• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] No Pokemon Center Challenge

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2014
The No Pokemon Center Challenge

OG8hA.png

This challenge is exactly what it says on the tin. You must complete the game without using Pokemon Centers to heal. Yes, it is possible. This challenge relies on thought, discipline, and planning. Are you prepared to take on the hardest of Pokemon challenges?

The Rules

-No healing at Pokemon Centers.
Note: This includes Pokemon Center alternatives Ex: Mom, Silph Rest Zone, ect.
-If you white/black out you must go to a Pokecenter, thus you lose.
The following rules apply to Generation II and beyond.
-Once a Pokemon is deposited in a box, it may not be withdrawn again. This includes captured Pokemon that are automatically deposited.
Exceptions: A Pokemon is caught in the wild at full health.
A Pokemon is deposited with full health AND PP.
-No move deleter.
-No day care.

Its as simple as that!

Ultimate Challenge - Beat all 5 generations without using a Pokemon Center. You may decide to change your mind on this later.

Terms of Victory
You have officially won the challenge when you have...
Kanto - Defeated the League Champion.
Johto - Defeated Red.
Hoenn - Defeated the Elite Four or in Emerald defeated Stephen.
Shinnoh - Defeated the Elite Four.
Unova - Defeated Champion Alder.

Name:
Game:
Ultimate:

Challengers

Spoiler:

Champions

Spoiler:

If you need strategy tips a fellow named Cote has done Let's Plays of Blue and Ruby No Pokemon Centers on Youtube. They are both pretty good.

Blue - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovktk0lM7U4
Ruby - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulmYtq6wZQk

Our very own TheSuccessfulGamer is also doing a LP of this, its currently in progress, so be sure to watch him fail play!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
I have a question about a rule.

"Once a Pokemon is deposited in a box, it may not be withdrawn again"

What if you have a 6 Pokemon Team and you catch a Pokemon, are you allowed to go and get it out the box for your team?
If not what if you have a Pokemon that has never been in a battle in your team but you want the one you just caught instead of the one that hasn't been in a battle, can you go and get it then?

Anyway I like this challenge.

Name: TheSuccessfulGamer
Game: Silver/Johto
Ultimate: Maybe.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2014
I have a question about a rule.

"Once a Pokemon is deposited in a box, it may not be withdrawn again"

What if you have a 6 Pokemon Team and you catch a Pokemon, are you allowed to go and get it out the box for your team?
If not what if you have a Pokemon that has never been in a battle in your team but you want the one you just caught instead of the one that hasn't been in a battle, can you go and get it then?

I suppose I should elaborate more upon this rule.

In G/S/C and beyond sending a Pokemon to your box causes it to to become automatically healed, a major gamebreaker. So if you have a team of 6 Pokemon and you catch a new one, the new Pokemon cannot be withdrawn again, since that would heal it. So if you want to catch a new Pokemon you must do it with 5 Pokemon in your party. The only exception to this rule would be if you caught a Pokemon at completely full health, since the healing effects of the box would not matter.

A special sidenote, I think it would be fair to allow Pokemon to be deposited and withdrawn again if they have full HP and PP when they are deposited, so a Pokemon never before used in battle could be deposited, as long as you healed it to full health before hand.

Anyways, I'm glad that you have decided to take this challenge! Be sure to post some updates on your quest, since this thread needs some activity to get it jump started.

Years
  • Seen Jun 15, 2012
I am recording me playing this for Youtube so if you want to check it out I am posting it Here

But I will still post here when something of interest happens

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Feb 19, 2017
Okay I'm in, this is arguably the HARDEST challenge here, I'm gonna play Firered (Kanto obviously), and I'll update the status :)

PS:This is my first challenge ever

Okay let's go for the status updates :)

Kanto is the HARDEST region for a simple reason, you can't buy elixers/ethers, and you can't farm berries! So there is virtually NO WAY you can restore PP.

Now, I picked my starter, squirtle, he is at LVL 22, so it's a wartortle.
I beat the 2nd GYM, and Gary (gary was really tough). My strategy depends on catching alot of wild pokemon, and using them to train my wartortle. I have 1 full box now, and alot of pokeballs. I obtained enough money from the nugget I found and the starpiece.

Oh, and I ALWAYS catch pokemon without attacking them.

Fast update: I just caught a LVL 29 dugtrio from diglett cave! I spent alot of Pokeballs on it, but it's really worth it.

Another Update: I went through until I reached Koga, and then lost. Will rechallenge this again when I have time

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jun 26, 2015
can i ask is runnin on emulator allowed? interested in the challenge but not in gettin a cap device for em.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 16, 2018
I just completed this challenge in Leaf Green!

I put four more rules for myself that I considered making the challenge more fun: every TM number may be used only once, we have to complete the side Quest on Sevii islands with Bill before the Elite Four, we have to defeat every single trainer in the game, we cannot use revives.

I considered completing the game beyond the elite four, but I got a free heal at that point and as such considered the challenge done.

I chose Charmander, and went to get myself two lvl 5 Spearows and a lvl 5 Mankey on route 22. I farmed exp on my Charmander by pecking down wild kakunas and metapods for quite some time. I used the Mankey on those too to learn Low Kick, then continued to beat lvl 4 Rattatas with Low Kick (+leer or scratch), saving 5 Low Kicks for Brock. Charmander Embered down the bug catchers in the Forest and eventually got Metal Claw. This is when I defeated rival and Brock's gym. Brock is obviously a challenge, but metal Claw brings down Geodude and 2 Low Kicks from my lvl 8 Mankey brought Onix to low enough health. I sacrificed one Spearow to heal Charmander and got through Brock.

On route 3 I got another lvl 8 Spearow, as well as a Geodude in the cave. With those I (barely) got through My. Moon. Afterwards I tought Mega Kick and Mega Punch, which got me through Nugget Bridge. At this point Charmeleon started to become pretty strong. After Nugget Bridge is the first Elixir, and soon after that you get the TMs for Secret Power, Dig and Brick Break. This carried me for quite a while. These TMs are purchasable and could in theory be rotated infinitely, which is why I set a rule to ban that for myself. I did go and catch myself a lvl 14 Bellsprout, tought it Bullet Seed and trained it on Hikers / sailers. I strongly recommend being careful with Shellders, as their Icycle spear almost wrecked my Bellsprout. Only after SS Anne, when I had a Weepinbell with Growth and Vine Whip did I bring down Misty. Set up Growth on Staryu, and wreck Starmie. I considered getting a Dugtrio, but magnitude+ arena trap could have easily wrecked me so so judged it too dangerous. After this, I continued with Charmeleon (be careful of magnitude on geodude, as this is where an earlier attempt failed; I got wrecked during Dig). Weepinbell deals well with Hikers still. Once you get a Charizard you get Wing Attack, which is its big selling point for me. Wing Attack has 60 power, STAB, and 35 PP, which quickly can be bumped to 56 with PP UPs. Every Max Ether and Max Elixir gets full effect. Once I got passed Snorlax, I got a super rod, caught a Poliwhirl, got some exp in Digletts cave before trading for Jynx. I later master balled Zapdos. In this phase I caught a lot of trash to get exp share and boost Jynx to high level. All rare candies went to Zapdos, which meant Charizard, Jynx and Zapdos were all above lvl 60 by the time I got to the elite four. The end was really trivial.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 30, 2019
Name:Enne24
Game:Black
Ultimate: no, but i night change my mind XD

Thought it wasnt gonna be that hard until i read "no love deleter" ahah

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 5, 2021
Perhaps it is a good idea, since newer generations are coming out, to add a region specific market clause. Since in some of the newer gens the pokemart is inside the pokemon center, i think people should be allowed (if needed in their gen) to enter pokemon centers to buy healing items.

Anyway

Name:BewearDeservesAMega
Game: Shield
Ultra:No but I may change my mind.

I did not mean to put that emoji in. I meant shield

Last edited by a moderator:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
Perhaps it is a good idea, since newer generations are coming out, to add a region specific market clause. Since in some of the newer gens the pokemart is inside the pokemon center, i think people should be allowed (if needed in their gen) to enter pokemon centers to buy healing items.

It looks like that is totally allowed - no problems there! Just don't get too close to the Nurse's counter!
Also, I merged all your posts into one! It's better that way, and keeps things more tidy especially in a forum section like this one. And finally, a reminder that you can edit your posts after they're up, in order to fix typos and such! The emoji that you saw, in particular, was just due to you typing ":S", in case you were wondering. Thanks for your understanding, and enjoy the challenge!

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 5, 2021
Thank you for the relevant information! Anyway, I chose Grookey as my starter and caught a rookidee and a chewtle on route 2 for optimal type coverage. Pretty much my entire team evolved soon and corvisquire easily defeated Milo, Thwackey crushed Nessa and Drednaw crushed Kabu. Corvisquire and Thwackey evolved again and after teaching Rillaboom Knock off and Drednaw crunch Allister was a breeze as well. Now that Corvisquire has evolved, he has gained the steel type and has learned Steel wing. This will be very useful in tackling Opal and Melony, since their teams are both weak to steel.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 5, 2021
I went on my way to Ballonlea and decided to catch an impidimp in glimwood tangle for more type coverage. Opal and melony were extremely easy due to my newly evolved Corviknight as mentioned before. Impidimp soonly evolved twice and I gave him a big root to boost the move I had taught him with opal's TM, Draining kiss. As a result Piers was easy to beat but I was worried about Raihan due to some previous bad experiences. I one-shotted both of his first pokemon, Gigalith with Rillaboom and Flygon with Grimsnarl. I then one-shotted his Sandaconda with Rillaboom, but Duraludon outsped and killed Grimmsnarl. He waisted the rest of his dynamax trying to kill Rillaboom who (I still don't understand why) survived two max steelspikes. I then endeavoured him to death. Also sorry for making a new post. I don't really understand how to fuse them.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 5, 2021
I went to Wyndon without issue and finished the semifinals and finals with an array of different super effective moves. Before tackling Rose I realized that literally half of my team was weak to steel and had no super effective moves against it. Since the only region why I made it through Rose tower was dumb look, I went and caught an eevee on Route 4. I then grinded it up and evolved it with a fire stone and Rose was extremely easy as a consequence. I then caught Eternatus and am still preparing for the match with Leon. Although I have at least one STAB super effective move for each of his pokemon, he is the only trainer in the game that I have never defeated first try.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
Also sorry for making a new post. I don't really understand how to fuse them.
Just to clear this out... I hope I'm not getting annoying! But, double posting is allowed in this subsection of the forum when you're making an update to your run or something like that! The reason why I merged your posts before was that you made all those 3 posts in a very short time span without having to make any progress update or anything - and in that case, it would have been better to just make one single post instead - by the way, merging posts is something only Staff can do ;)

That said, good luck for your last update on your run! You've done great so far 😁

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 5, 2021
Before I continue, I would like to specify that this is not at all getting annoying and is very helpful as a matter of fact. Anyway, I am about to challenge Leon and I thought It would be amusing to look at what I expect/hope will happen and compare it with what actually does. So here goes:

-Leon sends out Aegislash and I lava plume/fire blast it into Armageddon
-He sends out Haxorus and I switch in Grimmsnarl and finish it of with a few Play Roughs
-He sends out Dragapult and I keep in Grimmsnarl since I am immune to or resist all his STAB moves.
-He sends out Mr. Rime and I switch Flareon back and KO it.
-He sends out Cinderace and I switch in Drednaw and finish it off.
-He sends out Charizard and I switch in my survivors to buy time and heal drednaw up.
-Charizard shrinks and I dynamax drednaw and finish it.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 5, 2021
All right, now this is what really happened:

-He sent out Aegislash and after 2 lava plumes, He was at what must have been red hp. He then used a full restore but I still managed to KO
-He sent out Haxorus and although he outsped and Iron tail but Grimmsnarl barely survived. I then one shot with Play Rough.
-He then surprisingly sent out Cinderace so I sent out Drednaw. After KO-ing Drednaw leveled up and learned head smash which was pretty lucky.
-He then sent out Seismitoad which I guess is only logical since I picked grrokey. I one-shotted with drum beating.
-He sent out Dragapult and I decided to stay in, because Grimmsnarl would not have survived, but after a Wood Hammer and a Drum Beating it was time to say goodbye to dragapult.
-He then finally sent out Charizard and after switching in Eternatus which took two whole valuable turns to KO, I fed it Grimmsnarl and Charizard shrunk.
-I switched in Drednaw and although it was close because Charizard charged for a Solar Beam, Max Rockfall OHKO'ed.

I am extremely lucky that Leon's Charizard can Gigantamax because he would have used Max Flare if he couldnt which would activate intense sunlight. This would mean that Solar beam would not have to charge and since it is 4x super effective against Drednaw The battle would have taken a different turn

anyway.....

I did it.
I did it!
I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!

Back