• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are PETA speciesists

Mr. Showdown

Pokémon professor of the Showdin region
Years
As we all know the PETA are a bunch of people who defend animal rights and often go overboard. But, has it ever occurred to you they might be speciesists. To start this off, here something to consider:
1) they are actively saying that you are a bad person if you are not vegetarian or vegan
2) pokemon Black And blue
3) they encourage human testing
4) they attacked the mama cooking series because it has too many meat recipes

What do you think

Years
  • Age 43
  • Seen Nov 19, 2022
PETA is a horrible bunch that believe that all pet breeds should die. They steal pets and lie to people all the time.

Edit: based on the definition of speciesm, I don't think they would be. Most animal rights activists consider animals to be equal to people. Speciesm was created to be applied against those that don't agree with the ARAs.

It could definitely be argued that PETA are bigots as they believe that they are better than the people that eat animals or use animals in any manner.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
I'm not intimately familiar with PETA or their policies because the last time I looked into them, they just seemed bat-shit crazy and do disgusting things including killing the animals they vowed to protect for god knows why. I am all for animal rights, but like you said they do go overboard in a way that isn't helpful to their own cause - shock value is useful from time to time, but when you just make most people despise your organization it's hard to have a rational conversation or get people to listen to and respect your views.

That said, like LDS said, I'm not so sure about speciesism - do you mean they are speciesist against humans? Their mission statement is to basically put animals on the same level of humans, I think (again, don't know the details) so fundamentally they don't seem to be about speciesism but they do a lot of things that contradict their mission, so I don't know.

Last edited:
Years
My problem with PETA is the fanaticism and the hypocrisy (they are actually responsible for the deaths of hundreds of animals). I'm sure there was a point in which they did some good, but these days they are just an organisation based around fuelling the egos of its members. I would not call them speciest since they apparently believe in equality more than anything, but I would agree with the sentiments that they tend towards bigotry.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 21, 2018
I wouldn't call them speciesist (Although i'm fairly sure they never focus their efforts on anything that doesn't fall into the traditionally cute category? You never see them railing against people buying snakes or lizards and being neglectful) but they're a bad organisation who constantly does bad things.

Their advertisements against milk claiming it causes autism and their comparisons between farming conditions using actual pictures of the holocaust are pretty damning examples

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
Years
Ohhhh yes. PETA is very prejudice against humanity IMO. I mean, they won't stop at ANYTHING to turn ANYONE vegan. Even people who might not want to ever stop eating meat due to autistic limitations or something.

PETA doesn't like us. Period.

Sorry if this post bothered anyone but this is just how I personally see them as.

Its one thing to care about animals. But I think they take it too far a lot of the time :/

To top that off, I even wonder if they even truly care about animals too. They don't work to make farms kinder; just to stop them COMPLETELY. Maybe it's changing now, i duno, i haven't been on their site in at least 10 years (i used to even follow them, sadly....i guess when you first find that site you just don't know any better o_o;; ESPECIALLY if you're ALREADY a vegetarian....*sigh*).

I mean, killing off cats and dogs just cuz they may associate with people, too? That organization has a serious hate problem.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
I wouldn't call them speciesist (Although i'm fairly sure they never focus their efforts on anything that doesn't fall into the traditionally cute category? You never see them railing against people buying snakes or lizards and being neglectful) but they're a bad organisation who constantly does bad things.

Their advertisements against milk claiming it causes autism and their comparisons between farming conditions using actual pictures of the holocaust are pretty damning examples

They also released a bunch of saltwaterlobsters into fresh water and caused them to die

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
They also released a bunch of saltwaterlobsters into fresh water and caused them to die
y'know, how do they expect to do anything good for animals when they do this sort of stuff lol

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
PETA's nuts. I'm against animal cruelty but they're crazy idiots who probably really don't care about animals.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
Years
To me they are a Terrible organisation, they are literally bunch of stupids that pretends to care about and rehome pets, but actually end up killing most of the pets they 'rescue', i think although they all started out with good motive but soon they all lost their way & literally become a animal killing organisation in the name of freeing them away from so called "slavery"

ErM

Banned
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen May 9, 2018
Ehh I don't know. Do we really have enough information to know for sure? We need someone from PETA to ask.

Resolve

I have it
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 2, 2020
I wouldn't call them speciesists, but I also wouldn't rule them out yet. Their actions have been pretty antithetical to the motive they show, and they are apparently against speciesism.

Back