• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Sequels to a series that just weren't as good as the original

Years
Gemini of the Meteor WHY?! There was too much not explained or explained poorly, too much of the original atmosphere from the first Darker than Black was trampled over and the way the new characters were handled was poor.

I guess the second season of K-On also. I've just really struggled to get into it compared to my enjoyment of the first and I couldn't even tell you why.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Oct 21, 2019
I agree with Gemini of the Meteor. I really liked it but most of my questions were just never answered.

For me, personally, I'm struggling to get through Steins;Gate 0 right now, which is sad because the original is in my top 3 of all time

Years
I legitimately cannot think of any sequel to a series that was actually worthwhile for its first season that I did not like about as much or more than the first that would lead to the second season being a relative disappointment.

I guess the second season of K-On also. I've just really struggled to get into it compared to my enjoyment of the first and I couldn't even tell you why.

I have an idea as to why that probably is, as it's a reason I actually like it more than the first season: its pacing feels *even slower* than the first season because Season 2 is 26 episodes *and* covers a single year, while Season 1 covers 2 years of school.

Years
I legitimately cannot think of any sequel to a series that was actually worthwhile for its first season that I did not like about as much or more than the first that would lead to the second season being a relative disappointment.

I have an idea as to why that probably is, as it's a reason I actually like it more than the first season: its pacing feels *even slower* than the first season because Season 2 is 26 episodes *and* covers a single year, while Season 1 covers 2 years of school.

Could be.

Years
Sword Art Online. I'm reading the books, currently on Alicization, and it's a little unrealistic considering finding people's souls, throwing thousands of them into a massive virtual world that is just as realistic as this one to grow up over three millenia in a few months real worlds' time, takes place four years after the very first full-dive VRMMO comes out... sorry if it's a little hard to comprehend my writing, Kawahara (the author) literally spent around forty pages dragging out this conversation on the soul translating. With that aside, Fairy Dance was literally the generic hero-saves-the-pricess thing all over again, even with the bonus tentacles and so-evil-its-not-realistic bad bad guy thrown in. The sister in love thing was poorly done, however Kawahara did a better job with it than others. Also how Kirito is so overpowered is beyond me, there is no character progression and he just masters everything. And I'm not even mentioning the harem that goes on.
Gungale was better than Fairy Dance albeit very drawn out. There is yet another girl for Kirito to save. I could keep going on but this is getting long...
Anyways the first arc has its flaws too but its much better than fairy dance, better than gungale and a bit more believable than alicization.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
I have a lot, honestly.

Tokyo Ghoul Re comes to mind. It really doesn't live up to the original series at all, tbh. I find myself not as immersed by the series as I was the original. It doesn't help how rushed beyond belief the anime version is, too, it's just not worth it.

Also... Black Butler, for MANY reasons. The anime only season 2 was okay, but the first season of the anime was far superior. Luckily, for the third season of Black Butler, it seems this season was erased entirely from the continuity, so... There's nothing wrong with anime original seasons or anything, I just felt this second season was never really want we needed for Black Butler.

Dog Days's second season also wasn't really something I cared for. I never really enjoyed the second season, it really just didn't grab me like season one did. :x Meh. Season three was much more fun, so I guess it's just the second season was just bad.

Aaand, the last one that comes to mind is definitely is FLCL, like the sequels are okay... but nothing beats the zany original OVAs, tbh.

Back