• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Trading Between ROM Hacks

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Never tried it. Also, the large majority of hacks don't have trading available.

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
Years
In theory it's possible if you keep in all the original scripts. I was able to successfully have a multiplayer mode, but it was Battles Only.

You might have problems if you try to trade between two different games because if you changed certain things too much, you might get glitchy results on one or both ends. Which could potentially be interesting, but that prospect probably keeps people from bothering to keep the trading feature in a lot of the time.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Sep 24, 2023
You could probably trade between two of the same version of a hack assuming the scripts weren't overwritten or bugged. If you mean transferring to an actual Pokemon game, it may be possible if there aren't expanded Pokemon but again it depends on factors including the ones I previously mentioned.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jul 8, 2019
I would love to trade with some people on here in Pokemon Unbound Battle Tower Demo

Years
For trading from an emulator you need to set up a network.. But that's out of my knowledge. But if you have a console with you then you might wanna try a R4 Card. They are cheap and you can easily play any rom hacks on them. As long as it is without any major bugs of course.
There you are also able to trade, battle and connect between different rom hacks and also even the original games. The thing is like AkameTheBulbasaur and amitydev already stated correctly, if you wanna trade Fakemon or Pokémon that are not in the game you want to connect with (also with battle) than the games will crash and there can be heavy damage to the console or the cartridge. Fixable but not quite fun xD

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 119
  • Seen Jan 19, 2021
Being able to trade or link-battle across the web would be amazing. Hopefully that'll become a reality at some point. My only concern would be how you control trades/battles against hacked Pokemon if you want that vanilla experience.

Years
I think it would be possible, although I doubt it'll be in my finished game as I have a million other things to learn and do.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Should be fine as long as the trading code hasn't been messed with or the data structs for pokemon haven't been changed.

Back