• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Find me an archive where there aren't members like that, and I'll start posting in it. XD
True, I have to say; everywhere I've been I've seen them all present. And on average I don't really think that there is one outrightly better 'ratio' of good members: not-as-good members of fanfic sections of a forum compared to others. Each also tends to have its up and downs.

The number-rating reviews do irk at me though, as well as any sort of one-liner - it's nice to know their opinion of course, but ultimately it's just not helpful.

Places I usually am do tend to have decent awesome fanfic mods though, like this one. ;)
How's that for a guilt complex? XD I'm stuck here because of you people.
Muahaha. There's no escape from us, and you know it. =P

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Oh god, this is just insane... Serebii's fanfic forum is pretty much going to hell with all these n00bs overtaking it. And this time, I am talking about n00bs and not just crap authors. Before I was hesitant to call those crap authors n00bs, but now I can see that I had no reason to hesitate at all because they are the perfect example of what had been discussed before, with n00bs being authors who absolutely refuse to take criticism. And I'm not just talking about Yami Ryu's criticism here, but even in her case she's softened up some I can tell (probably due to her hospitalization).

What's striking me as the worst, though, is the sheer amount of rule breaking going on over there yet absolutely no action taken against them. You have people giving out the one line, number rating posts I mentioned before which it turns out ARE against the rules there. You have spam in fanfics which should belong in PMs or visitor messages. You have stories that are two short, two low quality, and just plain crap. All of those stories should be locked and all those posters warned, yet not a single mod has stepped in to do anything. Hell you don't even need to be an Astinus for this! Is it too much to ask that the mods uphold their own rules? There're discussions over there for a rule overhaul, but what's the point if they're not enforced?!

I'm sorry if my recent posts have sounded a bit bitter and angry, that's because I am bitter and angry at the moment. There's been a ****load of drama going on in this chat I admin at and I just can't deal with it anymore and am on the verge of banning everyone there who so much as glances at me the wrong way. Then there's all this ridiculous drama surrounding Fallout 3, so whenever I try to find out information on people's opinions of the game from the leaked 360 version, I always end up finding drama between n00bs, pirates, old school Fallout fans, and normal people like me who just wish everyone could STFU. Now on top of this I'm seeing all this **** over at Serebii that is making me wonder if I should make this forum the only place I post my fics at.

Oh, and the school's internet ****ed up somehow and is thus insanely slow, meaning I can't even connect to Usenet to...er...download stuff. <_< Great.

...So how's everyone else's life?

P.S. Sorry about the swearing. :D It happens when I'm angry. -_-

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
I'm having a problem with the one-liner reviews here so I don't even want to know what's it like in other parts of the internet. I think people here are relatively reasonable and all, but apparently that doesn't apply to just everyone. And I don't know why I bother to complain about this in here, where the message most probably won't reach the part of population it should be reaching.

Anyway.

You know, it's nice to be praised and all that, but what can you possibly make of those 'reviews' saying something like "this is really great, I want to read more"? I don't want that! I want reasonable people telling me what's great and what isn't. I want to get praised by people I can respect better with my writing!

I want to be a writer some day, and I'm pretty damn sure real writers didn't become real writers because people told them their writing is "awesome i want to read more".

Hmm, I guess I'm just rephrasing what everyone else has said here. It's stupid though, telling you all this, when I really should be getting this message through to the vast population of ignorant fools that like to spend their time of ignoration and foolishness online.
I wonder what kind of people they are in real life?
Do they do that to be annoying or don't they have time to write anything else?
Or are they just ignorant fools?
I wonder. I've never met people like that in real life, well, at least not as frequently as you see them online. And being new in some place isn't an excuse, as it doesn't stop people from, say, reading the rules or behaving themselves. It didn't stop me! I never wrote a one-liner!

And what's with that "in real life"? Just how is this not real life? What is this, then, if I may ask? "Yeah, I just chatted with my friend in fake life." I hardly think so.

I'm really irritated because I'm having an otitis and I have to put medicine in my ear and I can't hear anything and ahhhhh this is so annoying!! Does it show in my post? :laugh:

Besides, this subject reeally seems to heat up people. Way to go! I think candidates running for some high positions in society should be talking about this sort of stuff. Screw mental care and state budget, I want to know what their policies about internet behaviour - expecially reviewing fanfiction - are! It's time for a new era, people... ;)

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
Shrike Flamestar

I don't notice any particular difference in level of 'fic quality at Serebii. It's been a very, very long time since I've seen anything worthwhile to read there that I couldn't be reading somewhere else. A couple of months, at least, and then you'll only get one or two. I wouldn't say that the n00b or rule-breaking population is particularly higher than average at the moment.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
Well, there does seem to be a sudden influx of spam reviews, more than before. :/

Which is rather annoying, because there are so damned many of them that it's impossible to get through them all while having something of a life, and last time I went on a harsh streak of infracting all the spam reviews I found in the sprite forum, I got endlessly yelled at in PMs for infracting posts that were old and not infracting post X which I'd never seen and infracting every spam review posted in my own thread but missing some posted in other threads and so on. Doesn't exactly encourage you to try to keep it up. Not that I'm not trying, but damn it, I hate people sometimes.

For the record, I don't believe in closing fics because there's spam in them. That's not the fic's fault.

(You speak of Serebii mods like there isn't one on here viewing this thread regularly. :P Really, guys.)

Last edited:

Negrek

Years
Which is rather annoying, because there are so damned many of them that it's impossible to get through them all while having something of a life, and last time I went on a harsh streak of infracting all the spam reviews I found in the sprite forum, I got endlessly yelled at in PMs for infracting posts that were old and not infracting post X which I'd never seen and infracting every spam review posted in my own thread but missing some posted in other threads and so on. Doesn't exactly encourage you to try to keep it up. Not that I'm not trying, but damn it, I hate people sometimes.
So what you're saying is "spam the mods with reports?" :D?

Dragonfree

Years
Actually, that won't help in my case, because there are reports every two minutes on Serebii and I ended up having to block them from my e-mail. :/ But PM me by all means!

Negrek

Years
Actually, that won't help in my case, because there are reports every two minutes on Serebii and I ended up having to block them from my e-mail. :/ But PM me by all means!
Hmm, you get all of them, not just the ones that apply to the boards you specifically mod? Or are there really that many coming out of fanfic (and... websites?) alone?

Shrike Flamestar

The Invisible!
Years
Sorry guys, I think I may have just let my anger at the world get the better of me. Today's been an awkward day for me so I haven't been in the best of moods, and as I said I've got other things going on in my life that are driving me up the walls. After I got back from work I saw that Zephyr Flare had taken care of the fic that broke the rules and warned the spammers, so I guess I spoke too soon. Still, not much you can do about those annoying n00b authors who refuse to listen to reason (and, in fact, I noticed one of them said he was reporting Yami's posts. Now, some of her posts may be borderline flaming, but in this case she went easy on him), oh well...

And for the record I never said that the whole fic should be closed for spam reviews; due to my anger and need to hurry since I had to go to work immediately after I posted that, I didn't really type the best. I meant that the spam reviews should be warned, yeah.

Also due to my anger and irrational thinking I forgot that Dragonfree came here, yep. <_<

So, uh, no hard feelings anyone? I get somewhat out of control and snappish when I get angry and aggravated like I was earlier, and I really need to just shut my own mouth and not post when I'm like that.

Dragonfree

Years
Fanfiction, websites and fan sprites now, although at the time I was also registered as a mod in Pokémon Battle Revolution, Fake Card Discussion and the main Fan Art forum (with all the subforums). And possibly Diamond and Pearl. I might be able to unblock them now, actually. Hmm.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
(You speak of Serebii mods like there isn't one on here viewing this thread regularly. :P Really, guys.)

You're a Serebii mod? 0.o

TOTALLY UNEXPECTED.

Okay, that pointless thing aside I've never even been to Serebii. Why? The forums hate me. Every time I've ever tried to set up an account there, I'm not allowed to even get to the verification stage. So yeah, I've given up on getting in. So when people complain about the mods there or whatever, I'm sort of like "Yup, whatever. Just smile and wave, smile and wave..."

Although if you're involved in banning Farla, you and I are officially enemies now. XD

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Pesh.
I wuz hanging around Serebii before here but two forums is too much wuk so I gut bored.
Yah, I'ma talking weird cos I wan to.
xD
Dragonfree's a Serebii mod? Why didn't I know thart?

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Besides, this subject reeally seems to heat up people. Way to go! I think candidates running for some high positions in society should be talking about this sort of stuff. Screw mental care and state budget, I want to know what their policies about internet behaviour - expecially reviewing fanfiction - are! It's time for a new era, people... ;)
[S-HIGHLIGHT]ASTINUS FOR PRESIDENT [/S-HIGHLIGHT]

(As long as she can guarantee a safe economy as well, though...)

So, uh, no hard feelings anyone? I get somewhat out of control and snappish when I get angry and aggravated like I was earlier, and I really need to just shut my own mouth and not post when I'm like that.
But reading people's angry rants are fun If you promise to vote for Astinus, we'll forgive you. ;)
Indeed. -_-

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
So does this mean that we can't complain about the state of affairs in SPPf's FR/LG, Colo/XD, and R/S/E discussion as well?

=P

So, was I one of the few that knew Dragonfree was also a mod? And that's why I said

But, honestly, I don't know for sure how things are going on SPPf, since I haven't been active over there in a long while. I do know that I highly respect two of the fanfic mods over there for doing the best that they can, and I honor them for that.

Sure, flattery will get you nowhere, but it sure keeps you out of trouble. xP

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Our FR/LG/R/S/E duscussion is filled with a fair amount of obvious questions, such as "Is a Shedinja with Endeavour, Extremespeed, Doom Desire and Conversion possible?" And ones that ask people for Pokemon. Gee, can't you pick your own for in-gaming?

Anyhows, I dunno...xD

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Aww, man... People, you killed the conversation by being all rational and sensible! :laugh:

Anyway, I had this idea the other day and I'd like to know what you people think.

I was browsing around the fanfiction section here, trying to find something decent to read. Something decent meaning well-written and not centered on canon characters, as I'm not very familiar with those. This, however, turned out to be much more of a mission than I thought. Good fics need some time in between chapters, so they get buried under the vast amount of everything else. And I thought: what if someone would make a webpage and host the best of the best fics there? You know, a place where you can't just put up your fic, it has to be accepted, proofread and completely finished first. (Well, maybe not the whole fic, but at least the chapter to be posted would be completely finished.)

You'd have some searching options there: sort by genre, sort by canon character appearances, sort by lenght... All that. And, you could even have writer's profiles there. If you liked one fic by writer X, you can easily find another one by the same author. Or you can first search an author you think would suit your tastes and try out some of his/her stories. All the fics would be top quality, because they had been proofread and checked and written by decent authors. Feedback would be sent by e-mail. You could even have some illustrations in some fics! Yay! :laugh:

Now, if there is a page like that, please tell me. I want to get there, now.

If there isn't, who thinks we should make one?

I could host the page, but I'm not really good at making webpages, so I'd need help with that. Also I'd need help with the proofreading and accepting, and of course writing. So, all in all, I can never make this picture come true by myself, and I want your opinions about if this is a complete waste of time, thought and effort or if this idea has some potential.

And really, if there actually is a page like that but I just didn't manage to find it, please inform me... Thanks.

Oh, and I'd vote for Astinus. I just doubt she'd run for the position of the president of Finland... :laugh:

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
I know of only one site specifically made for displaying Pokémon Fan Fiction and that's The Pokémon Tower. I don't think it has the same criteria you said you would like to be met though. So long as the piece of writing is readable, it's posted on the site.

I'm sure regulars of this thread would love to help out with your proposed idea but I have the feeling it'd die fast. Practically everyone here are first-rate procrastinators which would not help the site grow and end up widely recognised.

That said, would it not be easier to make a thread here and (in the first post, of course) create an index (with links included) for all of the best pieces of writing you found in this board? That way, people wouldn't have to carry out the tedious task of writing an email, sending it to so-and-so and waiting for it to appear on the site because instead, they could review whatever piece of writing in the thread.

Meh, I don't know. A site would be pretty cool as well.

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Hmm. A thread linking to fics that have the "original PC seal of quality".
Maybe even a sticky thread for that matter...

It wouldn't be as easy to use, but it's a great idea nevertheless. It strongly resembles that "Fanfic of the month" this place used to have, but maybe a sticky thread wouldn't get "dead" like the FFotM-system seemed to do. That might really be a useful idea. You know, "the editor's picks" or something. *pokes Astinus* Would this be possible?

But the page would be cooler ;_; We could, like, advertise it everywhere, so it wouldn't die out too soon. Eventually it propably will die out, meaning new fics cease to appear, but it could still be a fun site to find when browsing through internet.

Heh, and I can see what could happen if it were to become popular... Suddently the forums would have at least one fic per month that was copied from the page. Well, I don't know would people really be that ignorant and mean, but experience has taught me that people most probably do the stupidest things you can imagine them doing. Like, say, putting other people's sprites on some competition or selling T-shirts with a drawing stolen from someone. Then again, if the page was popular, everyone would have read those fics and thus know that those impostors just copy someone else's work. Wouldn't that be a reason enough to ban people from places?

Ooookay, I'm slipping to nonsense. Has anyone eything to say to this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back