• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add new overworlds to fire red

Years
First of all thank you to Poliwag, Darthatron and Jpan as their information and tutorials are the basis for this one.

This tutorial will show you how to add new overworld sprites to fire red without deleting old ones. This will also allow you to edit those sprites in AMAP and OWE.

I have written this tutorial as I had tried the other tutorials on this subject but could never get it work, so after much messing about I have found this the easiest way to do it.

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
I dunno if i followed it wrong, but if I try to use the sprite in game, the game glitches up.

It doesnt crash. but it turns the rest of the sprites on the map temporarily into black and white lines.

EDIT 1: No worries, I backed up my rom, so I can always have another go!
Everything else in the tutorial worked, so I probably made a mistake. :D

EDIT 2: It works with Overworld Editor. Yay. Now to get it working with advance map so I can get it working in the rom.

Last edited:
Years
Sorry I have never had that happen so I cant be of much help there, all I can suggest is to check you have not missed anything.

Years
I have not been here for some time now, so to mark my return I finaly typed up my tutorial to the first post for easy reading.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Have you checked if the added OW show up in VBA?

Well, they won't because you need ASM to make newly add OWs display properly because every sprite between number 151 and 240 is "special". They will not display correctly, so this tutorial will add the sprites, but they won't display properly. :3

Years
Yes I have tried it and yes they do show up in game. The special sprites are still in place and the new sprites are located after these.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Yes I have tried it and yes they do show up in game. The special sprites are still in place and the new sprites are located after these.

Well, it means that only 14/15 new ones can be added, but it's great to see it's possible without ASM then.

Also added sprites will work if they're bigger than 32x32, as long as you give them the unknown pointers 1 and 2 that correspond the the size.

Years
I cant be sure of the exact amount of new ones to add, although Metallimaniac has created a patch using this method and has added 40 ows each with 9 frames of animation, so I know you can add quite a few. If anyone does reach the magic number let me know and ill add it to the first post.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
I cant be sure of the exact amount of new ones to add, although Metallimaniac has created a patch using this method and has added 40 ows each with 9 frames of animation, so I know you can add quite a few. If anyone does reach the magic number let me know and ill add it to the first post.

What he did wasn't right because HackMew told me that 0 - 151 are normal OWs, 152 - 240 and "special OWs" and 241 - 255 are normal OWs, because the byte that determines the OW amount is only 1 byte (so you can have from 0 - FF, meaning 0 - 255, which is 256 altogether). Therefore only 15 new OWs can be added.

Years
What he did wasn't right because HackMew told me that 0 - 151 are normal OWs, 152 - 240 and "special OWs" and 241 - 255 are normal OWs, because the byte that determines the OW amount is only 1 byte (so you can have from 0 - FF, meaning 0 - 255, which is 256 altogether). Therefore only 15 new OWs can be added.

Yea after looking into it a bit more I can see you are rite, of course you coluld overwrite the special OWs between 152-240, as far as i know these are only used in the union room so if you dont use that in your hack you should be fine. Of course I could be wrong.

RLT

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2017
I don't understand the step 4 "change the pointer B0233A08 to the one you are using", but what pointer I'm using, I don't know.

Back