Off-Topic Hang out with people and discuss whatever's on your mind!

Ad Content

#26   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 1 Day Ago (2:13 AM).
s t o r m b o r n

Nature: Naive
I was raised a lutheran protestant (Christian) and everybody around me was too since it was the state church and we took it for granted. The church/chapels in our village hosted many of the activities kids could get up to after school, and nobody ever questioned it. My mum always talked about God being everywhere in everything and about the Christian values, how we need to do towards others the good things we want them to do to us. And other nice things the fundamental lutheranism stands for.

I was of course baptized as a baby, and went through confirmation in my middle teens - during which I got a reaffirmes connection with God and my spirituality. I really enjoyed the open, friendly, accepting nature of the Swedish State Church and affiliated organizations, such as the Swedish YMCA branch. The ideals they pursue are ones I will likely always agree with. They don't even look down on people who don't share their beliefs; all priests I've ever met here have been willing to discuss and listen to cynicals.

Despite all this, and my warm feelings for the organization and its people, I have several years ago now rejected the religious grounds. I don't believe that there is a God in the sense Christianity (or any other world-size religion) claims, nor that Jesus was anything more than a charismatic man, leader perhaps even.

But the more I learn about science and the world - and about people - the louder something tells me that we definitely have to have been designed in some way. To me, the idea that this whole world and our lives have just happened due to millions of years of happy accidents is just not plausible.

I have no idea what this classifies me as, haha, maybe not a straight up atheist, but I also don't want to say I think it is likely that the Christians are correct in any meaningful sense. I'm just summarizing it into "there is something up there" :)

moderator of Roleplay Theatre
~ paired to s e e k e r ~
  #27   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 7 Hours Ago (10:36 PM).
Arid trainer

Nature: Hardy
My religion is Islam. Of course, I believe in god and strive to adhere to the guidance in the book.
  #28   Link to this post, but load the entire thread.  
Old 7 Hours Ago (10:45 PM).
s t o r m b o r n

Nature: Naive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyzadren View Post
My religion is Islam. Of course, I believe in god and strive to adhere to the guidance in the book.
Have you ever questioned it, or always believed it 100%?

moderator of Roleplay Theatre
~ paired to s e e k e r ~

Quick Reply