• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Adding new types into Fire Red without replacing

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Please help, I don't know how to edit the height of the picture.

In what program?
If you're talking about NSE, the height is a dialog box where you can type in the new height.
If you're talking about Paint, Go to Image > Attributes or Ctrl+E, you can edit the image's height there.

Remember the new height should be divisible by 8! And the height divided by 8 should be put in the dialog box in NSE.

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Mar 20, 2015
In what program?
If you're talking about NSE, the height is a dialog box where you can type in the new height.
If you're talking about Paint, Go to Image > Attributes or Ctrl+E, you can edit the image's height there.

Remember the new height should be divisible by 8! And the height divided by 8 should be put in the dialog box in NSE.

Thanks, Now I can continue with my hacking program.

BCTElite

Be still, my heart 'cause it's freakin' out
Years
I was wondering if someone could help, I followed the instructions on the tutorial all the way through and decided to try them out in yape, which opened fine and allowed me to add the types to pokemon etc. However when i opened the rom im greeted with a white screen and nothing else. What have I done wrong?

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I was wondering if someone could help, I followed the instructions on the tutorial all the way through and decided to try them out in yape, which opened fine and allowed me to add the types to pokemon etc. However when i opened the rom im greeted with a white screen and nothing else. What have I done wrong?

As in you opened the rom in YAPE? If so, its because YAPE doesn't support the addition of new types, abilities and such. If you mean you opened the rom up in VBA, then I would need a bit more info about that. Remember to always back up your rom.

BCTElite

Years
As in you opened the rom in YAPE? If so, its because YAPE doesn't support the addition of new types, abilities and such. If you mean you opened the rom up in VBA, then I would need a bit more info about that. Remember to always back up your rom.

Well I did what you said and and then tried it on VBA, and it was working okay, there were no Pokemon with the types and stuff but nothing was wrong from what I could tell. So I tried to use the hex editor to change one of the Pokemon's types but when I used the offset I just found a bunch of 00's so I wasn't sure what to do so I didn't mess it up. I used YAPE and changed the inis to have the new types (0X17, 0X18, 0x19, 0x20 - which to be honest I probably did wrong as i'm rubbish at hex editing) and changed the max type to 26 like you said and made bulbasaur a fairy/Celeste type to test it and I was greeted with a white screen. Luckily all I did was change the typing which was a long process but is easily redouble with your tutorial. I was just wondering where I went wrong in the setting up process.

Knowing me I probably just put the wrong thing at the wrong offset or something.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Well I did what you said and and then tried it on VBA, and it was working okay, there were no Pokemon with the types and stuff but nothing was wrong from what I could tell. So I tried to use the hex editor to change one of the Pokemon's types but when I used the offset I just found a bunch of 00's so I wasn't sure what to do so I didn't mess it up. I used YAPE and changed the inis to have the new types (0X17, 0X18, 0x19, 0x20 - which to be honest I probably did wrong as i'm rubbish at hex editing) and changed the max type to 26 like you said and made bulbasaur a fairy/Celeste type to test it and I was greeted with a white screen. Luckily all I did was change the typing which was a long process but is easily redouble with your tutorial. I was just wondering where I went wrong in the setting up process.

Knowing me I probably just put the wrong thing at the wrong offset or something.

The bunch of 00s you got may be refering to the ??? pokemon that appears before Bulbasaur in the pokedex. So the next few bytes would be Bulbasaur. And if all you did was change a pokemon's type, then it is possible that you changed a wrong offset. IMO, don't use YAPE for expanded types. Use Karatekid's Gen 3 Hacking Suite. It is better and doesn't corrupt with expanded types. Also its cooler.

BCTElite

Years
The bunch of 00s you got may be refering to the ??? pokemon that appears before Bulbasaur in the pokedex. So the next few bytes would be Bulbasaur. And if all you did was change a pokemon's type, then it is possible that you changed a wrong offset. IMO, don't use YAPE for expanded types. Use Karatekid's Gen 3 Hacking Suite. It is better and doesn't corrupt with expanded types. Also its cooler.

Okay. Ill just redo it and try using that tool. If it doesn't work again ill come back for some more help. Thanks for the advice :)

BCTElite

Years
Hey me again. Sorry to be a pain. I've tried to do it again on a completely clean rom using the same offsets that you have and double checking them to be the same etc. but now I have a problem that when I load the game it plays the gamefreak logo and the battle at the beginning but then goes to black and thats it. Also If i try to press A to skip straight to the menu from the gamefreak logo it just plays the rest of the gamefreak jingle on top of a black screen then it goes dead. What have i done wrong now?

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Hey me again. Sorry to be a pain. I've tried to do it again on a completely clean rom using the same offsets that you have and double checking them to be the same etc. but now I have a problem that when I load the game it plays the gamefreak logo and the battle at the beginning but then goes to black and thats it. Also If i try to press A to skip straight to the menu from the gamefreak logo it just plays the rest of the gamefreak jingle on top of a black screen then it goes dead. What have i done wrong now?

Um, I'm not totally sure what the problem is. I've added new types to several different roms many times, so maybe its something from your end. Unfortunately, I can't really help you as I don't really know the problem, provided you are following the tut on the dot. Sorry.
Just remember to back up your rom.

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Oct 8, 2016
I tried to add 4 new types to my rom.(light, sound, magic, and fairy) I used only the colors that were already in the image, but when i try to insert it, it changes the palette to a bunch of dim grey colors. I have the import set to image only. What is my problem?

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I tried to add 4 new types to my rom.(light, sound, magic, and fairy) I used only the colors that were already in the image, but when i try to insert it, it changes the palette to a bunch of dim grey colors. I have the import set to image only. What is my problem?

When you opened the image in NSE again, did you include the palette offset? Or, did you use Windows 7 Paint? 7 Paint doesn't really work with this; use Paint XP instead. It works better. Search up how to get it.
If you are using Paint XP: Is it appearing dim grey in the game? Or is it just in the editor? If its in the game, maybe you accidentally changed the pointers to the pallete? If so go back and remedy that. If its just in the editor, maybe you input the wrong palette offset.

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Would it be possible to give a particular Pokémon more than two types this way?

I guess you could fake it by making a hybrid type icon. But actual more than 2 types? I think the game is hardcoded to only carry 2 types for every pokemon. Expanding it would mean severe editing of the rom, like ASMagix. So unless you want to do a crap ton of ASM, no, its not possible.

Starmytes

Fabulous Fruit
Years
Ah yes thank you for this tutorial, I think I've grasped a basic understanding of it <3
I'm sure by the time I actually start to follow the tutorial while doing this myself to add fairy typing I'll understand it way better!

I do have one question, in the first part of the tutorial you mentioned changing bulbasaur to your new typing to test it out.
Do you do that by going to the offset of bulbasaur (or any other Pokemon, find the offset in unLZ.GBA etc) and replacing on the the typings with your new typings code?
Lets say if a Pokemon is normal type "00" you would replace that with your new typing "17"?
If this is correct could you do this with move typings? Find the offset of the move you want to change and replace it's typing with the new typing?

There was some talk about YAPE to change the Pokemons type, I might have to come back and ask about how to change 17>19 and stuff.
I think the program for editing attacks is "A-Tak" would I be able to change a moves typing to Fairy with this?
Well... I guess that would only matter if I would be able to edit new attacks added in that program, I still need to learn how to do that later xD

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Ah yes thank you for this tutorial, I think I've grasped a basic understanding of it <3
I'm sure by the time I actually start to follow the tutorial while doing this myself to add fairy typing I'll understand it way better!

I do have one question, in the first part of the tutorial you mentioned changing bulbasaur to your new typing to test it out.
Do you do that by going to the offset of bulbasaur (or any other Pokemon, find the offset in unLZ.GBA etc) and replacing on the the typings with your new typings code?
Lets say if a Pokemon is normal type "00" you would replace that with your new typing "17"?
If this is correct could you do this with move typings? Find the offset of the move you want to change and replace it's typing with the new typing?

There was some talk about YAPE to change the Pokemons type, I might have to come back and ask about how to change 17>19 and stuff.
I think the program for editing attacks is "A-Tak" would I be able to change a moves typing to Fairy with this?
Well... I guess that would only matter if I would be able to edit new attacks added in that program, I still need to learn how to do that later xD

To change types, yes you go to that Pokemon's data and change the type. You can either go to that Pokemon's type in a hex editor (not UnLZ.GBA, that only edits images and palettes) or you can use the programs G3HS or G3T using the offset changes I list in the last part of the tutorial.
You do the same thing for attacks, just go to the attack's data in a hex editor instead.
YAPE is okay for basic editing, but it's a bit unstable when you change the amount of the types there are, so don't use it for that. And no, A-Tak doesn't work with expanded types, or expanded moves either. For a program, G3T is your best bet.

Starmytes

Fabulous Fruit
Years
To change types, yes you go to that Pokemon's data and change the type. You can either go to that Pokemon's type in a hex editor (not UnLZ.GBA, that only edits images and palettes) or you can use the programs G3HS or G3T using the offset changes I list in the last part of the tutorial.
You do the same thing for attacks, just go to the attack's data in a hex editor instead.
YAPE is okay for basic editing, but it's a bit unstable when you change the amount of the types there are, so don't use it for that. And no, A-Tak doesn't work with expanded types, or expanded moves either. For a program, G3T is your best bet.
Thank you for helping I appreciate it! :)
I've gone ahead and downloaded G3T, it looks like a cool program <3

I've finished all 3 steps in the tutorial but haven't tested anything yet, I gone to the offsets given to change Pokemon types and move types but both bring me to an offset that's just 00's, I'm not sure what to do with it... xD

Questions:
1. How would I go about editing the "ini" in G3T so that I could just switch moves and Pokemon types to Fairy instead of finding them in HxD? :)
The offsets given in the tutorial bring you to a string of code with a bunch of 00's in it, idk what to do with them :P
I've been trying to get G3T to work for that stuff instead:

I've gone into the ini included in the G3T folder and edited "typenames" under "[BPRE]name = Pokemon FireRed (E)" with the offset where I pasted and added fairy typing's name @"0x802610". "numberoftypes" has been changed to 24 since I've only added one new type. However when I go to the drop box after saving the ini fairy type isn't an option...
I also checked my hex editor in G3T and my edits done in HxD are there, so they aren't missing. Suggestions?

2. I'm not including a physical / special split in my game, how would I make it so the moves that belong to my new typing "Fairy" are all special?
(Is this a step in editing the moves themselves? / When you add new moves or edit moves can you switch them from physical / special / neither etc?)

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Questions:
1. How would I go about editing the "ini" in G3T so that I could just switch moves and Pokemon types to Fairy instead of finding them in HxD? :)
The offsets given in the tutorial bring you to a string of code with a bunch of 00's in it, idk what to do with them :P
I've been trying to get G3T to work for that stuff instead:

I've gone into the ini included in the G3T folder and edited "typenames" under "[BPRE]name = Pokemon FireRed (E)" with the offset where I pasted and added fairy typing's name @"0x802610". "numberoftypes" has been changed to 24 since I've only added one new type. However when I go to the drop box after saving the ini fairy type isn't an option...
I also checked my hex editor in G3T and my edits done in HxD are there, so they aren't missing. Suggestions?

2. I'm not including a physical / special split in my game, how would I make it so the moves that belong to my new typing "Fairy" are all special?
(Is this a step in editing the moves themselves? / When you add new moves or edit moves can you switch them from physical / special / neither etc?)

1. What do you mean 'a string of 00s'? If you followed the tutorial and noted down all of your offsets, then they shouldn't be filled with 00s, but with..tables or data.
About the name thing, double check your offset and the data there. Do the other type names work? If so, count how many names come between 'Dark' and 'Fairy' in your hex editor. If you accidentally went to 25, change it back to 24. If the offset is wrong, change it. Anything else and you'll have to be a bit more specific.

2. The only way to edit it to special is with the physical/special split. Without it, I don't quite know what would happen since I haven't actually tried it. I suspect it'll automatically go to physical.

Starmytes

Fabulous Fruit
Years
1. What do you mean 'a string of 00s'? If you followed the tutorial and noted down all of your offsets, then they shouldn't be filled with 00s, but with..tables or data.
About the name thing, double check your offset and the data there. Do the other type names work? If so, count how many names come between 'Dark' and 'Fairy' in your hex editor. If you accidentally went to 25, change it back to 24. If the offset is wrong, change it. Anything else and you'll have to be a bit more specific.

2. The only way to edit it to special is with the physical/special split. Without it, I don't quite know what would happen since I haven't actually tried it. I suspect it'll automatically go to physical.
Edit: So I retried on a new rom and this time G3T recognizes Fairy type!

However the rom won't play... it goes black at the title screen :(

Last edited:

ShyRayq

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Edit: So I retried on a new rom and this time G3T recognizes Fairy type!

However the rom won't play... it goes black at the title screen :(

Check the size of your rom in a hex editor. Maybe you went over 16mb. If you rom goes past 1000000+, then you most likely, when pasting tables in free space, you pasted them into spaces smaller than the data you were pasting. Check this.
If your rom doesn't go over, I suggest re-doing it and being more careful.

Starmytes

Fabulous Fruit
Years
Check the size of your rom in a hex editor. Maybe you went over 16mb. If you rom goes past 1000000+, then you most likely, when pasting tables in free space, you pasted them into spaces smaller than the data you were pasting. Check this.
If your rom doesn't go over, I suggest re-doing it and being more careful.
I retried it again (third times a charm) and made sure no data sizes were changed, it's working now!
I changed the palette slightly for fairy type and it's changed the text colour when looking at a Pokemon, so I'll have to figure out how to fix that :P

Thank you very much! :D <3

Back