The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Science & Technology
The Coder's Lounge

Science & Technology From the computer lab to the chemistry lab, or even the observatory, here's where we nerd out over all things science and technology!

Old April 25th, 2018 (4:27 AM).
Lord

The way how Delphi handles interfaces has got to be the weirdest and stupidest way that I've ever seen.

Basically, when you want to implement an interface, you automatically subscribe to implement three specific methods as well, whose only purpose is to keep track of the weird reference counting those interfaces do. From what I understand that's also the reason why in Delphi you can specify multiple interfaces alongside a class the implementing class inherits from. Delphi by itself is only single-inheritance.

Looking at different tutorials, the way people get around that issue is deriving the class from a class called TInterfacedObject whose only purpose is to implement those three methods. However, if you do that, since Delphi is only single inheritance, you lose out on the ability to derive from another class. So, if you don't want that you end up copying them anyway.

Relevant Advertising!

Old April 29th, 2018 (1:24 AM).
Audino Master
  • GT
  • EO

Nature: Relaxed
Do you guys have any experience with Java Applets? I was tasked with making educational interactive materials for kids about basic data structures. And because I was working pretty much only in Java for the last year I was thinking about using it for this.

Also, I wanted to make real life example for each structure. I was thinking about comparing queue to the queue in the school cafeteria, but I don't know what I should compare to stack. Do you have any ideas?
Old April 29th, 2018 (10:09 PM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemanahrad View Post
Do you guys have any experience with Java Applets? I was tasked with making educational interactive materials for kids about basic data structures. And because I was working pretty much only in Java for the last year I was thinking about using it for this.

Also, I wanted to make real life example for each structure. I was thinking about comparing queue to the queue in the school cafeteria, but I don't know what I should compare to stack. Do you have any ideas?
I haven't tried Java applets yet, actually. I'm trying to kinda stay away from Java as it's slowly dying at least in my eyes.

As for data structures, a good reference for a queue is probably some kind of line for service, so a school cafeteria is probably a good bet. For a stack, the most common comparison is a stack of identical plates. When you want to pop/retrieve data from your stack, you're taking a single plate off the top of the stack to use it. When you're pushing/adding data to the stack, you're putting a clean plate on the stack to use later.

And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death.

But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin.

I coveted that wind, I suppose.

Moderator of Science & Technology - Signature Image
Old May 8th, 2018 (3:02 AM).
We come close to find Singularity

Nature: Adamant
I’ve been working on the build tool for our game engine, ÔÇô, writing both the tool and the engine itself in D.

It takes a stacked solution/project approach that’s similar to Visual Studio, but the solution is headed by a small INI file that contains Git URLs along with some metadata. Those repos get cloned and have their own project INIs along with their sources, which are compiled together and linked statically into a single executable.

The engine isn’t purely D, though: C and C++ source code are important to have in some cases. The build tool uses the LLVM toolchain to produce D code as well as C and C++, and with the LLD linker it can perform link-time optimisation across both file and language boundaries. Since everything’s bundled statically this should be great for optimisation. It also means building on *nix and Windows happens with the same tools.

The build tool will also (eventually) help facilitate development and release cycles, which I wrote about here. My deadline for a functioning build tool and engine stub is at the end of May, but with how much progress I’ve made so far I might be able to start working on these things afterward, too!
Old May 19th, 2018 (7:59 AM).

I managed to pull 70% on my project in my programming class and I'm pretty happy about it. I have a strange suspicion that it might also be one of, if not the, highest mark in the class. :x

And when the moon climbed into the dark of night, a frigid gale pierced our homes. No matter when it came, the wind carried the same thing... Death.

But the winds that blew across the green fields of Hyrule brought something other than suffering and ruin.

Old June 29th, 2018 (4:18 AM).
Lord

It sure is something special when you come back from school to work and get assigned to write an algorithm for water flow analysis and you realize that your math skills have degraded more than you'd like to.

Well, I know what I'll be doing the next few days, or weeks, or months or how long it may take. :laugh-squinted:
Old July 15th, 2018 (11:25 AM).

Well, decided to continue working on my blog software again. Added password hashing and avatar support, so it's a step forward.

Spoiler:

Old July 16th, 2018 (11:14 PM).
The Music Meister

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Danny0317 View Post
    Add me to the list. I'm Danny and I'm pretty good at Java and C#. FBI is top bae.
    I am interested in learning and am currently studying coding. Java and Javascript are separate things, correct?

I am also aware of Python and PHP, and the website script HTML. I hope this thread can help in furthering my education.
    Old 4 Weeks Ago (2:47 AM).
    Lord

I'm currently busy porting stuff from Delphi 7 over to Delphi 10.2. Sometimes you really have to ask yourself what they were thinking when they decided to introduce some of those "features".
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AlolanRattata View Post
    I am interested in learning and am currently studying coding. Java and Javascript are separate things, correct?
    They are completely different. JavaScript is a Scripting Language used primarily for web development whereas Java is more of a general purpose language, aimed for software projects, that claims to be crossplatform.

Quick Reply