• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Qr Codes

Years
i can.... kinda see the appeal? i feel like they're more used for marketing stuff (or for certain deals/promotions, at least from my pov), than anything i'd really care to be interested in. at first i thought they were cool, but the novelty wore out for me fairly quickly, so i don't really bother scanning QR codes, myself. :c

Years
I know way too much about QR codes etc. thanks to work lmao. I think they're brilliant because of the amount of data they can carry compared to barcodes and 3d barcodes, but can't say that I've every been tempted to scan any of the random ones that I used to see plastered around the city. God knows where it would take me.

I think the last time I scanned one was when I did my driving theory test and I had to check into the building on my covid track and trace app. Here in the UK we use them in public places such as pubs/bars/restaurants/etc. as well as bluetooth in case the latter fails, or in my case in scenarios where you aren't allowed your phone switched on.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I use them often at work for shortcuts to installing content on people's phones while working to set them up. It's much easier than having to type the same URL in over and over again when I'm trying to set up multiple devices in a single day.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I had never even tried them until Pokemon GO, and again more recently with medical papers. I remember being so shocked that all you had to do was scan them with your phones normal camera. When they first came around I thought you needed a separate app for them.

Japan even had a promo with them on boxes of pocky, where you'd scan the code and an anime guy would pop out of the AR cam, hahaha.
Too bad American won't use them like that.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Japan even had a promo with them on boxes of pocky, where you'd scan the code and an anime guy would pop out of the AR cam, hahaha.
Too bad American won't use them like that.

It's likely that way because QR Codes were invented by a Japanese company in the mid-90s, and in the early 2000s began to really explode there. They had many several more years of promoting and integrating them.

Taemin

move.
Years
  • Age 36
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
It's likely that way because QR Codes were invented by a Japanese company in the mid-90s, and in the early 2000s began to really explode there. They had many several more years of promoting and integrating them.

It's a shame, really. Here they kind of just explained nothing, and started sticking them on everything with zero context or creativity. :/

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
A lot of restaurants I go to are using QR codes for menus because paper menus are wasteful (they do have *some* menus for those who are technologically deficient). I do see them as useful, especially in the evolving tech world and with COVID, it changed how we access information. I've also seen items that requiring building (like a bookshelf) use QR codes to access the instructional video so they can cut down on the THOUSANDS of pages full of instructions.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
A lot of restaurants I go to are using QR codes for menus because paper menus are wasteful (they do have *some* menus for those who are technologically deficient). I do see them as useful, especially in the evolving tech world and with COVID, it changed how we access information. I've also seen items that requiring building (like a bookshelf) use QR codes to access the instructional video so they can cut down on the THOUSANDS of pages full of instructions.

Yeah. It's quite interesting. Yesterday I was at Wendy's and the machine they use requires you to scan a special QR code that connects to the machine and you can select and dispense your drink straight from your cellphone. I didn't think such a thing exists.

Years
E-wallets in my country have the option to pay for things using QR Codes. It's been the fastest, most hassle-free method so far.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
I use QR codes as a quick way to login to Telegram and Discord. Beats needing to verify my account via email.

discord is legit the only reason i tend to use QR codes, verifying sucks when you can just scan and click yes and instantly in. So much helpful until you need to login on a mobile device

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Malls and crowded places in my country may need QRcode in order to get inside the building, which you need to scan with special app and QRcode payment is a thing now where you just scan and pay without handing out your wallet. Another thing I use qrcode to login to discord without needing to put password also when I want to use whatsapp without going thru my phone so I can just type what I want to write without needing tapping the buttons since its more easier on pc these days.

Back