• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Mirage Of Tales: The Ages Of Faith [ ALL PROLOGUES RELEASED ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
It's not just rom space as such, I'm talking about things such a the limitations of a certain number of maps, player backsprites, amount of songs, tilesets, palettes, amount of blocks in a tileset, OWs (I am aware that OWs can be expanded and I have tried it but although it worked it also caused more problems which I do not know how to fix, making it more trouble than it's worth). Engine limitations is more what I mean I guess haha. Also the fact that for the mechanics I wanted in this game, they are such a drag to maintain/implement/some don't even work properly (i.e, the player's OW not changing properly depending on character), but RMXP/Essentials has the capacity for them already working.

Also, if I really wanted to make my original idea into a reality, the outcome would be either 1 huge RMXP game or like 6 seperate rom hacks. The latter of which sounds the opposite of realistic lmao!
Fair enough, I was confused by your wording. Most of what you mentioned bar palettes can be expanded with some know-how, but I can understand wanting to take the easier route

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Fair enough, I was confused by your wording. Most of what you mentioned bar palettes can be expanded with some know-how, but I can understand wanting to take the easier route

Sorry, I'm just home from work and have had next to no sleep so I probably suck even more at coherent sentences now haha! I still am kind of thinking about sticking to hacking, especially for the first Mirage of Tales, but then I wouldn't want to have two games on two different engines or whatever for some reason. I don't know why it feels like such an astronomical decision lmao

Years
I'm new here, and I specifically made this account just to say this: all your work is appreciated and the game does look amazing. Personally I would prefer it to be on a ROM seeing as GBA4IOS just got released. Again. So the it would be great to be able to play the game on the go. But think about yourself as well, and the enjoyment in hacking the ROM. I have no experience whatsoever, but maybe getting together a team would help?

Good Luck!

P.S I voted Kala :p

PPSS I would love to help out ;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 26, 2020
Personally I don't mind the shift to RPGMaker since I've played many games on it and I've seen some really good stuff done with it. Just to make sure - its the same engine Zeta/Omnicron and Insurgence use, correct?

My main concern here ins't exactly the change itself but whether or not you'll be able to deliver it. An engine change usually means starting from scratch and that is something that can be a morale killer for many developers. Your project is already quite ambitious as is, not to mention its the second game you're working on at, the present time, of a similar magnitude, so I'm worried you're shooting for the stars in the hopes of making something great but then end up quitting halfway through because you're burned out, facing technical complications, can't finish it, etc... :(

But don't let my worries stop you - I sincerely hope for the best and to see both projects come to fruition! :)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Hi everyone! Sorry for the long span of inactivity on this thread.
I've been working non stop and needed to take a bit of time to think what I was actually gonna do with this haha.

I'm really just posting to say that it isn't dead! I've decided to stick with rom hacking since I already know it.
As much as RMXP seems like an amazing engine (and I wish I'd found it first) I simply don't have the time to commit to learning a whole new thing.
This will bring a lot of changes. This is a LONG post, so I've spoiler-ed it. If you don't care that much about what I'm doing, you can skip it =P

Spoiler:

TL;DR: AoF will be its own thing, it's going to be extremely story heavy, and likely won't be completed for years.

Keeping in mind that this is purely a hobby project for me, don't expect to see any betas soon, since I'm just working on it as an when I feel like it.
I understand if this causes people to lose interest, but it's something I want to make a reality for my own reasons, so it'll never be cancelled.

Thanks a lot for all the support in the past guys, it genuinely means so much, and I'm sorry if I've disappointed anyone in any way.

~ Avara

Years
Hi everyone! Sorry for the long span of inactivity on this thread.
I've been working non stop and needed to take a bit of time to think what I was actually gonna do with this haha.

I'm really just posting to say that it isn't dead! I've decided to stick with rom hacking since I already know it.
As much as RMXP seems like an amazing engine (and I wish I'd found it first) I simply don't have the time to commit to learning a whole new thing.
This will bring a lot of changes. This is a LONG post, so I've spoiler-ed it. If you don't care that much about what I'm doing, you can skip it =P

Spoiler:

TL;DR: AoF will be its own thing, it's going to be extremely story heavy, and likely won't be completed for years.

Keeping in mind that this is purely a hobby project for me, don't expect to see any betas soon, since I'm just working on it as an when I feel like it.
I understand if this causes people to lose interest, but it's something I want to make a reality for my own reasons, so it'll never be cancelled.

Thanks a lot for all the support in the past guys, it genuinely means so much, and I'm sorry if I've disappointed anyone in any way.

~ Avara

The changes sound good. I'm okay with every change that you feel will improve the story.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Wow, it just occurred to me that I haven't posted here in over a year or something haha! Obligatory post to let anyone who might have had any interest in this project know that it's still alive =)

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Nov 13, 2023
Hello Avara. Does this hack have any new mechanics such as guard/defend? or its original pokemon combat system?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Hello Avara. Does this hack have any new mechanics such as guard/defend? or its original pokemon combat system?

Hi! Sorry pal I'm not 100% sure what you mean by guard/defend, could you maybe elaborate a bit on that? It's the original Pokemon combat system in terms of battling =) re other mechanics, there are a few extra bits and pieces that I've added, such as choosing where you place sections of your "army" and decide what they'll be doing for big battles, but idk if that could really be considered a mechanic or if this is anything close to what you meant haha.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Are we traditionally gonna have 3 starters?

Sadly not I'm afraid! Seeing as there's no access to Pokeballs, you also don't catch Pokemon the traditional way. You obtain a few as you progress through the game, and some others are available through short side-quests. Not all Pokemon will be obtainable either. I can understand that this might sound unappealing to a lot of people so I'd get it if it puts you off!

I'll definitely be updating the main post to include all of this with a better explanation as soon as I can!

Years
Hi! Sorry pal I'm not 100% sure what you mean by guard/defend, could you maybe elaborate a bit on that? It's the original Pokemon combat system in terms of battling =) re other mechanics, there are a few extra bits and pieces that I've added, such as choosing where you place sections of your "army" and decide what they'll be doing for big battles, but idk if that could really be considered a mechanic or if this is anything close to what you meant haha.

Guard is a feature present in many JRPG games, it basically means defending instead of attacking in that turn, pretty much a free Protect or a way to decrease damage taken from strong enemies in some games, I don't find them very useful but might work in some cases.
However I don't see how this could be a good idea in Pokemon where every move cost PP. You could potentially use Guard and then Protect next turn until your opponent runs out of PP, which would make the whole fight pointless.
@Mercilec, if your idea was different then sorry.

Sadly not I'm afraid! Seeing as there's no access to Pokeballs, you also don't catch Pokemon the traditional way. You obtain a few as you progress through the game, and some others are available through short side-quests. Not all Pokemon will be obtainable either. I can understand that this might sound unappealing to a lot of people so I'd get it if it puts you off!

I'll definitely be updating the main post to include all of this with a better explanation as soon as I can!

Since we are talking about starters I will add my demands, could you make it so that you can choose the starters instead of making them different for each main character? For example if I choose the male character but I like the starter of the female character then I would either have to play as a different character or play with a starter I don't like.
Although if you are going to make the starters important to the story then I can see how it could be a problem, I would just have to get used to it in that case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back