• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Highest education

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
Finished my Bachelor of Arts (Politics/International Studies & Literature), currently making my way through my Master of Environment & Sustainability. I can't see myself doing a PhD.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
have the opportunity to get free college credits through my job and earn a masters and phd if i wish, but alas....school is just not for me. might consider it in the future if i had more energy and free time
I'm going to assume you work at a public university (as opposed to a purely privately-funded university)? That said, you say "school is just not for me" but you work at a school? :tongue-poke:

Bachelor in chemical biology, Masters in organic chemistry, and currently in the midst of getting a PhD in organic electronics.
Had no idea there was a name for this field of study---not that I'm surprised! That said, what exactly does the bolded entail? I have my own speculations, but would rather hear this from a PhD student pursuing this.

Master's Degree in Economic Journalism and I'm starting a PhD in Applied Economics.
Out of curiosity, what school of economics do you subscribe to, assuming that is a thing for you and/or want to attach labels toward your approach to economics?

I have this fancy piece of paper that says that I'm supposed to be smart and know geology things

even though I'm not smart and don't know geology things anymore

It's specifically a Bachelor's of Science in Geoscience, says cum laude on it.
Are you trying to suggest college was (and perhaps is) a waste of time? :tongue-poke:

As for myself, I have a High School Diploma, and ~2.5 years of university education---which seems like a lifetime ago.

Though, I would have to ponder if I have still have my credits, since it's been ~10 years. While I entertain the notion of going back to pursue a certification contradictory what I originally pursued, the inflation of education costs & excessive political activism (for lack of a better term) taking place at primarily large universities generates quite a bit of contention for me going back.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Had no idea there was a name for this field of study---not that I'm surprised! That said, what exactly does the bolded entail? I have my own speculations, but would rather hear this from a PhD student pursuing this.
In short, it's electronics using organic materials (conductive polymers and other carbon based materials) instead of the traditional silicon based technology. It's very fascinating, imo, very futuristic.

Years
I'm going to assume you work at a public university (as opposed to a purely privately-funded university)? That said, you say "school is just not for me" but you work at a school? :tongue-poke:

I mean....working at a school is completely different from going to classes, studying for tests, doing homework and etc, I assure you =p I personally dislike studying and have an especially huge distaste for presentations, which were a staple in my school life. but the idea of a free advanced degree (even if I can only attend part time because of work and would therefore take 2-3x the amount of time to finish) is still tempting.

but yes, I do work for a public university!

Last edited:
Years
I only completed high school, and about a year of coursework at a college. I dropped out due to mental health reasons after my freshman year of college (this coincides to the time my activity stopped on all forums woop woop). After that, I took a semester off, and then tried enrolling at a community college but still couldn't even do that.

I gave up & moved back home.

The currently I currently work for allows tuition reimbursement, but I just don't have the time and energy to work over 40 hours a week as well as study. ~_~

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Are you trying to suggest college was (and perhaps is) a waste of time? :tongue-poke:
was more just taking a jab at myself really, but I don't have a particularly high opinion of the US education system either

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
currently just my high school degree, but by next summer I'll hopefully have a Bachelor of Science degree in Biology. I'm going to hopefully then starting working on getting a DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine), but if I don't get in the first time, I'll look into further studying Animal Behavior/Animal Science/Zoology (not sure which one and how high I would want to go yet haha) then trying again.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
I mean....working at a school is completely different from going to classes, studying for tests, doing homework and etc, I assure you =p I personally dislike studying and have an especially huge distaste for presentations, which were a staple in my school life. but the idea of a free advanced degree (even if I can only attend part time because of work and would therefore take 2-3x the amount of time to finish) is still tempting.
I was being a bit facetious with the previous comment, though the irony should be appreciated. :tongue-poke:

was more just taking a jab at myself really, but I don't have a particularly high opinion of the US education system either
Neither do I, especially with a system that seems to overly focus on standardized testing (at least was my experience). My first two years in college seem to be a rehash of high school to the point I could say I was in grade 13 & grade 14.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, since it's been about 10 years.

The currently I currently work for allows tuition reimbursement, but I just don't have the time and energy to work over 40 hours a week as well as study. ~_~
Assuming you're serious about going back to school, couldn't you make an argument for lowering your work hours in order to increase your long-term value to your employer? Of course, if you do get paid hourly, this could possibly be a great sacrifice to you at the moment---unless you can ask for a raise.

Years
Assuming you're serious about going back to school, couldn't you make an argument for lowering your work hours in order to increase your long-term value to your employer? Of course, if you do get paid hourly, this could possibly be a great sacrifice to you at the moment---unless you can ask for a raise.

The company I'm with is flexible, but is not that flexible. They don't really have "part-time" positions. :S

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Neither do I, especially with a system that seems to overly focus on standardized testing (at least was my experience). My first two years in college seem to be a rehash of high school to the point I could say I was in grade 13 & grade 14.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, since it's been about 10 years.
It's still pretty much the case yeah. I mean, college ended for me 4 years ago and high school 8 years ago, but both my parents work as teachers and my job has me in schools, and from all that it still seems like it's the same shit from when you or I were in school.

Years
About to get a BS; if I can make it through while taking a full semester of classes and doing 23 hours of part time work! Honestly, every day gets harder and harder for me to fight the senioritis.

FlameChrome

[color=#7fffd4]IDK what to put here[/color]
Years
For me, Im still in school and speciall in math classes you got a assessment once a week, which is stupid. So all in all, maybe about 5 to 6 assessments in a month, and that would be a light month, without finals or some stuff

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
It's still pretty much the case yeah. I mean, college ended for me 4 years ago and high school 8 years ago, but both my parents work as teachers and my job has me in schools, and from all that it still seems like it's the same shit from when you or I were in school.
Go figure...

About to get a BS
You may want to be specific with this, since this can have multiple interpretations---especially in the context of this conversation. :tongue-poke:

Years
I currently hold an AS degree in IT. Right now I'm in school as a junior at my university hoping to get a bachelors, but that might be halted soon with a lot that's going to be coming up in my life these next few months.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Out of curiosity, what school of economics do you subscribe to, assuming that is a thing for you and/or want to attach labels toward your approach to economics?

I'm a New Keynesian with social-democratic policy inclinations and heavily influenced by Liberalism of the kind espoused by The Economist.

Years
So far, I only completed high school, but I'm in the last year for bachelor degree in Education for primary schools (but only from 6th grade up). I plan on doing Master degree in the same field and probably PHD in IT. My specialization right now is Math and IT.

CrimsonMajestic

From Dusk to Dawn
Years
How are you just now completing high school but in the last year of completing a Bachelor's Degree? Taking AP classes during your high school tenure, or whatever equivalent that is in the education system you're in?

Years
I don't know how the US terminology works but basically what I mean is I completed two full college courses and got diplomas that say it?
Like I graduated college twice?
Idk how it works in the US tho.

Back