• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Subbed] 20 years and we finally have an answer on what "Pokemon Master" means

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
To be fair, the one time it was hinted to be the absolute strongest trainer out there was with Movie 1 where Mewtwo, the strongest Pok?mon in the world, referred to himself (itself?) as the greatest Pok?mon Master, and more than lived up to its name by being unable to be beaten (even when fighting Mew, it only ended in a draw).

That's in the dub tho weedle... He stated no such thing in the Japanese dub. To my recollection he referred himself as the greatest Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
That's in the dub tho weedle... He stated no such thing in the Japanese dub. To my recollection he referred himself as the greatest Pokemon.

I just looked through Dogasu's comparison for the film, and nowhere did it even imply that Mewtwo referring to himself as the greatest Pok?mon Master (PRIOR to officially unveiling himself I mean) was a dub addition (and Dogasu outright hates the 4Kids dub, or heck, any official English dub of the anime for that matter, and isn't afraid to admit it. If it was a dub addition, he would have made it very apparent in his comparison). Besides, if it were a dub addition, why the heck did Ash and co., not to mention those other three trainers, even BOTHER going to New Island?

Last edited:

CidHazard

Years
I just looked through Dogasu's comparison for the film, and nowhere did it even imply that Mewtwo referring to himself as the greatest Pok?mon Master (PRIOR to officially unveiling himself I mean) was a dub addition (and Dogasu outright hates the 4Kids dub, or heck, any official English dub of the anime for that matter, and isn't afraid to admit it. If it was a dub addition, he would have made it very apparent in his comparison). Besides, if it were a dub addition, why the heck did Ash and co., not to mention those other three trainers, even BOTHER going to New Island?

Just re-watched the film weedle...

Again he did not call himself A Pokemon Master...But he did call himself the Strongest Trainer.
Even if you watch the film itself the word "Masut?" (or master) was never used. Saikyou was used instead which means The Strongest.

The line in japanese was: "Saikyou wa Pokemon turiena ga oyde-ararimasu" Translated its "The Strongest Pokemon Trainer has Arrived."

Last edited:

CidHazard

Years
Wait, so the Pokemon Master thing was a mistranslation?

Don't think so... The phrase is super simple to understand, so I doubt that it is a mistranslation.

4kids probably falsely assumed, Strongest Trainer = Pokemon Master, so they simply chose Mewtwo to introduce himself as a Pokemon Master in the Dub.

Last edited:
Back