• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Simple Guide to Replacing Pokemon Sprites (FR/LG/R/S)

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
yes I did open it with paint afterwards but what am I supposed to do to get a sprite looking normal?

Do all the necessary edits, then index it (without the dithering option), and it should be fairly normal. Or, use a program like GIMP to edit and index it at the same time.

psyxe

Cubone Trainer
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 2, 2017
There are guides for using IrfanView, and I linked to them in case people didn't have Photoshop. But if you're serious about pixel art and mapping you should probably have a copy anyway.

how.. exactly does pixel art = Photoshop?

Years
  • Seen Jul 1, 2014
Well, this is indeed very helpful to me, especially for indexing. But, I am experiencing some trouble, in the way that when I attempt to import I am told the sprite is unindexed.

(EDIT: Do disregard everything below, I did some reading and porkiewpyne had the exact same problem as me, but he found the solution)

I believe I have correctly followed your Irfan tutorial, and I was able to lower the pallet to 16 and then rearrange the two necessary colours, resulting in a similar and somewhat broken image. It seems that when I paste the unindexed image over the indexed one in Paint (Windows 7) it also carries over properties such as... well, not being indexed. Actually I think I can test this theory...

Okay, I tried again. I lowered to 16 and went about that colour swapping business, and then I closed and reopened in Irfan. The box for 2 (black and white) is now ticked, as apposed to what I ticked (16). I can only assume this is normal behaviour.
Then, I pasted my unindexed sprite over it (in Paint), and checked again in Irfan - now the box for 256 is ticked. This seems to be my problem.

I imagine there is some thing I am doing wrong, something easily fixable to be quite honest XD I do have a habit of buggering up the simplest of things.

Some information that may also be of relevance and use is that I am trying to replace Lickitung with a Mew sprite that has been edited intentionally badly to be wearing a top hat, amongst other accessories (The hat is drawn in a colour that is actually used by the original sprite, I am definitely under 16 colours). In Ruby version. I dislike Lickitung. Intensely. Top hats are cool and so is Mew.

I understand that is a lot to read, and that most of it is unnecessary drivel. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

jvpski3

Banned
Years
Yeah, it's pretty good. Thank you, I need ALOT of help with tile editing/graphics. Thank you. D-trough was nice ENOUGH to be dead, so no more for him :(:(:(:( I AM SO ****ING SAD!!!

Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2022
whenever i try to point my new image to a new offset if it is too big, the pallete changes but the image doesnt. what should i do? or what did i do wrong?

Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2011
Assuming you can use this method for trainers?

...I'm using firered.
I followed all methods shown...

I tried to replace Gary Oak (1607 in unlzgba for me) with a sprite of Neru Akita I made. 16 colors, everything's good.

All I see is Gary with Neru's pallette when I come back. I don't know how to fix it.

Also my version of Unlzgba is different than yours, I have the check box "auto abort if new data is bigger"
Is mine older? it came with elitemap.

Do you need images?

Years
  • Seen Jan 21, 2012
Sorry to revive\make yet ANOTHER question, but I would greatly appreciate if somebody could help me:

The tutorial helps a lot, and I managed to actually insert some sprites in my Pokemon Ruby (U) Rom, Treecko and it's evolutions to be precise. However, a weird "glitch" happens:

The "Front" sprite and the "Back" sprite seems to mess with each other!

Basically, when I go to Treecko Front Sprite and swap it (965 and palette 770), I can see the swapped front sprite (The one used in summary) in-game perfectly but the "back" sprite (The one used in battle) is completely "messed up" (Wrong colors).

And guess what? When I try to swap the "Back" sprite on unLZ in an attempt to fix the problem, the "front" sprite become "messed up".

Years
  • Seen Dec 24, 2012
Hey i know this is alot to ask for but unlz will NOT work for me. I was wondering if i could send you my hack and the pic i want in the game, and you do it for me?

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2012
Ok well im relatively new to this but when I import my sprite everything goes fine but, when It appears in a battle my emulator freezes and it has these lines on it. And I've done everything right. its 64x64 and it has enough space. I've tried many times and looked up tutorials but I still cant fix it please help.

Years
  • Seen Aug 9, 2012
Same problem here, but only with my backsprites. I know that you're supposed to use the shiny palette for the backsprite, but is there anything else you do differently?

Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2012
ive tried many times to replace a sprite and no matter what i do i cant get it to work. I always have the same random lines and dots error. and im not doing anything in the TUT wrong. please help

Same problem here, but only with my backsprites. I know that you're supposed to use the shiny palette for the backsprite, but is there anything else you do differently?
No do you have any advice for the forward sprite? I just cat get it right.

Last edited:

xXDisturbed

Medicham :3
Years
I have tried many times to ge this right but it doesnt work properly. First, the colors were off a lot when i saw them in game. Then, this happens when i started over (look at attached file)

Do you know what might have happened? or what i did wrong?

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
I'm trying to import the Blue sprite from FRLG into my Ruby Rom. It keeps saying that the image is not indexed and I DID 100% use only 16 colours! I even tried with an Emerald Rom! Same result!

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
I'm trying to import the Blue sprite from FRLG into my Ruby Rom. It keeps saying that the image is not indexed and I DID 100% use only 16 colours! I even tried with an Emerald Rom! Same result!

if you meant Blue as Gary then I think you have not indexed it properly...

Ok here's the FRLG Sprites of Gary 100% Indexed you can just insert them if you want... :)

5x8kqs.png

314c96x.png

Also you can use Wichu's Sprite Editor it auto Indexes the sprite and accepts it even it's colors are higher than 16... :)

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jun 1, 2014
I've done everything in this tutorial and others but whenever I try to replace the red sprite with the pokemaniac trainer sprite nothing works. The only thing that happens is that the red sprite palate mess up to match the pokemaniac's palate. I've tried everything but it end up with the same results. Please someone email me an answer to why this happens and how to fix it!

the pokemaniac sprite is indexed. I haven't edited it since taking it out of the rom with "save as"

btw I run on windows 7

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
Years
if you meant Blue as Gary then I think you have not indexed it properly...

Ok here's the FRLG Sprites of Gary 100% Indexed you can just insert them if you want... :)

5x8kqs.png

314c96x.png

Also you can use Wichu's Sprite Editor it auto Indexes the sprite and accepts it even it's colors are higher than 16... :)

Thanks Tajaros.
Where can I download Wichu's Sprite Editor? I've been googling for one hour and haven't found anything at all.
Thanks again. :)

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it, it atleast has 2 of the tools I was looking for in there. Too bad I can't use it for trainers though. :/
I hate unLZ-GBA. My friend heard me having a swearing fit at it. lol.

Last edited:
Back