• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
As I saw the challenges that used did not require you to restart your file, it usually meant like... People that have completed files and use them as their "main" game, so to speak. As in, that's where you're done, you beat the Champion, you trade or battle, etc. So without having to delete that, you're able to pick up a new team from scratch and do this challenge. However, if it wasn't an option before, I think those could also benefit from adding the option to use a new file. I personally enjoy a fresh playthrough with that team and getting the full experience with them rather than bum rushing to raise them all post game, however I won't say that challenges like that are a bust. Good example of that would be Stadium Arcadium a few years ago.

But anyway, having a time frame isn't bad, it's just that having it too long makes the event feel less...eventful? Aha. When it's running for two or three months, it doesn't feel like anything you have to hurry and jump on while it's still available. When it's up for a month, that's usually plenty of time to finish a Pokemon game (and people know their abilities best; if you play fast, you can join late and still finish and if you play slow, you can start at the beginning and still pace yourself for the most part). I always ran mine a month at max because I felt like that was plenty of time, but also not too long of time. Usually the challenges were more centered towards holidays as well, so obviously you don't want like...a St. Patrick's Day challenge running into May. The novelty has worn off by then.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2024
I've been away for longer than I anticipated but now I'm back and I shall properly revive the Time Warp Challenge for any people still interested in it.... on my next day off that is c.c

Years
Good to see you back. Time Warp Challenge was 1st challenge I participated and completed here, back in 2013. It was Egyptian Era in FireRed. I also remember that I started Jurassic Jam in Gold, but never completed it.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's still one I never did. I wish I had more time available to do challenges like I did back in the day lmfao. Don't adult, kids. I highly discourage it. lol

Years
That's still one I never did. I wish I had more time available to do challenges like I did back in the day lmfao. Don't adult, kids. I highly discourage it. lol

Agreed. I tried to get out of adulting by going back to university. Hasn't worked quite the way I thought. Turns out going to school as an adult requires nearly the same amount of adulting as I was doing before.

Conclusion: just don't ever start adulting, maybe then you'll be safe.

Last edited:
Years
I'm so glad that I go to uni and only have to do semi-adulting... But I already have nightmares about full-blown adulting.

Please help me!

Years
Okay, so I was thinking about new challenge that I would do myself in Challenge Logs, but it could also be made into normal challenge. And what would that be about?

Do you know about This or That game in Pokémon Trivia? In it one player gives next player choice between two Pokémon-related things. So I was wondering what if I ask other people about how to play the game by giving them this type of questions and then play the game.
For my challenge I was thinking about doing FireRed and had some of the choices ready:

Beat Brock with only my starter OR use any Pokémon except the starter?

Catch Clefairy in Mt. Moon OR buy Magikarp for 500?

Use at least 2 Water-Types during E4 OR use no Water-Type whole game?

Box 1 Pokémon that battled in the gym battle after each Gym OR catch 1 new Pokémon before each Gym and use it during that gym battle?

You probably get the idea. So, what do you think about it?

Digital Waffle

57 61 66 66 6C 65
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 18, 2018
I like the idea specially because I can be a bit ... undecisive at time but would it be a one-time stop thing like 'ask a bunch of things when getting started' or would people be expected to take regular stops (say every other badge or something like that)?

But yeah, I think it can work. I've seen "Reader add Rules" runs in other places, and it's a bit of a generalization of your idea; only instead of a binary / ternary / whatever option you only posted a few hard limits (if any) and opened people up to rules for a while in the beginning or after a significant milestone with the most popular rule(s) being chosen.

Of course since we'd be talking a main thread for everybody maybe a first-come first-serve situation would be better?

Years
I like the idea specially because I can be a bit ... undecisive at time but would it be a one-time stop thing like 'ask a bunch of things when getting started' or would people be expected to take regular stops (say every other badge or something like that)?

I was thinking about the same thing ever since I come up with this whole thing. Some people could not know what they want to do whole game, so they would prefer to ask after some progress.
And then, when asking after some progress you can modify your answers to make the challenge harder or easier.

So I would leave it to on everyone to decide for themselfs.

Of course since we'd be talking a main thread for everybody maybe a first-come first-serve situation would be better?

I would go with the classic - First user sign-up and gives a list of some "This or That" and then the next user chooses the answers.

Years
I was thinking about the same thing ever since I come up with this whole thing. Some people could not know what they want to do whole game, so they would prefer to ask after some progress.
And then, when asking after some progress you can modify your answers to make the challenge harder or easier.

So I would leave it to on everyone to decide for themselfs.

I would go with the classic - First user sign-up and gives a list of some "This or That" and then the next user chooses the answers.

I'd definitely be down for this challenge if/when it gets up and running. Would each user make atleast 6 different options after they sign up for the next person?

I have another idea which I'm sure has been done before. I'm not sure if it's enough for a challenge thread though, but I plan to do it myself. I was thinking of doing a challenge where you're not allowed to catch random encounters. For instance In GSC the starter is okay, the 2 eggs, suddowoodo, Gyarados, Eevee etc.

I believe it could be a fun challenge, Gen 2 seems like it would have the most options for a team, but that could be because it's the generation I know the best.

Years
I have another idea which I'm sure has been done before. I'm not sure if it's enough for a challenge thread though, but I plan to do it myself. I was thinking of doing a challenge where you're not allowed to catch random encounters. For instance In GSC the starter is okay, the 2 eggs, suddowoodo, Gyarados, Eevee etc.

I believe it could be a fun challenge, Gen 2 seems like it would have the most options for a team, but that could be because it's the generation I know the best.

I have something like this as part of the BINGO! Challenge, but I remember it was here as stand-alone challenge. Including static encounters wouldn't probably change much for regions other that Kanto and Johto. I think it would be about using your starter and fossil plus static Pok?mon... Small number of available Pok?mon but still nice roster.

Years
Hey, I am wondering if it would be possible to reopen the Wedlocke challenge thread as a new one? I wouldn't mind overseeing it if it is reinstated

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 8, 2024
Best Type Of Nuzlocke Challenge

I've watched loads on Youtube and my favourite are the Taglockes where they get a group of 9 poketubers play different sections of the game. I wonder if that has been tried with Gold, Silver or Crystal though. That would involve 18 different people. 16 for the gyms, one for league and another for Mount Moon and Red. Also put a poll with 10 popular nuzlockes and a other option if you like another type.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Hey, I am wondering if it would be possible to reopen the Wedlocke challenge thread as a new one? I wouldn't mind overseeing it if it is reinstated

It's something I'd approve unless there is precedent not to, and I don't see any. So, go ahead!

I've watched loads on Youtube and my favourite are the Taglockes where they get a group of 9 poketubers play different sections of the game. I wonder if that has been tried with Gold, Silver or Crystal though. That would involve 18 different people. 16 for the gyms, one for league and another for Mount Moon and Red. Also put a poll with 10 popular nuzlockes and a other option if you like another type.

(FYI Jonathan I moved your thread in here, this is where we discuss challenges and stuff)

Taglockes actually came up in a discussion within one of the other PC departments, specifically a potential collab between the Youtube (may it rest in peace) and Daily teams.

I had to get rid of the poll, but I'll answer the question anyway: I like the basic locke myself though that isn't my favorite type of challenge.

Years

Taglocke and Cagelocke are one of the challenges I wanted always try, but never found anyone to do them with. I think there was once a thread with something similar, where 3 people played the game on one save and took turns after each Gym.

Anyway, my favourite is Egglocke, because it adds new dimension to the games, where you use pretty much random Pok?mon that other people prepared for you ,which can be somewhat different that just using randomizer and playing regular Nuzlocke.

Years
I was thinking how to revive discussion here and was curious about one thing. Did any of you ever did Shinylocke or Shiny Badge Quest Challenge? I'm kinda tempted to do one when I get Ultra Moon, but I'm afraid it won't be worth it.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Dec 5, 2019
Dropping a question: can we make challenges for non-mainline Pokemon games? 'Cause, see, I'm on a PMD kick...

SyngthaSuyeon

Specialty: Rare types & UU/NU
Years
Just came up with the following challenge. Let me know what you guys think. If anyone's interested, then I'll post it.

Spoiler:

Years
Just came up with the following challenge. Let me know what you guys think. If anyone's interested, then I'll post it.

Spoiler:

This sounds great. It has been a while since we had challenge based on TV series here. There are a lot of Steven Universe's fans of the staff and I think this could make them stop here :D

I should watch Steven Universe too...

Back