• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your purpose in life?

Years
Read what the title says, and ponder all possible meanings and then devise your answer to the most probable and logical one, considering the phrasing and wording all the while and not getting confused or depressed.

This could be a matter for the old Deep Discussion, in which case I apologise in several different languages.

pkmin3033

I don't really have a purpose in life, and maybe that's not such a bad thing. There are things I want to do, but I wouldn't call them a "purpose" as such, beyond an immediate justification for my actions...so maybe I have many purposes in life, which are determined by what I am trying to do at any given moment. But that's not how I'd interpret the question, so it's a moot point.

If I HAD a purpose in life, I would likely spend my entire life worrying about fulfilling it to the best of my ability, and I would probably die convinced that I had failed it...or I'd give up early as I would see it as impossible to fulfil, and consider my entire life a failure.

Whilst I will probably still die with a lot of regrets, and currently consider my life a failure generally, my choices are still mine to make, and the freedom to do whatever I wish to rather than adhere to a single specific purpose is still a good thing.

Maybe the purpose is to not have a purpose.

Years
It's standard goody-goody-two-shoes stuff. Spread the happiness and all the fortune I've known, really. I've made a promise on that front, and I intend to keep it. I'm also going to campaign for equal rights on every front and make sure that plenty of children get the opportunities I never had and the ones that I did have. I'm going to be bringing a lot of joy into this world, for sure, and be the best person I can be. Anything less isn't sustaining.

The happiness I receive is dependant on the happiness I deliver, so I'm basically forced to be brilliant to everyone I meet.

Years
If I pave my own road to get from point A to point B, I can at least feel satisfied that each and every decision I make on the way there is completely of my own volition.

If I travel down a road someone paved for me, who's to say whether or not the decisions I make would be the one I should make? What would count as deriving from this path that I'm predestined towards, and what would really count as being set on this path?

The latter is definitely worrying for sure.

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
To survive, and that's pretty much it. That's an animal's top priority, staying alive. No spiritual mumbo-jumbo here. Just keeping myself alive as best as I can.

Years
i dont have a purpose in life, im a glitch in the system

Nobody has a purpose in life but the one they choose for themselves.
Personally, I don't think I've decided on one right now since the options I'd generally take are currently out of my reach.

malanaphii

i'm about to monologue, son
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Feb 17, 2023
honestly i think it's to teach and help others. nothing i've really done had clicked as well as teaching, whether it's when i'm volunteering in a reception/year one class or helping with my computing teacher's year sevens. i think just generally helping kids grow and flourish is a really big thing for me, and knowing even the tiniest things have such an impact makes me feel like i actually have a place or a use in the world.

one situation in volunteering that sorta Solidified this wasn't even with me actually teaching something really - i saw a reception getting angry and clicking the mouse on a computer trying to get something to open. i pointed out the loading symbol and told him that means it's loading, so not to click anymore and just to wait. just a really simple thing that i didn't really think much of, until months later when another child was doing the same thing, and that same kid i told months before went to him and told him "no! that circle there means its loading, so you just have to wait!"

just seeing how that alone made an impact made me think about how much of an impact actually teaching makes.

Last edited:
Years
I don't know, I didn't really ask or plan on being born.
And especially not to have my life be how it was/is
I find it hard to find purpose.

Back