male character. He was a virgin, uncircumcised, and spent the entire time nearly losing his mind over the prospect of "giving" himself to someone. The chapter ended with him wondering who he really was.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Already did that to another certain fic of mine. :D

Well then okay then. :D

For one thing, I refuse to put swearing in my fics. I find the act of swearing annoying, mentally basic, and thoroughly unnecessary. I apologize to anyone here who's fond of dropping the f-bomb, but for me it's like having boiling oil poured into my ears.

Another thing I won't write is sex. I have various reasons for this, some being literary and others personal. The literary ones include that sex is so overused and cliche these days that I'm sick of it showing up in art in general, and my personal reasons definitely aren't PC-safe.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
That I can work with, especially since it is more of a whole-hearted love, and not a "I want to have sex with you." kind of love.
You can love someone in a romantic way and not want to have sex with them, just so you know.

Also, I just woke up from an hour nap, so I'm going to hold off on saying much more until I'm actually awake. But I just wanted to point that out because it really irked me to read that.

Nada, though I do get a little uncomfortable when writing about a couple other than my OTP in that canon.

Also, folks, need I remind you that even if you don't have squicks we kind of don't need to hear about how far you will write. So can write about something that you can't post on the forum without getting banned?

DON'T DESCRIBE IT!

Because, dang it, there are rules here. And some times people can be triggered by things, so kind of keep it at the bare bare BARE minimum of description. You know.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
You can love someone in a romantic way and not want to have sex with them, just so you know.

Also, I just woke up from an hour nap, so I'm going to hold off on saying much more until I'm actually awake. But I just wanted to point that out because it really irked me to read that.

I don't think Feign was saying otherwise. But yeah, writing about platonic love is more my cup of tea as well.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I actually think she was referring to asexual love rather than platonic.

I always thought those were the same thing. So asexual means there's no sexual attraction while platonic means that there is sexual attraction but it is controlled willingly by both individuals for spiritual or otherwise moral reasons, or something of an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" scenario?

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
I always thought those were the same thing. So asexual means there's no sexual attraction while platonic means that there is sexual attraction but it is controlled willingly by both individuals for spiritual or otherwise moral reasons, or something of an "absence makes the heart grow fonder" scenario?
In a platonic relationship of friends, there can be a sexual attraction (as suggested by friends with benefits relationships), as well as romantic attraction, but in asexual relationships there can never be a sexual attraction. Whether it's a friendship or romance, asexuals are incapable of sexual attraction.

Then there's the love of warriors in ancient stories, where they loved each other "as a man loves a woman", but there was no sexual attraction. A modern example could be Aileen Wuornos, the female serial killer, and her lover Tyria Moore. They had a sexual relationship, but Aileen claimed it was due to love, rather than any homosexual inclinations in herself. Basically, humans are complex beings and relationships can have any amount or lack of love, attraction, and intimacy.

Bay

Years
platonic
–adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of Plato or his doctrines: the Platonic philosophy of ideal forms.
2. pertaining to, involving, or characterized by Platonic love as a striving toward love of spiritual or ideal beauty.
3. (usually lowercase) purely spiritual; free from sensual desire, esp. in a relationship between two persons of the opposite sex.
4. (usually lowercase) feeling or professing platonic love: He insisted that he was completely platonic in his admiration.

asexual
–adjective
1. Biology.
a. having no sex or sexual organs.
b. independent of sexual processes, esp. not involving the union of male and female germ cells.
2. free from or unaffected by sexuality: an asexual friendship.

Dictionary.com is your friend. :P I think they're the same, though asexual is kinda more of a biological term. Also, could be what txtclipse said.

EDIT: And I should be answering the topic! D:

Usually I'm uncomfortable with romance. Tried it before and failed. XD

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
Dictionary.com is your friend. :P I think they're the same, though asexual is kinda more of a biological term. Also, could be what txtclipse said.
Asexual was originally and still is a biological term, but gay also meant "happy". Terms change and the asexual community has latched onto it and applied a social and personal definition to the biological meaning. Clearly related, but not the same.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Thank you, dear fellows, for complicating my evening. XD

Science Daily says this:
Platonic Love said:
Platonic love in its modern popular sense is an affectionate relationship into which the sexual element does not enter, especially in cases where one might easily assume otherwise.

However, there is another, archaic definition, as is described in this Wikipedia article.

So (generally) platonic love is when two individuals have a romantic relationship in which sex could be involved but isn't, while asexual love would be a relationship in which two individuals are unable to have a sexual attraction.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2016
So (generally) platonic love is when two individuals have a romantic relationship in which sex could be involved but isn't, while asexual love would be a relationship in which two individuals are unable to have a sexual attraction.
That's helpful. I usually use platonic to mean "friendship" without romance or sexuality involved, but I suppose the same term can be applied if interest in either was there yet doesn't enter either by neglect or choice. Lacking sleep myself, I'm finding this more confusing than I probably should.

Caliban

Trying to change my life, brb~
Years
*head asplodes*
'scuse me...
*screws head back on*
Ah, much -
*head asplodes*

Crap.

Anyway...
Redstar said:
That's helpful. I usually use platonic to mean "friendship" without romance or sexuality involved, but I suppose the same term can be applied if interest in either was there yet doesn't enter either by neglect or choice. Lacking sleep myself, I'm finding this more confusing than I probably should.
I use the same definition for platonic as Redstar. I wonder if/how it's related to Plato...?

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
I like referring to the love of various fictional heterosexual life partners as platonic love more than an asexual relationship, mostly because I like using a term that implies the positive presence of a deep love between them, rather than just a negative sort of "they don't have sex." It seems to diminish it, at least for me, because I'm very fond of platonic love in fiction. My use of the term wouldn't really work with the could-be-sexual-attraction-but-isn't because then the point is they're generally two heterosexual guys or girls who would never have sexual interest in that gender.

I suppose I'd call an "asexual relationship" an explicitly romantic relationship where the partners nonetheless do not have sex, such as between two romantic asexuals, while "platonic love" would be a very strong variant of the friendship kind of love, with perhaps all the conversational intimacy and mutual devotion of a romantic relationship but not the actual romance part. If that makes any sense.

If I'm writing a story, I'll write whatever might be necessary for that story, even though I don't like writing for example graphic sex or excessive swearing. However, there are limitations to what kinds of stories I would write. I would not be comfortable with writing PWP, for instance, which is the main reason I doubt I'll ever actually need to write graphic sex anyway - plot-based stories are rarely improved by it.

I would also never write real-people fiction, simply because I find it kind of disturbing; this goes tenfold for anything remotely sexual between real people, as it just seems like an attempt to invade their privacy. I could also never write a shipping fic for any pairing I don't fully and actively believe in in canon. And generally, romance tends to bore me and the few times I've attempted it I've been absolutely terrible at it, so I prefer to stay away from romance, at least as a primary plot.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Romance. I do not and don't really want to understand either severity of the term, and most of the stories I've written have worked out fairly well around it. Friendship stories - sure. But not much more than that, sorry. (The only shipping I support is actually a crackship between Lance and Marge, so...) And that's about it. I don't mind swearing - I don't like to use it myself unless I'm talking to myself while playing video games (I think my brother is beginning to rub off on me)and the same rule applies for characters - this includes substituting 'Arceus' or 'Mew' for 'God' seeing as my father prevents the latter word from being used in vain and it's stuck - but if the character type calls for it I'll put in one or two instances. Not commonly, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back