• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Monotype Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
Years
Forum User Name: KNS27
Game(s):Platinum
Pokémon Type: Fighting
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single for this time

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I started up my White monotype run yesterday. When I was mapping out the locations of my team members, I was sad to realize that Landorus is only available in post-game. I guess I'm gonna have an HM buddy throughout this run, since there are only five other fully-evolved Ground-types. My naming scheme for this run will be Super Mario characters/enemies.

Part 1
Spoiler:

Current Team:
drilbur.gif
tympole.gif
sandile.gif

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I played a lot these past 2 or 3 days, and I've already finished White.

Part 2
Spoiler:

Final Team:
excadrill.gif
krookodile.gif
seismitoad.gif
golurk.gif
stunfisk.gif

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I had a day off work today, and I've been playing Pokemon while my wife plays Sims 4 the past few days. So I've been able to blaze through Pokemon X. I'll give you guys & gals a quick summary.

One & Done:
Spoiler:

Final Team:
krookodile.gif
diggersby.gif
steelix.gif
rhyperior-f.gif
golurk.gif
wormadam-sandy.gif

Last edited:

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
Years
My Pokemon Black Grass monotype is on hold as 1. I want to mark my return to the forums with something new, and 2. it has been about 4-5 months since I last played Black? I probably have forgotten what I was doing :P

In its place I plan a Soul Silver Fire Monotype(Yes, I'm putting myself through this)

Forum User Name: SilverLeafeon75
Game(s): Soul Silver
Pokémon Type: Fire
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: Single

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Right, two monos, many updates. Ready GOGOGO.

Pearl Steeeeeeeel Mono UPDATE 3
Badges: 5/8

Things that happened:
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

DeciduICE Sun - 7/11 Objectives
Spoiler:

Team:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
So, on to the Moon!

Spoiler:

Current Team:
diglett-alola.gif

Last edited:

Grimms_Edge

Soul Collector
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2017
Forum User Name: Grimms_Edge
Game(s): Leaf Green, Heart Gold, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black 2, X, Sun
Pokémon Type: Ghost
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode? Ultimate

Im so ready for monotypes. Ive been practising so im ready to make things offical

Going to start with Platinum because i havent played that game in 5 ever. Shame I cant use my favourite pokemon on the Team QQ

Also am I allowed to hack in starter in Plat at lvl 5 or do i have to use the drifloon obtainable at valley windworks on friday?

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
Part 2:
Spoiler:

Current Team:
dugtrio-alola.gif
mudbray.gif
barboach.gif

Years
  • Seen Jan 12, 2021
I finished up Moon tonight, so with that, I've completed my Ultimate Monotype Challenge for the Ground type. I've wanted to do this for years, but I never had the patience. I'm so happy I finally finished. Since back in the RBY days, I've wanted to be a gym leader. Now I really feel like one.

Alola Ending:
Spoiler:

Final Team:
dugtrio-alola.gif
mudsdale.gif
krookodile.gif
garchomp-f.gif
whiscash.gif
palossand.gif

Last edited:

SilverLeafeon75

Years
Pokemon Soul Silver Fire Monotype PT 1 A New Beginning

I started the game, and went through the beginning guff. I named myself Silver due to me being lazy, and went to Elm's Lab. Apparently one of his colleagues has a "discovery" and the lab is too busy to fetch it themselves, so looks like I will have to do the job. I pick Cyndaquil, and name him Metallica, after their song Fuel for Fire. Then I went on my journey.

As I went up to Mr. Pokemon's house, I grinded up Metallica in the grass to level 7, learning smokescreen along the way. I also got the Apricorn box, and collected all of the Apricorns on the side of the path, because who can complain abut FREE Pokeballs! Upon my arrival, Mr. Pokemon handed me a "Mystery Egg" to take back to Elm, and what do you know, renowned Pokemon professor Samuel Oak himself was there, and gave me a Pokedex for my efforts. What a nice guy.

As you would guess, it was not all Rainbows and Unicorns, as the redhead who was peering into the lab stole one of Elm's prized Pokemon. What an absolute jerk. Around this time I found out my Cyndaquil has a timid nature..... UGH! Could be worse, could of decreased my special attack instead, and at least the speed boost is nice.

Then, just in a twist of fate, I found the aforementioned redhead, and engaged him in a battle. Usually this would be easy right? Just spam Tackle.... But due to my decreased attack, a miss, and a critical hit, Metallica was almost taken out in his first trainer battle! Turns out my extra training paid off in the end after all. I returned back to Prof. Elm, and handed over the egg, while I named my rival Mikal. Now I am set to take on the world! After I talk to my mom about money.......

(Also I decided to do SS instead of HG due to me having played HG a lot more than SS, being my first game and all.)

Last edited:

SilverLeafeon75

Years
Pokemon Soul Silver Fire Monotype PT 2 Violet Blues

Now with my journey underway, I can make my way over to Violet city, where I will pick up the next member of my party. Once again the timid nature bites me in the derriere, as the first two trainers on the route, who usually are no big deal, brought Metallica down to 3 HP(though he did grow to level 9.) So off to the Pokemon Center I went to heal my injured Fire Type and regather my strength, and at this point I realized what I'm getting myself into.

Back out on the town I crushed the hopes and dreams of a bug catcher, found a potion on the ground to make up for the one used in the rival battle, collected some more apricorns, took out anther bug catcher, and in the process learned Ember, finally giving Metallica a decent attacking move! As I moved toward Violet city, youngster Joey called me to brag about his Rattata, and I bumped into Lyra again, and saved my game. Now onward to Violet!

Once I reached Violet City, The first matter of business is to talk to Primo to get my second party member. After answering a few simple questions, I received an egg, and started the arduous journey of running around aimlessly to hatch it, so why not explore the town a bit. Unfortunately, there was little to note, except for a teacher who is obsessed with spinning, and a crazy Shard De Berry guy.

After about an hour of aimlessly wandering around, the Slugma egg finally hatched, and I named him Nickelback to continue my Rock/Metal band naming scheme, and checked his stats. Lax nature ain't too bad, trading some special defense for better defense, with the ability Magma Armor(would have much rather had flame body, but what ya gonna do.) I know Slugma is not the best Pokemon, but I'm using it due to the fact it means I don't have to solo with Metallica until Goldenrod, and I get a second free fire type early. Now its time to burn my way through the sprout tower(quite literally) and train Nickelback.

Last edited:
Years
I might as well tell my tale.

I decided to attempt a Gen VI Fighting monotype run of Pokemon X. Here's a few reason.

- Fighting is actually hard to monotype. There is not a big pool of pokemon fighting type. There a 5 type on which fighting moves are weak. For that reason, I have never been a taker of Fighting pokemons in normal runs
- There are 2 gyms in Kalos which are strong against fighting: Psychic & Fairy
- Kalos has almost all good Fighting pokemons, I choose Y especially for Heracross.
- The first fighting pokemon can be capture before the first gym in Santalune City: Riolu
- 3 mega pokemon are available: Mega Lucario, Mega Heracross, Mega Medicham.

So let the story begin:
Spoiler:

My current team is:

Rioluz (Riolu) Lvl. 15
- Foresight / Quick Attack / Counter / Force Palm

Riolux (Riolu) Lvl. 13
- Foresight / Quick Attack / Counter / Feint

Rioluc (Riolu) Lvl. 12

Riolun (Riolu) Lvl. 12

Riolum (Riolu) Lvl. 11

Raltz (Ralts) Lvl. 8
- Growl / Confusion / Double Team

Years
Pokemon Y Fighting Monotype Run

And The story continue from route 4:

Spoiler:

This is the point of the game I currently am as I write this post. My team is:

Rioluz (Lucario) Lvl. 30
- Copycat / Quick Attack / Force Palm / Bone Rush

Kirlia (Kirlia) Lvl. 22
- Magical Leaf / Confusion / Double Team / Teleport

Machopx (Machopx) Lvl. 24
- Strength / Foresight / Karate Chop / Low Sweep

Croagunk (Croagunk) Lvl. 23
- Revenge / Feint Attack / Thief / Taunt

Medititz (Meditite) Lvl. 23
- Bide / Meditate / Confusion / Hidden Power

Panchamc (Pancham) Lvl. 27
- Vital Throw / Karate Chop / Slash / Circle Throw

Grimms_Edge

Soul Collector
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2017
Pokemon Ghost Ultimate Monotype Challenge
Badges: 2/8
Team: Duff (Drifblim)
Ability: Unburden
Modest Nature
- Astonish
- Gust
- Stockpile
- Minimize

Violet (Gastly)
Ability: Levitate
Modest Nature
- Night Shade
- Lick
- Curse
- Mean Look

Lukey (Rotom-Wash)
Hardy Nature
- Thunder Shock
- Hydro Pump
- Uproar
- Double Team

Story: After picking up my starter a little Chimcar named Goku. We set off on our adventure and learnt about where to get healing and where to buy stuff.
We moved on all the way to oreburgh after some story trash then as i arrived in oreburgh i entered the mine and grabbed Roark and made my way back to the gym and literally swept roark out of way with mach punch. Anyway coming back to Jubilife City destroyed the Team Galatic grunts harrassing Prof.
Rowan and Dawn. After a swift defeat at the hands of Goku, I finally made it to Valley Windworks where i could pick up my first team mate a drifloon which I nicked named Duff in memorium of the Duff Blimp.
After a little bit of grinding I busted into the Windworks with the key that a grunt dropped. The Grunts where nothign but Mars Caused a bit of problem but in the end I triumphed over Mars which allowed me to move on through Eterna Forest on the way to Eterna city. After meeting up with Cheryl at the entrance we made our way through we passed the Old Chataeu and ended up at the exit. After that whole shibang I left to Eterna City and faced Gardenia which in similar fashion to Mars was swept aside by Duffs powerful gust. At the end of the battle Duff evolved into a Drifblim and became even more powerful. After that whole fiasco I ran back to the Old Chataeu to grab my next two team members. A Female Gastly named Violet and a Rotom named Lukey. Now im in The Galatic Base in Eterna City ready to face Jupiter.

Last edited:

Grimms_Edge

Soul Collector
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Nov 1, 2017
Pokemon Ultimate Monotype Challenge
Badges 8/8
Elite Four: Beaten
National Dex: Obtained
Mount Stark: Defeated
Elite Four Reamtch: Beaten
Team:
Duff (Drifblim) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Level: 76
- Shadow Ball
- Fly
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

Violet (Gengar) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Cursed Body
Level: 75
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Psychic

Lukey (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Level: 78
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump
- Shadow Ball
- Double Team

Faded (Froslass) @ Never-Melt Ice
Ability: Snow Cloak
Level: 79
- Shadow Ball
- Ice Beam
- Water Pulse
- Destiny Bond

Mage (Mismagius) (F) @ Spooky Plate
Level: 75
Serious Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Psybeam
- Magical Leaf
- Dark Pulse

Reapette (Dusknoir) (F) @ Spell Tag
Ability: Pressure
Level: 76
- Shadow Punch
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Last edited:
Years
Username: LRachelR5
Type: Psychic
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate
Games: Red, Soul Silver, Omega Ruby, Platinum, White 2, Y, Moon

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 16, 2021
Well I think I have a problem because instead of finishing my yellow rock part of the ultimate monotype I decided instead to do this;
Forum User Name: xemnahort
Game(s): red, gold, omega ruby, platinum, white 2, x, moon
Pok?mon Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: ultimate

and this;
Forum User Name: xemnahort
Game(s): blue, silver, alpha saphire, platinum, white 2, y, sun
Pok?mon Type: poison
Single/Ultimate/Free Mode?: ultimate

yup I decided to spread myself even further than before so yeah here's the current teams;
Red Flying team
Scirocco the charmeleon lvl 16
Zerelda the zubat lvl 9
Indra the magikarp lvl 9
and the temporary team mate Aureole the butterfree lvl 14
currently in traveling through mt moon

Blue Poison team
Oleander the Ivysaur lvl 26
Lilith the nidoqueen lvl 28
Raven the golbat lvl 27
plus a drowzee and a sandshrew for flash and cut repectively
currently traveling to rock tunnel after beating third gym

Rock is right where I left it

Also kudos if you can figure out why I'm naming them what I am.

Last edited:

TheCrystalFlaaffy

Youtube Content Creator
Years
Now to once again claim my championship with the Ice-type! Finished Moon in my ultimate run, took me longer than it should have because I took a long break sometime after beating Kiawe and didn't touch my ds for months. Also sucked that I couldn't get half of my team until just before the Elite Four... All these Ice-types available in the game but only 3 are catchable before getting to that damn mountain and since I caught the three of them at high levels I missed out on so many moves and had to hunt down heart scales for them. But anyway on to the update :]

Challenge:
Spoiler:
Team
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
Username: curelixir
Type: Flying
Single/Ultimate: Ultimate
Games: FireRed, HeartGold, Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, White, Y, Moon

FINISHED