The PokéCommunity Forums Off-Topic Discussions Deep Discussion
Debate Do you support a Military Draft?

Deep Discussion Have a seat at Deep Discussion for in-depth discussions, extended or serious conversations, and current events. From world news to talks on life, growing up, relationships, and issues in society, this is the place to be. Come be a knight.

Old June 2nd, 2018 (4:09 AM).

Nature: Mild
    Asking this as someone who will be of age to sign for the selective service soon.

The military isn't something I want to do post high school, but if a conflict were to break out that caused the draft to be reactive again, I would probably just end up enlisting myself.

Relevant Advertising!

Old June 2nd, 2018 (4:51 AM).

nah

I'd rather that no one be forced to become cannon fodder for a country

I think that in the US though one doesn't have to worry too much about a draft, people remember how much backlash there was over the one during the Vietnam War, so you'd think that they wouldn't be too eager to try it again.
    Old June 2nd, 2018 (10:28 AM).

No, I wouldn't want to force young people to fight if they don't want to.
      Old June 2nd, 2018 (2:59 PM).

The entire point of the draft was during WW2 (and maybe one), which were essentially dealing with major conflicts, with even national security being a thing as well.

I don't think a draft is necessary, unless it's such a similar state of national security regarding your nation, in which case if you can't defend then there'll kinda be no nation (in like governance wise) to not join the army for (also, occupation).

Right now, I haven't seen any signs or current conflicts since WW2 that would require a draft or something akin to it, so yeah.

“I’ve been to places I wouldn’t have visited before. I get to see different things, which is important. It gives me new experiences to draw from.” ~Hidetaka Miyazaki [creator of Bloodborne]
        Old June 2nd, 2018 (6:50 PM).

Nature: Mild
        No politician has the right to send me off to die for a war I might not even agree with while they sit safe and sound in comfortable offices.
        Old June 2nd, 2018 (8:25 PM).

Nature: Adamant
        No.
        Why should someone else be able to decide for me what I do?

I am all that you see,
        I am all that you want me to be
        Old June 4th, 2018 (9:57 AM).
        Primary form of sustenance is cute images

Nature: Lax
        For any conflict where there's a significant risk to national security or a significant threat to individual liberty on the global scale, I would support a draft if it was necessary to secure either of those things.

For any other conflict, no.
        Old June 4th, 2018 (10:12 AM).
        Boo.

Nature: Sassy
        It's not something I could ever get behind. Forcing someone into a conflict seems (in my opinion) just inherently unethical. Especially if you consider that it's unlikely everyone who gets drafted will even agree that that particular fighting should be happening anyway.
        Old June 4th, 2018 (1:43 PM).
        illusion is mine

Nature: Modest
        Nope.

There's simply no way to justify sending any human being into combat that has no interest in doing so.

Old June 5th, 2018 (2:43 AM). Edited June 5th, 2018 by Kostas.

Nature: Adamant
        Well, here everyone has to go to Army for 9 months or to Navy/Airforce for 1 year but there is no war going on so I'm ok with this. However, if sometime there is a war here, every men who went to the army for 1 year must go and fight.
        Old June 7th, 2018 (9:15 PM).
        4 million years

Nature: Hasty
          Heeellllll no. I probably wouldn't need to apply for it anyways but if I had to, they would have to drag me out of my house. No way I'm fighting for a country that has policies and viewpoints that I don't support. Now if I actually liked my country a bit more, I'd go willingly, and you wouldn't even need the draft.
          Old June 9th, 2018 (9:08 AM).

The draft got removed from the U.S. last time I checked, so it's not really a concern.

In the theoretical situation that it wasn't removed, I'd oppose it or, should I be threatened with legal punishment, apply for conscientious objector status due to my pacifism. I also have a medical condition so they literally can't draft me lol.

The draft is a ridiculous concept to me considering there's so many people that willingly go into the army to participate in combat. I don't see the reason behind forcing people to do it.

Old June 9th, 2018 (9:29 AM). Edited June 9th, 2018 by MortalPhoenix.

Nature: Serious
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Trev View Post
            The draft got removed from the U.S. last time I checked, so it's not really a concern.

In the theoretical situation that it wasn't removed, I'd oppose it or, should I be threatened with legal punishment, apply for conscientious objector status due to my pacifism. I also have a medical condition so they literally can't draft me lol.

The draft is a ridiculous concept to me considering there's so many people that willingly go into the army to participate in combat. I don't see the reason behind forcing people to do it.
            We still have the Selective Service.

At the end of the day, most countries don't need the Draft. However, I can see the need for countries that have a small population that border a country or countries with larger populations. As in, Finland next to Russia or Israel and the surrounding countries in the Middle East.
            Old June 9th, 2018 (10:49 AM).

Quote:
            Originally Posted by MortalPhoenix View Post
            We still have the Selective Service.
            Really? I thought we got rid of that too. God, this country is such garbage sometimes.

Old June 9th, 2018 (12:48 PM).

Quote:
              Really? I thought we got rid of that too. God, this country is such garbage sometimes.
              I suggest signing up for Selective Service. You have to sign up before you turn 26th. If not, you will be punished. One way you are punished is being denied Financial Aid.
              Old June 9th, 2018 (8:44 PM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by MortalPhoenix View Post
              I suggest signing up for Selective Service. You have to sign up before you turn 26th. If not, you will be punished. One way you are punished is being denied Financial Aid.
              I'm 21, hon. I had to sign up for it ages ago. I thought it got removed with the draft. Clearly not lmfao

Old June 10th, 2018 (5:08 AM).

Quote:
                I'm 21, hon. I had to sign up for it ages ago. I thought it got removed with the draft. Clearly not lmfao
                My confusion us based on the fact that the draft ended in 1973.

https://www.politico.com/story/2012/01/us-military-draft-ends-jan-27-1973-072085
                Old June 10th, 2018 (8:53 AM).

Sorry, I didn't memorize the date the draft was removed to pull it off the top of my head for a random internet discussion. Never having to genuinely consider military enlistment as a legitimate concern doesn't move me to memorize things like that.

Old June 22nd, 2018 (8:14 PM).

As many here have already stated, there is no moral justification for forcing someone to fight against his or her will.
                  Old June 22nd, 2018 (8:43 PM).
                  Umbreon

I believe there are enough men in the military so that there shouldn't be a draft. So hopefully no but I'm only 13 so even if they lowered the draft age then I wouldn't be a member till I was 18...

I'm a tribe lele
                    Old June 24th, 2018 (1:32 PM).
                    Primary form of sustenance is cute images

Nature: Lax
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
                    As many here have already stated, there is no moral justification for forcing someone to fight against his or her will.
                    That's a nice sentiment but I don't think the world is so kind as to permit it as a matter of general principle.

The reality of the situation is that there are forces out there that will gladly commit any amount of evil if they believe it will benefit them. Against such forces, there are two options: resist, or fall. To resist means to summon enough force to fight back. To fall means to lose everything we stand for and become part of the very evil we oppose.

Look, nobody likes the idea of conscription. It goes against everything we believe in a free society: that people should be free to choose how they live. It's an awful practice and easily abused, but at times it's also absolutely necessary.

In the US, we can get by without conscription at the moment because we're one of the dominant forces in the world. Our military might is more than sufficient even without conscription, the other major world powers are content to get along with us or fight us indirectly, and the foes we do fight are unable to come anywhere close to matching our martial power. Our geographic location has also helped isolate us to a degree, which helps us avoid conflicts we don't want to involve ourselves in. Conscription isn't necessary given the circumstances, and so we don't (and shouldn't) make use of it.

I want to emphasize this, though: this is an abnormal situation. It only really applies to a small handful of countries, all of whom had to make heavy use of conscription in the past to get where they are today. Most other countries aren't nearly so lucky and face the threat of invasion on a much more frequent basis. And more importantly, this position we find ourselves in won't last forever. Many people seem to think that we're somehow different than every other empire that has come before us, that we'll never have to worry about losing our place as a world superpower.

These people are delusional. All of the world superpowers currently in existence are relatively recent. Britain is probably the oldest unbroken major power still in existence, but it is no longer the world superpower it once was. So setting those aside, every empire that has ever existed has fallen. This includes empires which, at their peak, were far more prosperous and vast than any of the existing world superpowers is or ever was. Some of these empires lasted for millennia, spanned most of the known world at the time, and generated cultural and technological works that survive through to this day. But in the end, they all fell.

When our daily lives are so far removed from the conflict that goes on in the rest of the world, it's natural for us to grow complacent about these kinds of things. It seems far off and unlikely to ever affect our lives, so it's easy to talk about it and think about it as though it's not our problem. And this mentality is one of the greatest dangers that can befall a major power, because when an actual threat does present itself, the people will be dismissive of it and reluctant to commit themselves to fighting it. This only serves to further empower the threat.

I believe we should always be reluctant to enact conscription. It's good that it makes us uncomfortable because it's a terrible practice that runs afoul of our most fundamental beliefs. It's also easily abused if not opposed; look at the Vietnam War, for example. But it's also something that we must be prepared to use when necessary, because there are times when we must fight if we wish to preserve our way of life for future generations.
                    Old June 24th, 2018 (3:44 PM).

Hard question on the surface - but in the end, I think the state doesn't have the right to do so. It derives that right from absolutely nowhere.

Quick Reply