• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Stratos (New Hack with 15 Regions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrevi

Clueless.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2022
Sorry, but realistically, this cannot possibly work out. There's a very good reason for why people are being pessimistic about this.

Do you have any idea of how much planning, effort and time has to go into ONE region? Even with something that small, people still have to spend years to make anything of note. Two regions doubles your workload, but at least it's doable. Same for three.

But fifteen? No. Just no.

And that's just the workload itself. There's a plethora of other stuff that'll be amplified fifteen times over if you go through with this.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 5, 2023
Sorry, but realistically, this cannot possibly work out. There's a very good reason for why people are being pessimistic about this.

Do you have any idea of how much planning, effort and time has to go into ONE region? Even with something that small, people still have to spend years to make anything of note. Two regions doubles your workload, but at least it's doable. Same for three.

And that's just the workload itself. There's a plethora of other stuff that'll be amplified fifteen times over if you go through with this.

Agreed!

Years
Wow! And I thought Pokemon Prism's goals would be impossible! especially on a Gameboy color!
Well that doesn't matter, If you need help, contact me and we can get things going! I have hardly any plans. I'm free

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 13, 2019
Currently everything gens 1-5 since there are no community-made fan sprites for gens 6 or 7 for BW/B2W2. It will be challenging deciding how to spread out pokemon since I don't want people's favorites to be available too late in the game.

Interesting, sounds like a great method.

PokeQuality

PokeQuality
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018

Okay, I feel like I've answered this already but I'll make it super duper clear for future reference.

I understand that there are space issues, an unbelievable amount of scripting, new sprites to be added, engaging dialogue to be written, etc etc etc. It's not a wave of a magic wand. I AGREE with the responses saying that this is unrealistic. The purpose of this post is the premise and getting as close to it as possible. Maybe I'll have to spread it across several roms. Maybe I'll have to give up on certain ideas and locations for quality purposes. But you know what doesn't get me any further along in accomplishing/redirecting my focus? Reciting how this is going to be absurdly time consuming over and over again.

Besides that, once upon a time literally all ROM hacking was impossible, so now we're just saying since we don't know how to do it now, it won't happen?

PokeQuality

PokeQuality
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Wow! And I thought Pokemon Prism's goals would be impossible! especially on a Gameboy color!
Well that doesn't matter, If you need help, contact me and we can get things going! I have hardly any plans. I'm free

Expect a message sometime early/mid May! That's when I'll be much more free. Anyone else down to work on things, feel free to message me.

Adrevi

Clueless.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2022

Technical constraints are a completely separate issue here.

Don't you get it? Most ordinary ROM hacks of any quality whatsoever ALREADY have an absurd amount of writing, scripting, drawing, etc. It ALREADY takes up several years of time to finish something of any worth.

Your sense of how to plan and prepare -- and your sense of scale in this matter -- are completely and utterly off. You're thinking off making a jump from "well, I can do three push ups kinda" to "I am now out-wrestling olympic champions and vicious bears all at the same time, all I had to do was try, the others just didn't try hard enough".

My advice would be to return to the drawing board, and come up with ideas and objectives that are tangible and realistic -- something that you can start on right here and now.

I would also like to go through with my overly ambitious project with custom everything, but I have to face that I cannot yet draw, I cannot yet create music, I have a very limited understanding of game and story design... my objectives and planning have to reflect that.

PokeQuality

PokeQuality
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Technical constraints are a completely separate issue here.

Don't you get it? Most ordinary ROM hacks of any quality whatsoever ALREADY have an absurd amount of writing, scripting, drawing, etc. It ALREADY takes up several years of time to finish something of any worth.

Your sense of how to plan and prepare -- and your sense of scale in this matter -- are completely and utterly off. You're thinking off making a jump from "well, I can do three push ups kinda" to "I am now out-wrestling olympic champions and vicious bears all at the same time, all I had to do was try, the others just didn't try hard enough".

My advice would be to return to the drawing board, and come up with ideas and objectives that are tangible and realistic -- something that you can start on right here and now.

I would also like to go through with my overly ambitious project with custom everything, but I have to face that I cannot yet draw, I cannot yet create music, I have a very limited understanding of game and story design... my objectives and planning have to reflect that.

Well since we're casting judgment here, you're assuming far too much about the amount of time I've put into this idea. This post is a microcosm of my plans for this game. I'm not going to give you literally every bit of information I have because it would be a tedious read and involves background knowledge the average reader may not understand. This concept is based off an entirely different series of hacks I've been planning for over a year that I decided would be better off split based on the sheer volume of ideas and concepts I've come up with. You're also not considering that everything I'm putting into this game already exists design-wise in some shape or form, (whether it be regions already mapped Kanto-Unova or like Holon where I've already made a map of new locations) and it's only a matter of replicating them through scripting and map editing. I have plenty of IRL friends/siblings who are artists that dabble in sprite art, I'm not concerned with whether that is going to happen or not. I have been deeply focused in music since elementary school and understand how to compose, plus have found music editing tutorials.

I owe no explanation or justification to you. I'm not making any statement on the efforts of others not being enough. Don't project your lack of understanding of drawing, music and story design onto me. My only complaint about these comments has been the needless repetition after I acknowledged and agreed. If I am hearing you, telling you I understand, but continue to push forward anyway, what are you trying to accomplish outside of getting me to stop making it?

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 5, 2023
If you really want to make 15 regions, then I suggest you to go with not one but some several storylines. It will be better if you make 2 different storylines and then make a connection
with them in the 3rd storyline.. This would make the game interesting and people won't be
bored.

PokeQuality

PokeQuality
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
If you really want to make 15 regions, then I suggest you to go with not one but some several storylines. It will be better if you make 2 different storylines and then make a connection
with them in the 3rd storyline.. This would make the game interesting and people won't be
bored.

Trust me, I have a good idea of how it'll work =) there will be a good mix of plot, pokemon league/gym battles, catching mons, exploring, and more. Each region will have its own sets of issues to tackle, but there will be an overlaying theme to the whole game.

Adrevi

Clueless.
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 18, 2022
If I am hearing you, telling you I understand, but continue to push forward anyway, what are you trying to accomplish outside of getting me to stop making it?

For something to actually come out from this, which I do not believe will happen at the moment. But fine, I'm sorry and I'll leave now.

But if you eventually do end up with even a 1/3rd of whatever you're planning and promising, I think I'd be pretty amazed already.

Last edited:

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
How much free time do you have to dedicate to ROM hacking? I've been putting in 6-7 hours a day working on my hack for the past month and I'm still probably a year out from completing it. It's only one region, too, so I don't understand how you think that you can get 15 regions into a cohesive game without them being incredibly shallow while still completing it before 2025.

Do you have any examples of previous projects to prove you have the work ethic for following through on a concept as ambitious as this?

Last edited:

PokeQuality

PokeQuality
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
How much free time do you have to dedicate to ROM hacking? I've been putting in 6-7 hours a day working on my hack for the past month and I'm still probably a year out from completing it. It's only one region, too, so I don't understand how you think that you can get 15 regions into a cohesive game without them being incredibly shallow while still completing it before 2025.

Do you have any examples of previous projects to prove you have the work ethic for following through on a concept as ambitious as this?

I'm not quite understanding why I'm being asked to prove anything... but I suppose the closest things to this that I've done (outside of years of fooling around with gen 3 rom hacking programs) is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UqECZNyAts&t=32s

Gen 4.5, where I've spent months creating movesets and choosing new abilities/attacks for mons. I have a HG&SS with completely filled PCs of different mons based on this. The videos have been on hiatus due to life and lack of easily available battlers.

Not that Gen 4.5 is anywhere as ambitious as this, but I've easily spent hundreds of hours on it. There's even a download for 540 pokemon in the description of that video to put on hgss (That's all I can fit on one game)

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
I decided to look into it a bit more.

I find it incredibly hard not to question your work ethic and commitment to projects when 2 years ago you posted this similarly ambitious project, then dropped off the face of the earth for a 2 years, then returned having nothing to show for it. I'd recommend you start with some less ambitious projects before you commit yourself to something you won't finish again, at least until you know what projects like these entail in a pragmatic sense rather than just some general storyboarding.

PokeQuality

PokeQuality
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
I decided to look into it a bit more.

I find it incredibly hard not to question your work ethic and commitment to projects when 2 years ago you posted this similarly ambitious project, then dropped off the face of the earth for a 2 years, then returned having nothing to show for it. I'd recommend you start with some less ambitious projects before you commit yourself to something you won't finish again, at least until you know what projects like these entail in a pragmatic sense rather than just some general storyboarding.

If you read that post at all, you would see that I said I wasn't actively trying to work on that idea.

- "This discussion goes beyond anything done in the hacking community, and as of now to my knowledge is impossible."
- "But alone this would be much too massive of a task to handle on my own."
- "I am posting this as sort of a "Who's with me?!?" sort of deal, but also just to feel out the reactions people would have."

Honestly, I'd recommend you stop going so far to criticize me and ignore what I CITED as a project example. Idk how a gen 5 rom hack is anything remotely similar to a 3d pokemon game made from the ground up. Please don't try and tell me there is any similarity in those two things.

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
The purpose of asking for another project you've invested a comparable amount of time on was to let you demonstrate your work ethic and commitment, which were the qualities I was calling into question that would be necessary for completing a project of this nature. That's why I cited the other project as an example, not because they're mechanically similar, but because they're similar in spirit.

In regards to your Generation 4.5 project, I'd like to point out that 15 regions of fleshed out gameplay isn't comparable in scale to moveset changes and minor expansions to a battle simulator. All I'm questioning is your ability to follow through on a project as big as the one you're proposing. If you think you can do it, by all means go for it, but don't trick yourself into thinking it's as simple a task to do correctly as you're presenting it to be.

Years
  • Age 118
  • Seen Feb 4, 2022
I'd be interested in seeing something like this come about, as B/W have never been my favorite games and this could really turn them around for me.

As long as you understand the difficulties that will come about working on this, I feel like it could happen.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 5, 2023
Trust me, I have a good idea of how it'll work =) there will be a good mix of plot, pokemon league/gym battles, catching mons, exploring, and more. Each region will have its own sets of issues to tackle, but there will be an overlaying theme to the whole game.

Then tell us the storyline, please.

PokeQuality

PokeQuality
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Then tell us the storyline, please.

I may update the main post to include it, but I also don't want to spoil too much. Once I've 90% figured out how the game is gonna go, I'll post more about what happens after you leave Orre.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back