Has sent out Pikachu!

Age 25
he/him
Snezhnaya, Teyvat.
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
7,554 posts
13.9 Years
We'll probably get free updates or a dlc at some point, honestly. I'm sure of it. But, it's too early to say.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.

Male
Tennessee
Seen 3 Days Ago
Posted 5 Days Ago
5,535 posts
12.6 Years
There is already hints within the game that there will be DLC. I am pretty sure we will get some sort of DLC, but given that Legends Arceus didn't, I can't be 100% certain. They will obviously have patches and stuff when it is needed, but I don't think we will have free updates other than adding capability for the use of more pokemon they add in DLC.

However, Sword and Shield is the second highest selling game, only being beat by the original generation. So I am almost certain Game Freak/Pokemon Company will grasp and run with that idea and add DLC because people will buy.

Sheep

She/Her
Australia
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
38,187 posts
16.2 Years
Seems like it'll be DLC going by the last gen. Would rather it have been a free update but I'd rather paid DLC than Game Freak stretching themselves even thinner with another game. :X Hoping it'll be even better than SwSh's DLC, Isle of Armor was meh but Crown Tundra was much better.

_confused_piplup_

Age 22
she/her
Paldea
Seen 59 Minutes Ago
Posted 7 Hours Ago
2,769 posts
1.6 Years
I think there is a high probability for a DLC. For now I haven't found any hint for the game to get more content (except for reintroducing other pokemon and legendaries), but Game freak needs to make this game last more. Since they always do the same things, I feel like from Sword and Shield the new games will get a DLC.
Arceus was different. It wasn't a real "mainline" game, but the counterpart to BDSP for the idea of remakes. If they had planned a DLC for Arceus, then we would have got SV next year.

Adam Levine

I have tried all of your remedies

Age 20
he/they
Kara's Flowers
Seen 17 Hours Ago
Posted 3 Days Ago
5,096 posts
11.1 Years
They absolutely will get post-launch content. Not only have they been teasing things in the Scarlet/Violet Book (namely the hexagonal-shelled Pokémon responsible for the Terastal phenomenon and the "imagined Pokémon"), but there's also a suspicious border around Northeastern Paldea. DLC for both of these teasers seems extremely likely, if not guaranteed.