• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I want to get into the TCG, but I need some help

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 1, 2017
I've played yugioh for a while and now I want to get into Pok?mon, but I've got no idea where to start. From what I've seen, there aren't structure decks in Pok?mon like there is in yugioh, where you can go out and buy a structure deck and have a ready to play deck. Any tips on how to go about deck building, what the rules to it are, and any good beginner decks would be much appreciated! :)

Years
I've played yugioh for a while and now I want to get into Pok?mon, but I've got no idea where to start. From what I've seen, there aren't structure decks in Pok?mon like there is in yugioh, where you can go out and buy a structure deck and have a ready to play deck. Any tips on how to go about deck building, what the rules to it are, and any good beginner decks would be much appreciated! :)

Structure decks exist, they're just not built to a level where you can join a random league and expect to be winning matches. Every set has one or two.

A good place to start with they physical cards is to get the latest Trainer Kit and have that teach you how to play, and then jump onto the TCGO and play online first.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
You will need a stack of energy cards for sure. Thankfully the market is flooded with them so going to any gaming store you can probably buy them for 5 to 10 cents each. Before long you will probably have more than you know what to do with though so I don't recommend buying more than 10 of each. The new Sun and Moon ones are way prettier than the old design but any will do. Even ones from base set are fine.

I agree that Trainer Kits and Online are the best jumping off points for learning the game. Online will give you a free theme deck exclusive to online that you can play theme deck versus battles and earn coins so you can buy packs. Every sealed product comes with a code for online to build that collection up as well.

If you want something a bit more advanced out the box, the arena decks are pretty cool. Two full 60 card decks made for battling each other, which is perfect if you have a friend. Idk what all is on the market but the Keldeo one has some very useful cards for expanded, including the powerful Keldeo EX.

Back