• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

THE OPENING POST

bobandbill

one more time
Years
SEE IDEAS THREAD FOR DISCUSSION, see second post for the draft!

I propose that the first article for the PC Daily should be about, well, PC Daily. It will basically introduce what the PC Daily is, explain what sort of articles people can expect, and link to this section and explain how one can contribute.

It shouldn't be too in-depth, as that's what the thread sticky I made in the main section is for.

What sort of things should be said in it?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
A draft! Please share feedback. Even formatting wise, although things will look a bit different on the wordpress side (headings will be larger as it has a formatting option with heading 1, 2, etc). Considering formatting the list different with say bullet points.

(title: Welcome to PokéCommunity Daily)
------------------

Welcome to the newest addition to PokéCommunity: PokéCommunity Daily! This is a Pokémon blog written by the PokéCommunity Forum members, and YOU can join in too!

What's going to be posted?

You can expect a range of articles on PokéCommunity Daily, from news items, opinions, guides, creative works and features on cool fan works.

News – We will post any significant Pokémon news, such as new game releases or updates.
Opinions and Discussions – What good is news without being able to discuss new trailers or the anime or new features within the games? Members are free to offer up their two cents for PokéCommunity Daily!
Strategy – Advice on battling! We have a dedicated group on PokéCommunity's Battle Server and Battling section.
Analysis – A step further than a discussion - here we'll go into depth about a game feature, music or a Pokémon species!
Guides – You can expect tutorials on a range of things, from Pokémon game challenges to ROM hacks to fanfics to drawing to Let's Plays to team building to...
Fan Work Showcases – We will feature Pokémon fan works we feel deserve extra attention, both those within PokéCommunity and outside of it!
Interviews – There will be interviews with members across the forums! You can also expect mock interviews with fictional characters for the fun of it.
Forum Features – Every so often we'll highlight a section on the forum and why it is awesome.
Creative Works – Entire creative pieces such as drawings and stories will also be made and posted straight to PokéCommunity Daily!
And more!

How can I contribute?

You can contribute to PokéCommunity Daily in numerous ways. You can write the articles, come up with article ideas, create art for them, or even just proofread or give suggestions. We welcome any sort of assistance! You do need to be a member of the PokéCommunity Forums however, as that's where the writing and editing of articles occurs.

To find out more, check out our How to Contribute thread within the PokéCommunity Daily Workshop section!

We're excited to launch this new platform, and we hope that you will enjoy it!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Should probably capitalize "advice" after "Strategy" in your list to make it more uniform. All the others start with capital letters, except for that one.

Also, is it necessary to say "for the articles" that many times toward the end? Maybe better as: "You can write or come up with ideas for articles, create art for them, or even just proofread or give suggestions." Something like that.

Also, your lack of respect for the Oxford comma threw me off. :P

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Belatedly made those changes. Agreed that I said 'for the articles' too often there. Thanks for the feedback!

(Australia doesn't endorse the Oxford comma, iirc. :V)

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
The thing that makes me say "Hmm" isn't the content or anything, it's more the idea behind it and how this post doesn't really fit, from the way I'm looking at it. The saying "start how you mean to go on" comes to mind, and makes me want to suggest making this less of a short descriptive post about PC Daily, but rather making it somewhat similar to a news article, like you'd read in a paper. Since I presume that is what this whole project is being modelled upon, perhaps you could pad it out a little.

With a header like:

PC Daily Is Here: Your Source For Everything PC!

by bobandbill
And then you have something like a story introducing the whole system, rather than a simple description of function. Normally you would have writers submitting stories, and editors making them sound more articulate - which you already plan to do I think, if I read it correctly. The first post should also be a story, in my opinion, but you probably don't need an editor for it (unless you want one).

I hope that made sense, and came across okay. I just wanted to share a different angle on it that's all :)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
The thing that makes me say "Hmm" isn't the content or anything, it's more the idea behind it and how this post doesn't really fit, from the way I'm looking at it. The saying "start how you mean to go on" comes to mind, and makes me want to suggest making this less of a short descriptive post about PC Daily, but rather making it somewhat similar to a news article, like you'd read in a paper. Since I presume that is what this whole project is being modelled upon, perhaps you could pad it out a little.

With a header like:

PC Daily Is Here: Your Source For Everything PC!

by bobandbill
And then you have something like a story introducing the whole system, rather than a simple description of function. Normally you would have writers submitting stories, and editors making them sound more articulate - which you already plan to do I think, if I read it correctly. The first post should also be a story, in my opinion, but you probably don't need an editor for it (unless you want one).

I hope that made sense, and came across okay. I just wanted to share a different angle on it that's all :)
Going to side with Ben that I feel as an introductory article, short is sweet(er). We want to quickly sell what people can expect from PC Daily and how to contribute, and let people who want to know more come to the forum section here and read more in-depth.

That said, maybe we will also have an About page that would be positioned separately (i.e. not an article, but able to be navigated to from the front page). For lack of any better example, here's one from my webzine. That page can be a more fleshed out version of this, and ideally would be fleshed out as PC Daily grows and has more examples of articles to talk about and link to, while it could also list say the editor team and include as you say some more detail about how to contribute. But the intention of this article is just to give a quick taste of what to expect and little more. Hope that makes sense!

As for the presentation, that will be better sorted out once I play along with how I want this article to look like on the wordpress side (which will partly depend on jake's design!) and then how each article in general should look. That may well be a separate discussion elsewhere closer to the launch.

Years
  • Age 32
  • UK
  • Seen Oct 17, 2023
I don't think it needs to be fluffed up too much more, but yeah layout will be important (once it can actually be sorted out, of course).

Fan Work Reviews – We'll feature Pokémon fan works we feel deserve extra attention, both those within PC and outside of it!

Creative Works – We can even feature creative works, from stories to drawings, specifically made for PC Daily!

As for these two points, they seem a little similar to me? It might be best to consolidate them into one point or reword it somehow. Most fan works involve some kind of art/story/game/ROM - at least that's what I'd expect from the first point.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
As for these two points, they seem a little similar to me? It might be best to consolidate them into one point or reword it somehow. Most fan works involve some kind of art/story/game/ROM - at least that's what I'd expect from the first point.
Fair point. I will aim to reword - they aren't meant to be the same thing, after all. The first one is reviewing works people have already made/are continuing to make (either on pc or elsewhere), while the other are creative works people create in this section to be posted to PC Daily (be it a comic or other art piece, or mock interview with a fictional character, or short story, etc).

Maybe:
Fan Work Reviews – We'll talk about Pokémon fan works we feel deserve extra attention, both those posted within PC and outside of it!

Creative Works – Entire creative pieces such as drawings and stories will also be made and posted straight to PC Daily!
?

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Guides – You can expect tutorials on a range of things, from Pokémon game challenges to ROM hacks to fanfics to drawing to Let's Plays to team building...
If you want to suggest that the list keeps on going, add another "to" at the end. As it is, it seems more like the list has finished but you just trailed off uncertainly.

Back