• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[OU] Hey, is Charizard/Tyranitar still a thing?

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
This team, I've been using for quite a while after discovering how destructive Charizard/Tyranitar teams can be, in that they can cover for each other's checks and possibly support other members of the team. I'm in the process of breeding this same team on the cart, and as of now, I only have one more mon left to breed. Here's the team in full, with descriptions.

Flying Dirt (Landorus-Therian) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Smack Down
- Stealth Rock

Get used to these funny nicknames, peeps. To start off with, we've got the king of OU himself, Lando-T. There's no real reason to explain this one - it's a classic offensive set with Supersonic Skystrike while doubling as my main Z-move user. Adamant was chosen to maximise its damage output, and with that an offensive set with Flyinium Z was chosen to allow it to have a crack at opposing Grass-types that otherwise wall it, such as Tangrowth, as well as Flying-types. The rest of the moveset was chosen to otherwise provide offensive pressure further backed by Smack Down allowing it to hit even flying or levitating targets. Last but not least, Stealth Rock is an absolute must on every team and it can otherwise turn 2HKOs into OHKOs or in some cases turn the tide of battles, which can be really helpful against breaking down walls.

Overrated AF (Charizard-Mega-Y) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower (or Fire Blast?)
- Solar Beam
- Earthquake (or Focus Blast?)
- Roost

One of the first main men of the team, it's Charizard Y! The OU tier has been shifting a lot thanks to new megas getting released and other Pokemon being banned, and with this, Charizard Y seems to be one of the best megas to use around here. Now let's be honest here, I'm still debating whether to run Fire Blast over Flamethrower, because while 110 power is too good to pass up and can turn 2HKOs into OHKOs, it's backed by a rather shaky 85% accuracy. The first two moves take advantage of Drought, but Earthquake seems to be a weird choice. I know Focus Blast exists, but EQ allows Heatran to be hit more reliably without dealing with shaky accuracy drops, but it misses out on the OHKO if it's at full health, and makes dealing with Tyranitar harder. Finally, Roost is to increase its longevity.

Rockzilla (Tyranitar) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

The other main man of the team, say hello to Tyranitar! This one's able to deal with Pokemon that Charizard Y can't handle on its own, such as Chansey and Latios. Even though it's known to be slow, full EVs in Attack and Speed along with an Adamant nature give it as much wallbreaking potential as it needs. Stone Edge and Crunch are obviously there for STAB, and when backed with a Choice Band, you've got a fearsome wallbreaker, but at the cost of getting locked into a move. Pursuit allows Tyranitar to not only kill off Latios, but pick its matchups carefully, and otherwise trap walls. Last but not least, Superpower is there for Chansey which, as mentioned before, completely walls Charizard Y. Even with full defense investment Superpower still packs a ton of damage, and even an OHKO if Stealth Rock damage is taken because the sand will kill it off:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 584-688 (82.9 - 97.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

At first, clicking Superpower is risky because the opponent can switch and it can reveal some details about Tyranitar, but they'll likely stay in and attempt to wear it down with Toxic, making Superpower the best move to choose because it's often unexpected.

ThisIsNotADrill (Excadrill) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

And speaking of sand, here's the resident sand abuser himself, and my wincon. Combine Excadrill with Sand Rush, a Life Orb, full investment in Attack and Speed, and sand up, you've got a near unstoppable threat that hits like a truck and outspeeds nearly everything except fast scarfers - it's no surprise that this thing was banned back in fifth gen. The main drive here is its speed, hence a Jolly nature was picked over Adamant, and its aim is to severely weaken or otherwise pick off a weakened team, hence it's a powerful wincon boasting a range of moves for different targets. Rapid Spin is mandatory here because it helps keeps rocks off my side of the field, allowing Charizard Y full wallbreaking potential as well as supporting the rest of the team, making switches safer.

Car Wash (Tangrowth) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power Ice
- Earthquake

When building the team I realised I lack a resist to Water-types such as Greninja and Keldeo, hence Tangrowth was chosen. Its physical bulk is pretty high enough and considering the major Water threats are special-based, a specially defensive set with AV was chosen while also helping shrug off other specially-based threats such as Tapu Lele. Sassy was picked over other alternatives such as Calm because Tangrowth is attacking on both physical and special fronts, and it's pretty slow anyway, while its main drive here is to tank as many hits and stay alive for as much as possible, hence the combination of Giga Drain and Regenerator. Knock Off not only removes items to cripple certain sets like Leftovers and Life Orb, but it can scout for a potential mega or Z-move, thus revealing quite a fair chunk about what to expect. HP Ice is for stuff like Lando-T and Zygarde which otherwise threaten to set up on Tangrowth, and Earthquake is for Fire-types such as Heatran and Steel-types like Magearna, while also functioning as a decent coverage move. For the latter it is especially useful because it gets around Assault Vest builds by exploiting the Defense stat.

Top Kek (Tapu Koko) @ Magnet
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn
- Hidden Power Ice
- Taunt

Otherwise known as the "Greninja killer", Tapu Koko struggles to break fat Pokemon, but it can still punch holes in more frail teams, as well as kill Vincune before it's got a Calm Mind up. Its main drive here is its speed, enabling it to Speed tie with Crobat and outspeed the omnipresent Greninja, provided it hasn't transformed into Ash-Greninja or isn't using Water Shuriken. However, it isn't here to purely kill stuff, it functions as a pivot that can switch in and out safely while at the same time still punch holes. Of course, HP Ice is a must on any specially-based Electric mon, being able to hit the likes of Lando-T and Zygarde (have I said these two before?) super effectively. Taunt seems like an odd choice, but it helps cripple set-up mons like Ferrothorn which would otherwise put a damper in Koko's damage output, or threaten to kill it, thus exploiting the opponent's tendency to switch by U-turning out. Finally, Thunderbolt can be pretty easily explained, under Electric Terrain it hits like a truck.

That's pretty much it. From the looks of things, Mega Lopunny seems to be a threat, and when Ash-Greninja transforms it can pummel through most of my team. I've been getting suggestions thrown at me left and right when I've asked for the team to be rated on Showdown, with the likes of using defensive Lando and swapping Excadrill for Groundium Z Dugtrio, but while Dugtrio synergises well with Charizard Y, this will require having to heavily change my team makeup considering Lando is my only Z-move user in the team. What do you guys think of this team, and should any changes be done to it?

Back