• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Hey guys, when I open Overworld Editor it says "Error loading INI settings for this game" when I load my FR Rom. Why is it doing this and is there any way to fix it?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
It's refusing to warp. I've tried searching for a way to solve it, and I've tried quite a few different things to resolve the issue, but nothing's worked. The warp isn't working. Also, I've set up warps for things such as doors without any issues. I'm only having a problem with stairs.

There are some special tile behaviours that facilitate you going up and down stairs. When you hover your mouse over a tile in an untouched FR map in Advance Map you can see that specific tile's number. In a map with stairs you should be able to notice that the tile number changes when you compare the tile at the foot of the stairs to the rest of the similar looking tiles in the map. For example,on the bottom floor of Celadon Mansion - Instead of being tile 0x282, the tile next to the stairs is tile 0x2F1. It is necessary to have this tile as it provides the warp functionality, which you can see because it has a behaviour byte of 0x6C when you view it in the tileset editor. There are four of these sorts of tiles which accommodate for you going up and to the right (0x6C), up and to the left (0x6D), down and to the right (0x6E) as well as down and to the left (0x6F).

Anyway, either make an extra tile which has the correct behaviour byte or use one already in the tileset and place it next to the stairs.

Thanks guys, getting XSE now.

I've started opening some tools I already downloaded, but there's this one that refuses to open: CyclonePrototype. I get an error everytime. I've tried every solution I've searched for, but none of them work. Is there a way someone can reupload it with the right files it needs to run (the one I downloaded had just the program), or tell me if there's another program that does everything Cyclone does?

Nameless Tile Map Editor does the same thing as Cyclone and is more up to date so you should use that.

Hey guys, when I open Overworld Editor it says "Error loading INI settings for this game" when I load my FR Rom. Why is it doing this and is there any way to fix it?

In a lot of the tools you download there should be a small configuration file that provides data which is necessary for the ROM to work - It tells the ROM where to start looking for/ loading information. If you've deleted or moved this file from its original location then that would explain your problem. You may have also changed your ROM header, but if that was the case then the majority of tools would not work.

Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Yeah, I don't think the header is the problem, all my other programs work. But there aren't any files with my the editor, so I guess I'll download another one. Thanks.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
There are some special tile behaviours that facilitate you going up and down stairs. When you hover your mouse over a tile in an untouched FR map in Advance Map you can see that specific tile's number. In a map with stairs you should be able to notice that the tile number changes when you compare the tile at the foot of the stairs to the rest of the similar looking tiles in the map. For example,on the bottom floor of Celadon Mansion - Instead of being tile 0x282, the tile next to the stairs is tile 0x2F1. It is necessary to have this tile as it provides the warp functionality, which you can see because it has a behaviour byte of 0x6C when you view it in the tileset editor. There are four of these sorts of tiles which accommodate for you going up and to the right (0x6C), up and to the left (0x6D), down and to the right (0x6E) as well as down and to the left (0x6F).

Anyway, either make an extra tile which has the correct behaviour byte or use one already in the tileset and place it next to the stairs.

Thanks! I managed to get it working with that information. I thought that I had the correct tile set up for it, but apparently I didn't!

Jake 53

noob hacker
Years
  • Seen Jul 3, 2013
This may be a dumb question, but this really is the only thing bothering me. Everthing else I can work with. Is it possible to start completely from scratch using advance map?

tajaros

Hi I'm dawg
Years
This may be a dumb question, but this really is the only thing bothering me. Everthing else I can work with. Is it possible to start completely from scratch using advance map?

Why start everything over again when you can replace the maps and inset new ones? :)

Years
  • Seen Sep 8, 2012
Is there a limit to how much you can change or add to a pokemon rom? I mean, is there a limit for how many new maps I can insert or how many trainers there can be?

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018
Is there a limit to how much you can change or add to a pokemon rom? I mean, is there a limit for how many new maps I can insert or how many trainers there can be?

You can have a maximum of 0x100 map banks (0x0 - 0xFF inclusive) with 0x100 maps in each (0x0 - 0xFF inclusive), giving you a maximum limit of 65,536 maps in the game.

Which offset is Bill's level script in Cinnabar Island?

0x166F88

KF

Years
  • Seen Mar 31, 2013
Thanks!

Can someone write me or explain me how to write a script for a Move Tutor that learns Surf to Pikachu ONLY and ONLY with max happiness?

Robert Conley

GPXPlus.net/user/Robert+Conley
Years
The bridge tiles need to have a background byte of 00, so that they cover the hero when they walk normally under it, and not $20, block is covered by hero. The bridge itself needs to be covered in 3C movement permissions, of course. The upper part of the bridge, on both sides of the bridge, needs to have movement permissions of 10. Example in the spoiler.

Spoiler:

Did all that still getting the problem of the hero walking over instead of under.

EDIT: NEVER MIND I FIGURED OUT THE THING I WAS DOING WRONG WAS NOT BUILDING THE BLOCK WITH A BACKGROUND.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 2, 2017
Thanks!

Can someone write me or explain me how to write a script for a Move Tutor that learns Surf to Pikachu ONLY and ONLY with max happiness?

Wouldn't you be able to use the scripts of the Blast Burn/Frenzy Plant/Hydro Pump tutor, but change the values to Pikachu and Surf?

Out of curiosity, how exactly does the coding for the rival work, with how he uses different pokemon depending on the starter you choose? Curious because I kinda would like to explore the possibility of multiple 'rivals'.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Wouldn't you be able to use the scripts of the Blast Burn/Frenzy Plant/Hydro Pump tutor, but change the values to Pikachu and Surf?

The move tutors teach only certain moves, it's not like an actual variable. You have to change the move tutor data accordingly.

Out of curiosity, how exactly does the coding for the rival work, with how he uses different pokemon depending on the starter you choose? Curious because I kinda would like to explore the possibility of multiple 'rivals'.

Every single possible battle is an individual battle in A-Map. The scripts check which starter you picked, and then loads the corresponding battle. In Firered, I think the "Rival" trainer class automatically loads the rival name chosen in the beginning of the game as the name of the battler. So, if you picked the name "Gary" in Oak's intro, all trainers with the trainer class "Rival" would have the name "Gary" show up after it, no matter what you set as the name.

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
Years
I copied and pasted the Pokecenter script word for word from a clean Fire Red ROM onto my hacked ROM and when I tried to access it in-game, it worked up to the part where she says "Thank you for waiting, we've restored your Pokemon to full health."

After that text finishes loading, the game freezes and spasms out on colors (Shown below). What is the cause of this?

Spoiler:

redriders180

Years
I copied and pasted the Pokecenter script word for word from a clean Fire Red ROM onto my hacked ROM and when I tried to access it in-game, it worked up to the part where she says "Thank you for waiting, we've restored your Pokemon to full health."

After that text finishes loading, the game freezes and spasms out on colors (Shown below). What is the cause of this?

Spoiler:

You need to copy both level scripts for PokeCenters as well. One of them is a special that is ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED, and the other one is data for sethealingplace.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 19, 2015
I've tried looking through the forums here, but haven't found an answer to the question, which I will pose here:

What are the maximum dimensions for over world trainer sprites in the 3rd gen games? I know they're probably different between R/S/E and FR/LG, so I might need both. However, I'm mainly concerned with Emerald, since that is the base my friend wants to use for a hack. I've volunteered to do some graphics work for her, so I would like to know before I get to creating sprites.

Sorry if I'm seeming newbish, but I really would like to know. (and yes, I'm aware that the in-battle sprite dimensions are 64x64. I need over-worlds.)

(Also yes, I've seen Metapod23's tutorial for inserting, as well as Chesu's guid to making the sprites. Neither actually seems to say the dimensions I can use.)

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
I've tried looking through the forums here, but haven't found an answer to the question, which I will pose here:

What are the maximum dimensions for over world trainer sprites in the 3rd gen games? I know they're probably different between R/S/E and FR/LG, so I might need both. However, I'm mainly concerned with Emerald, since that is the base my friend wants to use for a hack. I've volunteered to do some graphics work for her, so I would like to know before I get to creating sprites.

Sorry if I'm seeming newbish, but I really would like to know. (and yes, I'm aware that the in-battle sprite dimensions are 64x64. I need over-worlds.)

(Also yes, I've seen Metapod23's tutorial for inserting, as well as Chesu's guid to making the sprites. Neither actually seems to say the dimensions I can use.)

The largest I've personally used is 64x64 for overworlds, but most don't need to be that big, and can be 32x32. So the dimensions you can use are: 16x16, 32x32, 64x64, and any mixtures of the numbers (like 16x32, etc...). HOWEVER, in Fire Red there is an ingame OW (the ship, #153 I believe) that is 64x128. So I guess you can make them up to 128x128...but that's HUGE.

redriders180

Years

I think, conventionally, 64x64 is the max for OWs also. However there's one sprite in both RSE and FRLG that is 64x128, but I don't know how that works. It might be something internally done, with ASM and tilemaps, but I dont know for sure

ADLFM14

Legendary Spriter
Years
hello every one i have a small problem which is i want to edit the battle background for pokemon ruby i searched a lot and a lot but i didn't find any helpful tutorial or even any tutorial to hack it please may any one help me.i want to change this:
mapoe.png

to something like this:
labelforest.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back