• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] Things that may have Saved these games?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 28, 2019
It's saddening to see how many people are considering skipping these games, and hate to say it but I am one of them. The reasons for people's disinterest are usually connected to the Pokemon Go aspect of capture, and how patronizingly easy the games seem to be. I personally could have overlooked the Pokemon Go capture system. However, the lack of difficulty due to the game holding your hand, giving you gym restrictions, allowing 2 players to take part in one battle, the "friendly rival" and letting you start off with a Mew is a huge turn-off. Also the games being extremely similar to the 5 other kanto games in terms of where you go in what order, who you meet, same 151 pokemon, and dialogue being barely changed has ruined any chances of me getting these.

So I was thinking of things which could have saved these games and made people more hyped for them. Here's some ideas I came up with, please feel free to add your own.

1) Voice acting. We've had fully voiced games since PS1 days, so why not make a fully voiced Pokemon game? At the very least it would turn a few heads. If they couldn't be bothered to voice every NCP and Pokemon, just voice the main characters, gym leaders, maybe the starter Pokemon, and the rival.

3) New Towns and locations - In the Anime, there were far more towns and characters than in the games, so why not include some? We even saw different Kanto badges to those Ash collected. It would be so disappointing to just visit the exact same towns from the past 5 games, in the same order, with same gym leaders and even the dialogue we've seen so far is majorly copy/pasted.

3) Evolve Pikachu and Eevee and have cutscenes/events with their evolutions. I'm sure they could fit this in if they only included Kanto Evolutions. It's only 5 Pokemon, which could be made into 5 unique characters. Have Flareon playing in Cinnabar island, Vaporeon swimming around in water, Jolteon/Raichu absorbing electricity from machines at the powerplant. They had tons of this in the Pokepark games, so why not add just a little of it now?

4) Have optional Pokemon Snap Gameplay in some areas. Let's Go is a Nintendo Switch game, I don't see why they couldn't use certain places as a fun Pokemon-Snap minigame, especially now Pokemon are in the overworld. Maybe we could go through Mount Moon, Seafoam Islands, the safari zone etc taking photographs and having them scored. Snap was a small game in itself, so just including it a little bit would add something for fans to look forward to.

5) Story originality. Rather than the basic "trainer gets pokemon defeats team rocket becomes champion" add something to it. Maybe include Mewtwo/Mew along the adventure, Mewtwo could interact with the trainer warming to them as they progressed. The legendary birds could have storylines - maybe connected with humans who were tracking them down. Just give us something exciting to look forward to between the normal gym battles.

6) Goes without saying but no one wants a boring "friendly rival" We need a rival who will push us and challenge us, who makes us WANT to defeat them and perhaps one who grows as an individual along the adventure. There's plenty of friendly characters, make our rival someone worthy of the title.

Just some ideas I had, please share any more on this thread :)

Years
Voice acting would be an incredibly iffy area, mostly because there'd have to be an English version and a Japanese version as is the case in some JRPGs I believe, but that's really scratching the surface of things. It's the quality of voice acting that I think people would take really seriously in a Pokemon game, and if the voice doesn't fit the character, I can also see that turning away quite a few people.

... I don't mean to nitpick, but yeah. u.u

I mean, as someone who doesn't play Pokemon Go, I was very willing to overlook most faults in the games if only the games weren't marketed as such that you absolutely NEEDED Go to get the most enjoyment out of this game rather than just being purely optional.

Really though, off the top of my head, have more content in the game for those who aren't huge players of Pokemon Go. I think Masuda needs to think about players who just aren't all that thrilled about it but yet still are interested in the main series Pokemon games, and I would hope that giving us more to do in the plot (if it's changed in anyway) as well as adding some sort of decent post-game would help.

Back