• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
  • Seen Jan 25, 2023
Careful there, supposedly that makes fellers sterile:paranoid:
Just got myself a laptop a little bit ago, just use it for Firefox and IE (switch 'em up for some reason), Word, and Windows Media Player. A lappity-toppity-box makes college living a bit easier, I don't know if I could go back to a desktop

Well so do jeans and tight underwear :P

The heat transfer I think would end up on the knees anyway, assuming the laptop heat vent isn't next to one's crotch.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Some days, the FFL moves so fast it's hard for me to follow.

What is your grammatical pet peeve? (I assume everyone has one grammar mistake that they just don't like seeing).
I really shouldn't be answering this either but, I hate it when people don't capitalize when they're supposed to. I get even more annoyed seeing usernames that have no capitalization in front. Such as gary as opposed to Gary. Also, if people capitalize everything when unnecessary. Like: (Hey GARY, come here!), as opposed to (Hey Gary, come here!).

I don't really own a laptop, but I do have a Desktop PC. Sometimes, it's more convenient because it's easier to modify. Like adding RAM or something.

Feign said:
The heat transfer I think would end up on the knees anyway, assuming the laptop heat vent isn't next to one's crotch.
Actually, some pants trap heat and would just distribute the heat equally around the crotch and everywhere else. Radiation from the laptop however, that's a different story for boys.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Actually, some pants trap heat and would just distribute the heat equally around the crotch and everywhere else. Radiation from the laptop however, that's a different story for boys.

Of course, news groups have been known to put out absolute bogus somewhat misleading information all the time from time to time.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Of course, news groups have been known to put out absolute bogus somewhat misleading information all the time from time to time.
Did you hear the one about mobile phones causing cancer? I still can't fathom whether it's true or not.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 23, 2013
My laptop is the computer I use all the time. This means I use it for all computer-ing purposes: Word, iTunes, Firefox, IE on occasion, Paint for spriting...

What is your grammatical pet peeve? (I assume everyone has one grammar mistake that they just don't like seeing).

I shouldn't be answering this either, but my one grammar pet peeve is when people fail to use the S-Apostrophe Rule. You know, when nouns ending in S get an 's (example: Alexis's, Jonas's, etc.) instead of the proper method, which is S-apostrophe (Alexis', Jonas', etc.). It just drives me nuts.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Yeah, I could respond to the laptop talk, but I'm a girl who really doesn't have to worry about outside junk. *thumbs up*

I'm an all-around grammar nazi, so there's a lot of small things that make me twitch. However, in fics, the one thing I hate pointing out is anything that's a comma error because I have to do it all the flipping time. I mean, come on, guys. Didn't anyone ever teach you how to use that thing? It's not that difficult to remember.

Also, to Giratinasaur: Actually, both ways are grammatically correct. The logic behind putting an 's at the end of a word that already ends with S is that the noun is technically singular as it is. Thus, putting an apostrophe and nothing else at the end of it implies that there's more than one Alexis, which there isn't.

In fact, attaching an apostrophe and S to the end of a singular noun that already ends with the letter is preferred in American MLA format.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
I'm an all-around grammar nazi, so there's a lot of small things that make me twitch. However, in fics, the one thing I hate pointing out is anything that's a comma error because I have to do it all the flipping time. I mean, come on, guys. Didn't anyone ever teach you how to use that thing? It's not that difficult to remember.
*shivers nervously* Many mistakes in my fic? Well actually, I was never properly taught how to use a comma. So now I'm learning it. Oh yeah, I'm going to be absent two days from now so Val Sensei, should I patiently await my fic till Monday (GMT+8) or do I have a better chance posting in two weeks time? I'm not trying to be pushy but I'm getting tired checking my mailbox.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
*shivers nervously* Many mistakes in my fic? Well actually, I was never properly taught how to use a comma. So now I'm learning it. Oh yeah, I'm going to be absent two days from now so Val Sensei, should I patiently await my fic till Monday (GMT+8) or do I have a better chance posting in two weeks time? I'm not trying to be pushy but I'm getting tired checking my mailbox.

I finished it the other day, oddly enough, but real-life stuff got to me (including a temporary loss of internet). It should be in your inbox soon. I'm just going back over my notes one more time.

Also, there's going to be some notes about logic. If you'd like to discuss how to work them out, feel free to e-mail me.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
Years

Your. You're.

Your a cow. *My a cow what?*

You're coat. *I'm a what now?*

It makes my eyes, ears and throat hurt. I know in my younger days I didn't know the difference, but now that I do, it's my huge peeve.

Dagzar

The Dreamer
Years
Wow, I hardly ever have to read two whole pages to get to the current conversation. You guys were sure busy.

Substituting 'thru' for 'through'. It didn't bother me at first, but now I'm seeing it pretty much everywhere. It just makes me want to strangle something sometimes. <_<

Bay

Years
I used to have a laptop, but it got old and broken now. :( Now at the moment I'm using the family desktop and I'm cool with it. Most of the time whether I'm using my laptop or the desktop I use it for Firefox, homework, fic writing, and listening to music.

On the laptop and heat thing, I'm not sure if that's true. If so, then I'm glad I'm a girl. XD;

Last edited:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
Well, my genitalia haven't shriveled and fallen off yet, so I'll just assume that my laptop's safe.

Meneur d'enfer said:
Sadly, my computer won't come with word unless I pay an extra two hundred bucks for windows 07
In that case, you should get OpenOffice. It's like Word except it's free.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
Years
  • Seen Dec 26, 2009
icomeanon6 said:
In that case, you should get OpenOffice. It's like Word except it's free.

I was going to, but for some reason I don't like it as much as word.

Well, it never catches my grammar mistakes like fragment sentences like word does. It just bugs me.

.Ozymandias

Child of Time
Years
I was going to, but for some reason I don't like it as much as word.

Well, it never catches my grammar mistakes like fragment sentences like word does. It just bugs me.

I like it more than Word. Mainly because it spells long words for you, which is the best thing since sliced bread when you have to write words like 'microorganisms', 'centrifugation' and 'polymerase chain reaction' more than 30 times in a 10,000 word dissertation.

Me? Lazy? Never. *teehee*

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
*pant pant* Made it to the end! On the laptop heat thing, mine lives on a wooden breakfast tray. It has ever since the first afternoon I got it, when I sat it on my bed all afternoon, hammering away at it like lol. It overheated and died temporarily. So the tray helps. It often overheats if I play Age of Empires for too long, but it's mostly the keyboard that gets hot. so its hard to type my cheat codes

On another note, has anyone read Questionable Content? It's nowhere near as dodgy as the name suggests (at least up to #308, where I'm at), but it is pretty darn funny.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I had a laptop. In fact, my two previous computers were laptops, since I was in school and needed to cart around a computer with me for some unknown reason. (Seriously. I never used the things at my college unless it was in-between classes and I went online to kill time.)

Right now, though, I have a desktop. I prefer them because they're faster, have more hard drive space, are easier to upgrade, and don't overheat on your lap, setting your pants on fire.

And like .Ozymandias, I prefer OpenOffice because I'm lazy and like having big words spelled out for me as I'm typing.

Also, Sparkling Dragon, I've Questionable Content saved under my "Crap to be read" favorites folder in Firefox, so I do plan on reading it at some point.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Darn I should be here more often. I feel sometimes I leave for a while, come back, and we all have free energy and quantum teleportation technology.

Incorrect use of commas.
They're · Their · There, among others.
People who use "what" as a substitute for pretty much any wh-question (when, why, who, whom, whose, ...).
Also, although they're gramatically correct, I can do nothing but shiver upon those weird tense constructs for double "to-be"s and mixed past-future. Things like "had been being built" or "will have been eaten". Don't know why...

Now, I shall be fair and answer my own question (from soooooooooooooooo long befooooooooooooooooore...):
Does your culture's iconography (as in: set of cultural, religious, social or economical symbols) play a role in your writing? If so, what symbols and/or meanings do you explore?

I personally try not to let social and religious iconography slip into my work, but won't loose a night's sleep because of it. I still like to make use of some things that are simpler but deeper in meaning and that are more representative of the concept of a global culture. Like that currency often wears the face of a famous person or building, or the concept of hunting with the tribe as a rie of passage, for example.

The reason why I was asking this was to discern, to a point, how comfortable people felt while letting real-world history and culture slip into the Pokémon world, which if I am not mistaken several authors look at as a cultural sponge whee you can toss a boy with a Japanese name who hunts lizard in his spare time in the same three-houses town than a girl with an Ukranian name who likes to eat marshmallows.
Go figure.

What level of involvement do you have with your characters?
High enough. I feel for them sometimes. I see them in a "it would be cool if they were actually here" fashion. I kinda support icomeanon6's view:
icomeanon6 said:
From my point of view, being friends with your characters is like being friends with your right arm.

(... 3 pages later ...)

Laptops and Desktops
I have... no, rather, my family has an Olidata machine that is, by today's standard, ancient: a laptop from 2005. Despite being treated like dirt by my sister and like slave by me (who ran Debian and a network simulation and inspection system on it), it has held up until now. I prefer laptops due to the "take your job with you" approach, because with a laptop you take not only your stuff, but also your workflow and work style: how you like your placement of windows and applications, what music to listen, and so on. However, I am more comfortale with desktop because I 1) can't afford a laptop right now and 2) need a machine that I can tinker and mess up with every once in a while.

I like very very much to see people who appreciate OpenOffice. It is my personal and industry-standard office package. Now if only the Draw component was better and it had some Visio-like labeling capabilities...

*pant pant* Made it to the end! On the laptop heat thing, mine lives on a wooden breakfast tray. It has ever since the first afternoon I got it, when I sat it on my bed all afternoon, hammering away at it like lol. It overheated and died temporarily. So the tray helps. It often overheats if I play Age of Empires for too long, but it's mostly the keyboard that gets hot. so its hard to type my cheat codes

There's a "nocd" "fix" for the game, you know... ;)

And other than that, if you have enough space you're probably better off playing the game from an ISO image due to the energy consumption of the tray.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
I personally try not to let social and religious iconography slip into my work, but won't loose a night's sleep because of it.
^There's another one. Sorry, solovino, but I just had to pull you up on that one. Loose =/= lose, people.

And I prefer to play games from disc for some reason. It feels more authentic. *is goody-good that won't let friend hack an Arceus for them*

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
Lulz, I'll immediately reinstall Debian from scratch with myspell 5!

Seriously, I can't believe that one slipped by.

I would play my games from disc too, but given that I already imaged them, what's the point? I have the CD tray for holding coffee mugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back