The PokéCommunity Forums Fan Games Games Showcase
Developing Essentures - The Essence of Gameboy Era! ( New Creature: Solid Glaciurso based on a Polar Bear)

Games Showcase This forum is for non-ROM hacked games created by the community. Browse the collection or post your own!

View Poll Results: Which starters will you choose?
Fortuna Kuniklo (The Clover Rabbit) 4 26.67%
Cannis Mopso (The Calf Dog) 2 13.33%
Mist Mustelo (The White Ferret) 11 73.33%
Nimbus Katido (The Cloud-Diaper Cat) 3 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 28th, 2018 (11:10 AM). Edited June 28th, 2018 by IRON NIDOW.
I'm a talking dog

Click HERE to jump to the news

Featured Essenture:

Spoiler:

Solid Glaciurso

Str: ******
    Def: ******
    Spc: *****
    Spd: ****

Taxon: Artic Beast
    Armor piece: Solid arms
    Moves examples: Ice Power, Blizzard Rush, Ice Punch

Solid family is composed by bears with a very hard body made of solid minerals. Glaciurso is made of pure ice. Ideal for use as a tank. Glaciurso essences are WATER, WIND and EARTH

What are Essentures?

This is how things work here!

Essentures are creatures made by Essence, the constituent unit of matter in Essentures Universe. Humans believe in a kind of Creator, an entity said to had create everything, and Essentures are a kind of gift created for Humans from this legendary Creator. A millenarian culture of fighting side-by-side has been built among Humans and Essentures, enjoying together the same bliss and glory of victory or sharing the same hurts and pain of defeat. "A true warrior picks up their sword and fight alongside their fellows Essentures until the end" This is the motto of Essenture’s world.

The Plot

In-game artistic representation of Seven Wonders

You’ll play the story of a young son of farmers that has just discovered having the power to open the Emperor Celestial Door, an old tale of a warrior said to have unified all the world and reached his end by opening a door in the sky that could leads to Heaven. You will face a journey across 5 Kingdoms discovering the mysteries of the Seven Ancient Wonders, while you discover your own story and bringing back a past never knew by humanity! A journey that will lead you to face many opponents, wars and even gods! However on your way you'll find many true, loyal, and powerful allies!

The Gauntlet of Essences

Oh man… this thing can do so many things…

If you find a Wild Essenture or a Bandit while traveling, don't think they will ask you in a polite way to fight and accept nicely your refuse, in fact they won't even care in attacking you directly without say any word, and be sure they won't even mind in attacking you from behind!! This means you'll need to be prepared to fight together with your Essentures. Human Warriors must possess the Gauntlet of Essences, a powerful artifact that lets you absorb Essentures Powers to create powerful Armors and Allies; this is the only way of having a chance to not become easily Essenture food in a surprise attack!

There’s many armor pieces to collect, one for each species, you can build your own Armor by mixing different Armor Pieces, creating your own armor appearance and strategy!

Essence types

A game with its own periodic table, can you guess all the elements?

This game has its own periodic table based on the real chemistry periodic table, but simpler. There’s 8 Pure Essences: Neutral, Fire, Water, Earth, Wind, Thunder, Light and Dark. You can use points of each Essence to enchance your moves, raising its power or adding effects, you can also combine Essences to create new Essence types increasing your ranges of strategy! There are 48 Essences combinations and dozens of moves, resulting in over 4000 moves! This can be customized in your character and in your Essenture too! Each can earn a certain number of points and Essence types to distribute on their moves. And speaking about Essentures again, how about you meet the partners you’ll start in your adventure?

There are 4 starters and you can pick 2!

Battling alone is not a wise decision; Essentures are the most loyal partners you can have. At the start of your journey, you can pick 2 partners!

Fortuna Kuniklo:
    Its tail is shaped like a clover. Said to be the luckiest creature in the world. Its main fighting style is abusing its high speed in different techniques. Its element is Earth.

Cannis Mopso:
    Bearer of Physical Power, This is a loyal creature with a good attack and defense, it fights using it’s ears like horns doing a bull-like charge while raising its power temperature to burn opponents in one strike. Its element is Fire.

Mist Mustelo:
    looks like a calm creature, but it has a vicious nature, it’s a predator despite its small size. It has a wide pool of special techniques. It’s element is Water.

Nimbus Katido:
    It has a cunny nature and a vital spirit. It prefers to play instead of fight, but when fighting is the only option, it uses all power inside of its “cloud diaper”. Its element is Wind

Each Essenture represent one of 4 elements, 4 battle styles, and each has 4 Evolutions! Yeah! Let’s see bellow how evolution works in this game.

Evolution is adaptation

In Essentures world, evolution has a closer resemblance to real world biologic evolution, it depends on the Habitat creatures lives in and adapt to. Essentures like Kuniklo and other starters are considered offsprings and haven’t any specific habitat, but depending on the habitat it trains and grows, it will evolve into a specified species adapted to that kind of habitat. Look the Evolutions of Kuniklo:

... Basic lesson of sciene: Evolution is adapatation...

Evolution is completly reversible and optional, also you can keep evolving among species already evolved, this is particularly useful because each species is focused in a pool of elements(Essence types), and you can maintain their Essences after evolving, increasing even more your range of Essence types and strategies.

Prototype Images:

Overview:

these images are completly prototype and will probably change.

New tiles and movement:

Battle:

The battle screen mixes the first-person view of classic Dragon quest games and third person-view of Pokemon games.

Every Suggestion is welcome! Please leave a comment about anything, your feedback is Essential! Grammar corrections are welcome too, since I'm not a native speaker I could did some mistakes.

Project Background
    Spoiler:
    I'm a formely Rom Hacker, this project started as a rom hack, but after some good reception, I asked the opinion of my suporters to develop a completly new game with a similar concept, they answered positively and I created this idea. Moving to game development increased exponentialy the graphics usage, even still using the gameboy style, I can make full screen images, and no more worry anymore about flickering. Still Rom hacking helped me a lot in my life to become a GameDev, I will always love rom hacking, and I will always be grateful.

A game that promises bring back all GameBoy Essence!

Relevant Advertising!

Old January 29th, 2018 (11:45 AM).

Oh my, your intro text made me cry :'), I loved the idea, its pretty original! So many features! Keep doing this great work!

scream = power

favorite rom hack:
      Spoiler:

Old January 31st, 2018 (6:13 AM).

Nature: Quiet
        This is pretty interesting~ How the battle will work?
        Old January 31st, 2018 (6:23 AM).

Nature: Quiet
          Loving the screenshots already, Loving the whole concept as well. You are going so hard on this. I can't wait to see how this progresses.
          Old February 1st, 2018 (3:35 AM).
          Pokemon Fossil Creator

Nature: Docile
            You are going to change the game with this. Im interested to see how well it is received and if it flows as good as it looks

You must edit it to meet the limits set by the rules before you may remove the [sig-reason] code from your signature. Removing this tag will re-enable it.

Do not remove the tag until you fix the issues in your signature. You may be infracted for removing this tag if you do not fix the specified issues. Do not use this tag for decoration purposes.
            Old February 5th, 2018 (11:52 AM).

This is AMAZING, when will be avaliable the download?
              Old February 19th, 2018 (1:00 AM).
              I'm a talking dog

Quote:
                Originally Posted by BrendamRuby View Post
                Oh my, your intro text made me cry :'), I loved the idea, its pretty original! So many features! Keep doing this great work!
                Thankyu very much Brendam, Everything I wrote was pure and sincere, was how I felt when young, and I wanted really to recover this time, and ofc share among other people ^^

Quote:
                Originally Posted by PhantomBima View Post
                This is pretty interesting~ How the battle will work?
                I would love to give you a detailed explanation of the battle system and how I'm concepting it, but the battle system is still in-development, and maybe it will need many polishes before I can annouce it completly. Well making a perfect balanced battle system isn't an easy task, it takes many steps, I'm working hard to deliver a battle system without flaws or unbalanced design. A system where all Essentures can be used (even the young ones) for specified tasks, and that the objective isn't find the best combination, but instead where you can choice your own battle style and you create your own strategy.

But I can give you a preview of what I'm concepting:

- Each team to battle in field are made of 3 members, 1 member is a armored human and team-leader positioned in the middle, while the other two members are Essentures
                - Defeating the leader ends the battle, however it won't work so fine if you only aim the opposing leader directly, the leaders takes less damage for each active ally Essenture
                - The targets of the moves follow the visual logic of the battle, The leader can attack everyone, but the Essentures can attack only the opponent they are facing, if this oponent is defeated they can attack opposing leader
                - Humans has a wide versatility of strategies, but their are less powerful than Essentures, while Essentures are more limited in their movepool and strategies but can bea lot more effective taking and giving damage.
                - Battles have no 'common' strategy, you can focus in many different ways to defeat opponents, ranging from brute force of one member, or a coordenated strategy of all members, whats to do its only up to you!
                - And lastly, there's no luck factor! This is pretty experimental, cause I never saw any other turn-based rpg without any luck factor, but I want to try this, I want to praise players that use mind, I want they know exactly why they lose and what they need to win. Games like Checkers, Chess, Go, Othello/Reversi involve no-luck and are still enjoyable. The bad part is it won't work so easy for kids, and young audience, but my plan is create a game more focused in a more mature audience, from the story elements, visual and gameplay, still the game can be enjoyed by kids in a non competitive point.

Also about moves I can say there's no moveslot-limit like pokemon, you can distribute your Essence points to all moves your Character or Essenture can learn, however the move can grow stronger if you give more points to it, so you can choice between versatility or raw power

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Inner Rhymes View Post
                Loving the screenshots already, Loving the whole concept as well. You are going so hard on this. I can't wait to see how this progresses.
                I still apreciate your support here, Is very rewarding have people who like the project and suport it, you have my eternal thanks

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Voultronix View Post
                You are going to change the game with this. Im interested to see how well it is received and if it flows as good as it looks
                I hope match all of your expectations, any suggestions, critics are welcome don't hesite in show your opinion, I love to listen, I hope to make this game a great game for you and for everyone that are giving their support to this project, that's said, Thankyouvery much Voutronix, I hope still see you around in my topic ^^

Quote:
                Originally Posted by LyonSyonII View Post
                This is AMAZING, when will be avaliable the download?
                Thankyou very much LyonSyonll, seeing users like you, using words like 'amazing' to describe my project is what keep me moving on, this makes me really happy ^^ I have no idea how or when I'll distribute it right now, There's a problem of time and money I have to look at after, but still I hope not last so much, it'll depend on how many people support the project.

Now I want to give you some changes on the topic and some news,

First recover the sprite of one Essenture already revealed in the Facebook page:

Emperor Lupus
                - keep an eye on the family 'Emperor' they are a pretty special group

Also I want to show new tiles, and the diagonal movement like Zelda:

Also i will open two new sections in the topic, one for a featured Essenture, that will be a place to give informations of a specified Essenture, like stats, artwork and inspirations, and changing it over a time and another for the 'pokedex' of the project, liked to each post of the essenture was featured, obviosly I will open the dex section only when I have a good amount of Essentures and armors to show of

The First featured one will be The Fortuna Kuniklo

Fortuna Kuniklo
                Young Beast

Str: **
                Def: *
                Spc: **
                Agi: *****

Kuniklo and its family (Fortuna) are based in concepts of luck(here, the clover and rabbit's foot), even Essentures battle mechanics having no luck factor, speed is important for a speficic technique that let's Essentures evade moves, this is why Kuniklo is a speed professional.

Element: Earth
                Main Techniques: Punch, Dash, Energy
                Armor part: Fortuna Arms (+1 agi)

Evolution Family: Fortuna
                -> Leporo (low training in Fields)
                -> ??? (medium training in Artic)
                -> ??? (medium training in Desert)
                -> ??? (heavy training in Forest)

Old February 22nd, 2018 (10:05 AM).

I loved the nice new graphics,the artwork is fine too.
                  I have a question,does all monsters have 4 evolutions ?

scream = power

favorite rom hack:
                  Spoiler:

Old March 10th, 2018 (11:45 AM).
                  I'm a talking dog

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by BrendamRuby View Post
                    I loved the nice new graphics,the artwork is fine too.
                    I have a question,does all monsters have 4 evolutions ?
                    not all, the minum for commons Essentures is 3 stages, the maximum is 6 stages (counting the 'young' stages), some special ones have just 1.

Two new Essentures:

Day Kolibro

Str: *
                    Def: *
                    Spc: ***
                    Spd: *******

Taxon: Fields Bird
                    Armor piece: Day Arms
                    Main techniques: Beam, Wings, Drain

Day Kolibro is based in Hummingbirds and lower hierarchy angels, hummingbird are birds that simbolise grace, kindness and other good things. The Day family are all based in concepts of angel hierarchy and sacred, adorable or biblical birds. Kolibro element is WIND and LIGHT

Night Pteropo

Str: ****
                    Def: **
                    Spc: **
                    Spd: *****

Taxon: Fields Beast
                    Armor piece: Night Arms
                    Main techniques: Slash, Bite, Reaper

Night Pteropo is based in Bats of Pteropus genre, popular knowed as 'flyng-foxes' and are the biggest kind of bats. All member of Night family are based in kinds of demons and bats. Pteropo element element is DARK and WIND

Old March 13th, 2018 (9:57 AM).

Nature: Lonely
                      Nice new monsters! I'm looking foward for the Family of the demon bat

~We all have bad days...~
                      Old March 17th, 2018 (12:21 PM). Edited March 17th, 2018 by IRON NIDOW.
                      I'm a talking dog

News today:

A showcase of armor customization, as said in the post, each creature can give you an armor piece, use it to make your own armor

> Each creature becomes one armor piece
                        > Armor pieces affect your main element, weakness and stats
                        > Moves and Essences your character can learn aren't affected by the Armor pieces you equip
                        > There's no 'useless' armor piece, the armors with less stat bonus have better resitances

Old March 31st, 2018 (1:57 PM). Edited March 31st, 2018 by IRON NIDOW.
                        I'm a talking dog

New Essenture: Solid Glaciurso

Solid Glaciurso

Str: ******
                          Def: ******
                          Spc: *****
                          Spd: ****

Taxon: Artic Beast
                          Armor piece: Solid arms
                          Moves examples: Ice Power, Blizzard Rush, Ice Punch

Solid family is composed by bears with a very hard body made of solid minerals. Glaciurso is made of pure ice. Ideal for use as a tank. Glaciurso essences are WATER, WIND and EARTH

Old April 10th, 2018 (4:07 PM).

Wow. Absolutely groundbreaking.
                            Old May 16th, 2018 (7:32 PM).
                            GameDev

Nature: Bold
                              Now THIS looks sleek and creative. Love it!

(and it captures the Gameboy Classic feel so well!)
                              Available on Mobile & PC Platforms!
                              Weekly Development Updates: www.yotesgames.com
                              Download the Latest Demo: Battle Gem Ponies (Pre-Alpha Ver. 7)

Quick Reply