• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: JohtoMap - A Pokemon G/S Level Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
JohtoMap - A Pokemon G/S Level Editor [Update 6/28/11]

Note: I no longer work on this project. You can get the source code here: http://www.mediafire.com/?ax231k5r84uaos9 It was not optimized or as efficient as it could've been. Do not learn from it.

Welcome to the thread that has long since passed its expected posting. However, I decided I don't want to work on the editor much anymore, so rather than hold it off, I'll post it. It has been tested thoroughly and should be bug-free. If not, the credits lists my MSN (Or you can always post bugs here).

So what is JohtoMap? It is, in my opinion, the best level editor built for the Gold and Silver games to-date. It was developed in C# and uses the .NET Framework 2.0. Here are some of the main features:
  • Loads everything from the ROM
  • Displays sprites for people events, including applying palettes
  • Full tileset editor, which includes collision value, palette, and formation
  • Uses and allows editing of the proper roof and roof palette of a bank
  • Edits bank spritesets
  • Adding/Removal of any event at any time, without the need of a full rebuild like in Gold Map
  • Allows FULL editing of every type of event, including triggers
  • Incorporates the script editor idea like in AM
  • Edits map connections
  • Edits the display data for the world maps
  • Sorts maps by bank or by map name

Screenshots: All of them are old, but oh well.
http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9210/johto14.png
http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/8355/johto17.png
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/8192/johto15.png
Outdated:
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/5666/johto20.png
FAR outdated, especially the map connection editor:
http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/8797/johto12.png

Doesn't look too shabby. Note that some of them are out of date, as you can read in bold. Anyway, here's some things I wanted to add but never got around to:
  • Editing of flight/map positions on the world map. I couldn't find the data for it
  • Map name editing. There's bound to be a text editor out there
  • Full wild Pokemon editing. I had originally had loading for grass and water Pokemon, but after seeing I missed stuff and had to redo it, I gave up, especially after seeing a wild Pokemon editor someone released recently somewhere, so... yeah.
  • Map bank swapping... Uuuh... >.>

So yeah, there's my bribe to get you to download it, which you can do here (Version 1.02): http://www.mediafire.com/?yu0qmo8zehh0ad1

Questions and Answers
Q: What is GBHL.DLL?
A: A DLL I made to make my ROM hacking life a lot easier. You need it to run JohtoMap.

Q: Why is the program so small?
A: Cause it's just code with a few images.

Q: How do I make my ROM not read-only?
A: (Windows) Right click on the file, click on Properties, and uncheck "Read-only".

Q: Why are map connections so confusing?
A: Because Game Freak hates us. I know the editor isn't the best, but it's better than doing them with a hex editor.

Q: What kind of ROM do I need?
A: A Pokemon Gold/Silver (U) or (E).

Q: After editing a map, my character disappears after stepping into it
A: Sometimes, such as in Route 29, if you delete atleast 2 people events, the asked will happen. This is due to the map's script depending on the people and since you deleted those people, well, it breaks. This can be fixed by normally just setting the Script Location in the Map Header to 0 (and having it formatted).

That's all. Hopefully this brings a new era to hacking these games. If not, well, it was the first level editor I made that didn't suck so it was fun in the process.

Updates
9/27/10
The ability to actually change the map's script location had been added. Before it wouldn't actually save.

6/28/11
Fixed a Map Header Cancel/OK bug. Added the option to edit something else in the connection editor, and added editing of the type of a person event. Also released the source code.

~Lin

Last edited:

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2015
I love you.

Err... I mean, this is a great tool. The only downside is that noobs like me will be able to make Gen II hacks making the people who Hex Edit feel less special.

rosebunny

Beta/Grammar Tester - Dr.Rose
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 14, 2013
I remember seeing this on Romhacking.net and wished it would be released it seems my wish came true
I really like the interface of this program by the way (simple and had a modern feeling)

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
i never hacked Gen II games before, but looks awesome
is this better then goldmap? [i was wondering what it was called]
anyways ill give this a whirl

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
Superb !!!

Especially editing map connections will sure come in handy ;)
I tried it once (not like I was just going to stop there) but didn't make it.

Err... I mean, this is a great tool. The only downside is that noobs like me will be able to make Gen II hacks making the people who Hex Edit feel less special.
Well, it simplifies doing stuff but you still have to know how to use a hex editor, this is probably a good tool for editing events & scripts but there is more that you've to do to make a hack.

Last edited:

Kininja

Where is Wally?
Years
  • Seen Jul 13, 2011
How do you or Can you edit the amount of events like warps and people and triggers?

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2022
It doesn't seem like you can... yet. You can not edit Wild Pokemon data yet either.

Years
  • Seen Feb 12, 2022
You can change map size. It's in Tools>Map Properties, it's under "Secondary" in the popup box.

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. I know about the wild Pokemon not being there, and don't count on them for a long time. As for the map size and event count, you can change both of those with extreme simplicity by going to Tools > Map Properties and change the map size by USING THE UP/DOWN BUTTONS on the width and height, and for reconstructing the events, click on the Edit button next to the Event Data. Also be sure to use the up/down boxes there.

miksy91

Dark Energy is back in action! ;)
Years
"Editing of flight/map positions on the world map. I couldn't find the data for it"

0x15319 - Start of Flight Data (Hiro's Room)
[Map Bank][MapNo][X][Y]

I happened to found out this (and several other offsets) documented in GoldTweak.
I haven't checked how it continues from here, it might even be organized, or not :D

Spoiler:

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
OMG this is so cool
I feel like making a Crystal Silver hack now :A

FOund out it doesnt do crystal
Im such a wetard

Last edited:

Melash

Back for now.
Years
After taking a long break, I see this when I come back. It seems very innovative, especially when older generation hacks are becoming more unheard of. This will definitely help newbies out, but the only problem I foresee is the lack of hex editing they will use. Nonetheless, great program, thank you for releasing it.

Lin

JohtoMap/ZOLE Creator
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 26, 2014
Well, after reading feedback from more place than one, it looks like a lot of people who knew what they were doing were a little disappointed. I created this editor for two reasons:
1. I needed a project at the time, plus this was a big learning experience for me.
2. People, including myself, were stuck with Gold Map. It couldn't get the job done at all, and I'm no fan of doing things at a low level. I feel tools are supposed to be made so others don't have to go through your frustration. Even if this does mean there will be little/bad hacks being made because of this, it isn't something to get worked up about. It seemed Gameboy/Color hacking was dieing, and atleast this way some of the real games will get attention. So what if someone makes a low-effort hack with this? That just means don't play it. Those who actually know what they're doing will be the ones who make a new title worth looking at.

It also came to my attention that people think that those who have made good hacks worth looking at will feel less appreciated. Keep note that JohtoMap can only edit uncompressed things, and some not even very well (Like connections. The only way you can get proper values is by having experience with an emulator and memory viewing). It can't edit assembly, or compress and insert new graphics, and even if it could, so what? That just means more time can be spent actually creating new content, which is a win for everybody.

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
Finally! This looks WAY better than goldmap! I mean, I couldn't even figure most of it out, especially the block editor. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back