• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why Froslass Doesn't Suck

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8M-mT9_tkLNNl9MQnhLLTBGb2M/view?usp=sharing

That is a base for the Froslass segment, just so yall can comment on the formatting and content and stuffs. If it looks like I went ahead and made a draft before this idea got formally approved, it's because I did really just so I can receive input on anything else people might want to see or whatever.

and thanks for that list Wolf. As I implied at the bottom of that draft-like object, I'll probably do Quagsire next if this gets approved because I have used it a ton and it does stuff.

Name was also changed to "Why [Pokemon] Doesn't Suck, etc." Thread title will be changed to reflect this.

Oh, and do you think we could get a link to the Daily put in the top bar of the forum? Possibly replace the chatroom no one uses? I dunno.

Last edited by a moderator:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
UPDATE: Made the edits from a few posts down AGAIN

Why Froslass Doesn't Suck [Smogon OU]

Welcome to the first edition of "Pokémon That Don't Suck", where I shall explain how you can use an underused - yet cool – Pokémon in a competitive setting, and when and where not to use them.

Today I shall rant about a Pokémon introduced in the 4th generation as an additional evolution for female Snorunt, bearing the unique typing of Ice and Ghost. It is said to be a reincarnation of a woman lost in an icy mountain, and its body is actually hollow. Ewwwww. I am, of course, referencing Froslass. I will now proceed to explain where, when, why, and how to use it in Smogon's OU tier while making as few terrible Frozen puns as possible. Bundle up and hang onto your hats, because winter is coming. Onward!

Obligatory Term/Abbreviation Dump
For those new to the scene, here are a couple terms and abbreviations I throw around in this post
4MSS - 4 Move Slot Syndrome - wanting/needing to run more than the allowed 4 moves
SpAtk/SpDef - Special Attack/Defense
OU, UU, RU - Smogon's Tiers of Overused, Underused, and Rarely Used respectively. These are a set of rules that most people play by outside of official tournaments that group all Pokémon into strength tiers. These are all played in Singles, rather than Doubles like official tournaments. Info about OU can be found here.
M-[Pokémon] - Mega [Pokémon]

The Subject

tumblr_mxyqpzBG4s1snwqgwo1_400.gif

If I didn't know better, I would say it's petting the tree.
Source: The Pokémon Company (Anime episode DP116 "The Drifting Snorunt!")

#478 Froslass
Species: Snow Land
Type: Ghost, Ice
Abilities: Snow Cloak, Cursed Body (Hidden)
Weaknesses: Ghost, Dark, Steel, Rock, Fire
Evolves from: Snorunt (Dawn Stone, Female Only)
Height: 1.3 m
Weight: 26.6 kg
Tier: UU (Banned from RU)
January OU Usage: 0.594% (174th)

Base Stats (range @ Lv100)
HP: 70 (250-344)
Attack: 80 (148-284)
Defense: 70 (130-262)
SpAtk: 80 (148-284)
Speed: 110 (202-350)
Total: 480

Froslass has a wonderful base 110 Speed to its name, but its other stats are a bit below average. It has weaknesses to the annoyingly common Fire and Steel types. Its abilities are unimpressive, with Cursed Body having a 30% chance of disabling any enemy attack that hits Froslass, and Snow Cloak raising its Evasion in Hail. However, its access to high quality utility moves such as Spikes and Taunt make it an ideal suicide lead, often being able to set up a layer or two of Spikes while still trading on the opposing lead with either Destiny Bond or Ice Beam. Froslass can also lay claim to a great Special movepool, with access to the mighty BoltBeam combo (Thunderbolt and Ice Beam, which have perfect neutral coverage together), Shadow Ball, Psychic, and the like. However its Physical movepool consists of... Ice Shard, Avalanche, and Wake-Up Slap, I guess? Not much. It lacks any form of stat boosting though, so it is not recommended.

froslass.gif

The Set

SPIKES OF DESTINY!!!!!
Froslass @ Focus Sash
Ability: Cursed Body/Snow Cloak
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (Speed>Attack)
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Destiny Bond
- Ice Beam/Icy Wind/Thunderbolt

This is the default Froslass set, and it works like no other Pokémon in OU can claim to do.

Spikes are what Froslass ends up providing to the team, by damaging anything that switches in until they are cleared. Taunt annoys most common hazard setters by preventing them from setting hazards (or using any other Status moves for that matter), and prevents Defoggers from removing your Spikes.

Destiny Bond rewards correctly prophesizing your demise by taking the enemy down if Froslass is KOed when Destiny Bond is the last move you used. Running Focus Sash makes this easier by allowing you to survive a killing blow from full health, which usually results in opponents going for the kill the next turn.

Your 4th moveslot is largely situational. Ice Beam hits the hardest, and gets the OHKO on defensive Garchomp and Landorus-T. Icy Wind provides great utility with its 100% chance to slow, and has a 98.3% chance of OHKOing uninvested Landorus-T, but loses the ability to one-hit Garchomp. Thunderbolt is a coverage move to be used only if the rest of your team is specifically weak to a Pokémon. In this case it allows for Froslass to 2HKO the omnipresent Skarmory and Talonflame, because the cold never bothered them anyway.

Timid nature is used because the speed boost allows for tying with other +Speed base 110s like Timid Latios and Latias, as well as Jolly M-Metagross and M-Gallade, and outspeeding neutral natured base 125s (or lower) like Adamant Weavile or Modest Raikou and Serperior while only losing points in an unused Attack stat given Froslass' non-existent Physical movepool. The EVs are placed where they are to allow for said speed checks and maximize the damage of the attacking move of your choice, as it is just not bulky enough to take a hit and its physical movepool is still lacking. Note that it does not outspeed most forms of Talonflame, even if it tries to Flare Blitz you. Cursed Body is the preferred ability because disabling things is fun, however it does screw up predicting Destiny Bond sometimes, so go with Snow Cloak if you are worried about that (or are running a Hail team, which is another story).

Other options include a bulkier Pain Split set, but 70/70/70 defenses are not ideal for any bulky set. It is also in theory the best Specially Attacking Ice type, so a set with Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, and Destiny Bond doesn't sound like the worst idea until you consider its low 80 base SpAtk stat, which is lower than Stunfisk and Prinplup (really bad).

froslass.gif

To Use or Not to Use…

Pros:
· Base 110 Speed is better than most other leads, like Landorus-T's base 91 speed, Excadrill's base 88, and Garchomp's base 102
· Checks many Stealth Rockers i.e. Garchomp and Landorus-T
· Latios and Latias don't enjoy switching into Froslass, despite them being perfectly good switch-ins for leads other than Scarf Landorus-T
· Destiny Bond gives it more trading potential than other leads. Froslass will often give you the advantage in a matchup by taking out one enemy Pokémon while still getting Spikes out
· Very good at protecting its Spikes, as its Ghost typing prevents Rapid Spin from working and Taunt blocking the use of Defog
· Its Spikes can be stacked with Stealth Rocks from a teammate (sure, this applies to all Spikes users, but you cannot stack Rocks with more Rocks)
· Much less likely to be setup bait then other Hazard setters, as Taunt blocks most forms of setup (except possibly Hawlucha Unburden trigger, but Ice Beam OHKOes him anyway)

Cons:
· It does not get Stealth Rocks, and Spikes just is not as strong
· Is an Ice type, and has a metric ton (5) of weaknesses
· Suffers from pretty heavy 4MSS
· Does not get Prankster
· Gets completely screwed over by Pursuit trappers like Bisharp, Weavile, and Tyranitar. Tyranitar also has Sand Stream, which allows for bypassing Focus Sash
· Heavily prediction-based
· Defog and Rapid Spin can be used to remove Spikes as soon as Froslass goes down (which it will)
· Utterly useless in most roles other than a suicide lead (no bulk and no stat boosting moves)
· Anything that outspeeds, including Choice Scarf users like Excadrill, prevent Destiny Bond revenge-kills and hugely inhibit Froslass' potential, as you cannot take one hit and then Destiny Bond
· Magic Bounce users like Mega Sableye and Mega Diancie render Froslass helpless
· Priority attacks that can hit Ghost types (Bullet Punch, Flying type attacks with Gale Wings, anything used by Mega Lopunny) have the same effect as being outsped in that you cannot easily Destiny Bond them

Points of Comparison
Here, I'll throw out some common Pokémon that are hypothetically better at doing some of the things Froslass does.

· Hazard Setters: Excadrill, Landorus-T, Hippowdon, Garchomp, Tyranitar, heck, even Klefki. The list goes on and on. The first five mentioned get the far superior Stealth Rocks, and Klefki has this nice ability called Prankster, which gives your opponents hell by turning every non-damaging move into Quick Attack.
· Spinblockers: Gengar and M-Sabelye. Ewwww. Both of these will be mentioned again below, don't you worry about it.
· Destiny Bonders: Gengar or Gardevoir (but don't run D-Bond on Gard please). This one is a utility (Froslass) vs damage (Gengar) issue.
· Hazard Prevention: Mega Sableye. Magic Bounce exists. I suppose I could throw the other Magic Bounce users (M-Diancie, M-Absol, or Espeon/Xatu if you want to pretend it's gen 5) in here too, but what gives?
· Taunters: Thundurus has Prankster should he choose to accept it, but does not have the rest of Froslass' utility.

I generally use Froslass on teams that need hazard setup and are noticeably weak to Stealth Rocks, especially if I already have Rocks on the team, as Froslass checks many common Stealth Rock users. The other situation where I use Froslass is when my team truly cannot afford to be down a Pokémon after the setup turns.

froslass.gif

TL;DR: If you need a combination of the ability to set hazards, get trades, and control enemy hazards and boosting all in one nice package, Froslass is for you. If you just need one of those things however, it is probably better to just let it go.

froslass.gif

So that's it for this segment of "Pokémon That Don't Suck." Check back later for more shenanigans and a Pokémon that literally could not care less about anyone or anything. Or maybe it's just Unaware of what goes on around it. Until then, discussion in the comments below is accepted, encouraged, and requested. Direct questions or suggestions for this column as a whole, including suggesting new Pokémon to rant about, to the discussion thread for this column. Until next time, you stay classy PokéCommunity.

I assure you, no Frozen puns will be made in the next article.

Notes and Citations:
Cover Image: [TBD]
Froslass Sprite: http://www.pkparaiso.com/, The Pokémon Company

Changelog:
Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Good start so far, imo.

Couple remarks/points that come to mind before you do finish off the draft (also please post when done even if it's a double post so we notice that it's ready for editing!):
Looks like a large quantity of spaces got removed when I copied this from Word, so I'll fix those at a later date.
Ah, bugger. That can happen at times with Word or other documents I'm afraid.
First priority id deciding weather to keep the weird move colors or not. I'll try to find a slightly less abusive yellow for Electric moves.
Note that the background colour would be white for articles, so colour choice should suit. (Sadly using a dark forum skin myself some colours make it hard to read, haha). We'll see how it looks when the article ends up being published.

I would suggest splitting into more paragraphs for added readability for the parts explaining the suggested set. I've always found on other sites that longer paragraphs explaining multiple points of reasoning for battle sets harder to read.
IN WHICH I, ddrox13, will tell the world how useful thosesilly F-Tier Pokemon can be competitively when properly abused. Welcome to "Why[Pokémon] Doesn't Suck, etc." Each segment, I will use my skills to tell you whenand how to and not to use a cool Pokémon that isn't all that used. Ok, enoughintro. Content time!
I'll welcome discussion and debate from other Daily staff folks on how the intro should be written, but it could be more formal than this. For example, "Welcome to the first edition of "Why Pokémon Doesn't Suck", where we explain how you can use an underused - yet cool - Pokémon." is a starting point, and I'd suggest against "Ok enough intro. Content time!"

We also need to consider if we want the article to be written as a 'we' (Daily = we) or you specifically throughout. As you're the sole writer here I'd say the latter (e.g. "I feel, I present", etc), but I'm less sure about starting with "In which I, [username]...". In part I say this because at the top of the article will be a fancy title + mini-avatar stating you are the author already - and on the article previews on the main page as well, so repeating your username is unnecessary at best.

And on that note: so we can credit you as an author in the same style as the other articles, let us know your email address and desired username (can't be changed) and nickname (how you'll be credited as). Can be in PM if you'd rather email be private!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Edited le draft. Elected to use I as the personal pronoun of choice, split some paragraphs, etc.

I would prefer to be credited as ddrox13 with the username ddrox13 and the email of [email protected]
I know, I'm original. Wait until I upload my new avatar to PC first (probably tomorrow) so you can use that image. It won't have Glaceon on it. Fixing it up tomorrow and it will be ready then. #NoSchool

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Spikes are what Froslass ends up providing to the team, by damaging anything that switches in until they are cleared.Taunt annoys most common hazard setters by preventing them from setting hazards (or using any other Status moves for that matter), and prevents Defoggers from removing your Spikes.
Missed a space between the two sentences here.

Also, not quite sure if you want to say "annoys most common hazard setters by preventing them from setting hazards" like that. Obviously hazard setters are prevented from setting hazards.

The EVs are placed where they are because they are the only stats Froslass ever uses.Cursed Body is the preferred ability because disabling things is fun*,
Another spacing between sentences issue.

·Spinblockers:Gengar and M-Sabelye. Ewwww. Both of these will be mentioned again below,don't you worry about it.
Missed the space after the colon and after the comma.

Maybe try this image? [img]http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen6/xy-animated/478.gif[/img]

478.gif

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I was using the gifs as like a border between sections, so a line made more sense to me than a single floating ghost-ice thing. I fixed the sizes (I think), so see how it looks now.

Also, Finished the draft!

EDIT: Those damn ninja's...

I think I fixed most of the spaces, but I will go back and fix the rest riiiight now

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Alrighty, editing stage!

Just going mostly on sentence structure and etc, as I'm no expert on singles. I'll leave that to others, but I have made a couple suggestions on that too. Overall I like the article; just needs a bit of tidying up here and there. Not far off!
Why Froslass Doesn't Suck, etc. – PTDS #1[OU]
I think we may just go with 'Why Froslass Doesn't Suck' for the article title. You can include the other details within the excerpt (short sentence on what the article is about, e.g. "The first entry on why specific Pokémon don't suck!") - if you have any suggestions for that do share!
Welcome to the first edition of "Pokémon That Don't Suck, etc.",
I'd also stick to just 'Pokémon That Don't Suck".
I will discuss how to use some awesome Pokémon, and when and when not to use them.
"and when and where/where and when".
I of course am referencing Froslass, and will now proceed to explain (...)
I'd reword slightly - "I am, of course, referencing Froslass. I will explain (...)"
For those new to the scene, here are a couple terms and abbreviations I throw around in this post
Chuck in a full stop at the end.

I like the idea of adding those terms and their explanations here. I'd perhaps bold the terms before the descriptions. Mybe beforehand in the intro mention this is for Singles as well, for readers who don't know what OU is.
OU - Smogon Overused
Smogon's Overused, maybe?

I like the anime gif there - do you want to have a caption for the image? If so, please edit it in.
Evolves from: Snorunt (Dawn Stone, Female Only)(and would someone tell Google that it does not evolve from Glalie?)
While amusing, maybe it'd be better to drop the Google remark.
Base Stats (range @Lv100)
Maybe have a space after the @.

I still feel that you only need the one animated sprite - a bunch of them in a row may act as a line break, but we can do that with spacing and headings in the article anyway, and multiple are... rather distracting to the writing itself, I find.

There's also a weird floating '2' at the end of those.

The explanation for the set looks pretty good to me!
Timid nature is used because speed is cool*. The EVs are placed where they are because they are the only stats Froslass ever uses. Cursed Body is the preferred ability because disabling things is fun*, however it does screw up predicting Destiny Bond sometimes, so go with Snow Cloak if you are worried about that (or are running a Hail team, which is another story).
This could perhaps use a bit more expansion - e.g. the EVs are there because the Focus Sash and Destiny Bond approach mean that boosting defense is wasteful (and it is frail anyway) - so max speed and SpA means higher chance of hurting things more or outspeeding opponents to get moves like Destiny Bond in, while a bit more on what the abilities do would be neat. The latter could go early in the article however, in 'The Subject' segment by Abilities.
Its also in theory the best Specially Attacking Ice type*
It is, rather than Its (which is possessive). I'm unsure if you should pyut a * behind so many parts as well even if it's for a joke.
so a set with Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Shadow Ball, and Destiny Bond doesn't sound like the worst idea until you consider its low 80 base SpAtk and how Weavile does 6 times* more damage to anything not named M-Slowbro.
I feel this could maybe use some more explanation, or simpler wording (bringing Weavile into it with '6 times more damage unless M-Slowbro' somewhat confuses the point of "Froslass isn't very good at pure damage output").
·Base 110 Speed is better than most other leads
Examples of such leads, maybe?
Destiny Bond gives it more trading potential than other leads
What is trading potential? That may be good to quickly explain there.
Very good at protecting its Spikes as a Ghost-Type Taunt user
Maybe add the explanation (it blocks the move Rapid Spin).
Much less likely to be setup bait then otherHazard setters
Space required.
·Is an Ice type, and has a metric ton (5) of weaknesses.
This bullet point unlike any other has a full stop, so I'd remove it for consistency. Same for the last two points.

I'd also add in that anything with priority moves (Bullet Punch, etc) that isn't Quick Attack (lol) or Extremespeed can also mess with Destiny Bond plans - more prediction required.
Tune in next time
I'd probably drop this.
(notice the title case)
Likewise - no need to spell out hints imo, it's neat enough without this.
Until then, have a nice Froslass discussion thread to keep you busy. Direct your questions or comments there or my PM inbox, and direct any complaints to [email protected], my email that I don't ever read. You stay classy, PokéCommunity.
I feel we should be more formal in rounding out the article. Avoid giving your email (we won't put emails in any articles), and there's no need to direct users to the discussion thread as the comments part of any article page does that already. Something shorter/simpler and along the lines of "Share your thoughts in the comments below!"
1 Pokémon Anime DP116 (overall 584) "The Drifting Snorunt!". Could not find a source for the gif format, if you know the original source PM me
Source: The Pokémon Company. Can keep the anime episode info however with that.

Years
I also feel like there could be a little more expansion about choices in the paragraphs explaining the set, although the one I'm hung up most on is this one:
Timid nature is used because speed is cool*.
It's the one that stuck out the most to me as I read through it. I'm just thinking about what would happen if I came across this without knowing much about anything, and my first reaction to that sentence is a "why?", pretty much. Right now it reads as a "just because" kind of statement, and I feel that even a small thing like "this nature used because it helps this already awesome stat that was mentioned previously" (or something similar) would help it overcome that.

Checks Latios and Latias, which is a nice addition to any squad
Bit of a confusing sentence. I know the last half is, of course, referring to Froslass, but it could also be potentially read as referring to the Latis mentioned there, so...

Perhaps something like:
Checks Latios and Latias, making it a nice addition to any squad

Magic Bounce users like Mega Sabelye and Mega Diancie render Froslass helpless.
Just a spellcheck here for "Sableye".

Oh, and skipping around back to the beginning, the little terms list at the beginning is great, and yet, while you mentioned OU there, there's this among the stats for Froslass:
Tier: UU (Banned from RU)
You mentioned one tier, and yet the abbreviations for these other tiers are never expanded upon for those who may have no idea what they are. Maybe edit the list a bit to include those? Could work as each on their own line, or even just grouped up on one (so like: OU, UU, RU - [the meaning of them here], brief explanation about them being rulesets etc.).

Pretty good so far, though. :>

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
· Checks Latios and Latias, which is a nice addition to any squad3

184 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Froslass: 312-368 (111 - 130.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
184 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Froslass: 191-226 (67.9 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Life Orb is very common on the Latis, and even without it, Latias can 2HKO it with both of its most common moves (Draco Meteor will still OHKO with rocks up). Latios has a higher base SpA so I'm not even going to calculate it.

They have the same base speed as well, so even if you do switch Froslass in to one and survive, there's a 50/50 chance you'll actually get to use Ice Beam, and that won't even kill it, so it dies anyway.

·Its Spikes can be stacked with Stealth Rocks from a teammate

I don't see the fact that its Spikes can be stacked with Stealth Rock* from another team mate* as an advantage, that goes for any Pokémon that runs Spikes.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Alrighty, editing stage!

Just going mostly on sentence structure and etc, as I'm no expert on singles. I'll leave that to others, but I have made a couple suggestions on that too. Overall I like the article; just needs a bit of tidying up here and there. Not far off!
That's better than I can say for my English essay...

I think we may just go with 'Why Froslass Doesn't Suck' for the article title. You can include the other details within the excerpt (short sentence on what the article is about, e.g. "The first entry on why specific Pokémon don't suck!") - if you have any suggestions for that do share!
I'd also stick to just 'Pokémon That Don't Suck".
Fine, I'll remove the etc. from the end of the titles :(

"and when and where/where and when".
I'd reword slightly - "I am, of course, referencing Froslass. I will explain (...)"
Chuck in a full stop at the end.
Yup, that makes sense. Will fix shortly

I like the idea of adding those terms and their explanations here. I'd perhaps bold the terms before the descriptions. Mybe beforehand in the intro mention this is for Singles as well, for readers who don't know what OU is.
Smogon's Overused, maybe?
That makes a ton of sense.

I like the anime gif there - do you want to have a caption for the image? If so, please edit it in.
While amusing, maybe it'd be better to drop the Google remark.
I think that image explains itself, but I shall add something witty if I can think of it.

Maybe have a space after the @.
*checks .docx file* Yup, that was one of the spaces that got removed.

I still feel that you only need the one animated sprite - a bunch of them in a row may act as a line break, but we can do that with spacing and headings in the article anyway, and multiple are... rather distracting to the writing itself, I find.

There's also a weird floating '2' at the end of those.
I'll remove a bunch of those Froslass. The floating 2 is superscript to reference a footnote (the citation), but if you have some other citation method in place that can be changed

The explanation for the set looks pretty good to me!
This could perhaps use a bit more expansion - e.g. the EVs are there because the Focus Sash and Destiny Bond approach mean that boosting defense is wasteful (and it is frail anyway) - so max speed and SpA means higher chance of hurting things more or outspeeding opponents to get moves like Destiny Bond in, while a bit more on what the abilities do would be neat. The latter could go early in the article however, in 'The Subject' segment by Abilities.
Ok, so mabye I should have actually explained the EVs. I'll go do that.

It is, rather than Its (which is possessive). I'm unsure if you should pyut a * behind so many parts as well even if it's for a joke.
I always do that. And that joke is useless and outdated, so that is gone as well

I feel this could maybe use some more explanation, or simpler wording (bringing Weavile into it with '6 times more damage unless M-Slowbro' somewhat confuses the point of "Froslass isn't very good at pure damage output").
Yeah, that section as a whole is a bit of a mess. Changing that now.

Examples of such leads, maybe?
What is trading potential? That may be good to quickly explain there.
Maybe add the explanation (it blocks the move Rapid Spin).
derp

Space required.
SCREW THIS SPACE-BANISHING FORUM EDITOR GAHHHH

This bullet point unlike any other has a full stop, so I'd remove it for consistency. Same for the last two points.
Will do

I'd also add in that anything with priority moves (Bullet Punch, etc) that isn't Quick Attack (lol) or Extremespeed can also mess with Destiny Bond plans - more prediction required.
Yup, I'll add that too

I'd probably drop this.
Likewise - no need to spell out hints imo, it's neat enough without this.
My jokes are terrible.

I feel we should be more formal in rounding out the article. Avoid giving your email (we won't put emails in any articles), and there's no need to direct users to the discussion thread as the comments part of any article page does that already. Something shorter/simpler and along the lines of "Share your thoughts in the comments below!"
Yeah, I screwed around with this bit. I'll formalize that.

Source: The Pokémon Company. Can keep the anime episode info however with that.
And we are back to he citations again

I also feel like there could be a little more expansion about choices in the paragraphs explaining the set, although the one I'm hung up most on is this one:

It's the one that stuck out the most to me as I read through it. I'm just thinking about what would happen if I came across this without knowing much about anything, and my first reaction to that sentence is a "why?", pretty much. Right now it reads as a "just because" kind of statement, and I feel that even a small thing like "this nature used because it helps this already awesome stat that was mentioned previously" (or something similar) would help it overcome that.
Ummm, right. yeah. formality...

Bit of a confusing sentence. I know the last half is, of course, referring to Froslass, but it could also be potentially read as referring to the Latis mentioned there, so...

Perhaps something like:
Checks Latios and Latias, making it a nice addition to any squad
That makes sense

Just a spellcheck here for "Sableye".
I think I have spelled Sableye at least 8 different ways in the last 2 weeks. I always get this one wrong.

Oh, and skipping around back to the beginning, the little terms list at the beginning is great, and yet, while you mentioned OU there, there's this among the stats for Froslass:

You mentioned one tier, and yet the abbreviations for these other tiers are never expanded upon for those who may have no idea what they are. Maybe edit the list a bit to include those? Could work as each on their own line, or even just grouped up on one (so like: OU, UU, RU - [the meaning of them here], brief explanation about them being rulesets etc.).

Pretty good so far, though. :>
Yup, will add this

184 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Froslass: 312-368 (111 - 130.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
184 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Froslass: 191-226 (67.9 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Life Orb is very common on the Latis, and even without it, Latias can 2HKO it with both of its most common moves (Draco Meteor will still OHKO with rocks up). Latios has a higher base SpA so I'm not even going to calculate it.

They have the same base speed as well, so even if you do switch Froslass in to one and survive, there's a 50/50 chance you'll actually get to use Ice Beam, and that won't even kill it, so it dies anyway.
That statement was misworded to begin with, I meant that the latis don't like switching into Froslass (Focus Sash, etc.), despite being a fine switch-in to most hazard leads that don't run Knock Off

I don't see the fact that its Spikes can be stacked with Stealth Rock* from another team mate* as an advantage, that goes for any Pokémon that runs Spikes.
Might remove this one, I dunno

All of these edits will be applied once I get another few seconds of free time. Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Another set of edits! Content looks fine overall, and most of this is just for new stuff that was written.
Welcome to the first edition of "Pokémon That Don't Suck", where I shall explain how you can use an underused - yet cool –Pokémon in a competitive setting. I will discuss how to use some awesome Pokémon, and when and when not to use them.
On second thoughts, this introduction repeats itself slightly and could be merged into one sentence ("…how you can use an underused - yet cool –Pokémon in a competitive setting, and when and where not to use them.") Note the double 'when and when' you still have there as well.

The term/abbreviation section looks better – still feel the terms themselves could be in bold.
If I didn't know better, I would say it's petting the tree
Needs a full stop. ALSO:
The floating 2 is superscript to reference a footnote (the citation), but if you have some other citation method in place that can be changed
We do indeed! We can have the citation for the image be within the caption which then becomes "If I didn't know better, I would say it's petting the tree. Source: The Pokémon Company (Anime episode DP116 "The Drifting Snorunt!")"

…Looking ahead, I'd probably just remove the numbering of the citations and where they are in the text, and just list them at the end, in part because ' superscript as it looks weird next to an image and adding a caption under that animated sprite seems a touch silly to me.
Its abilities are unimpressive, with Cursed Body having a 30% chance of disabling any enemy attack that hits Froslass, and Snow Cloak... Raising its Evasion in Hail?
'raising' rather than Raising (reads better without a new sentence there imo).
However it's Physical movepool consists of... Ice Shard, Avalanche, and Wake-Up Slap, I guess? Not much. It lacks any form of stat boosting though, so I dunno...
its instead of it's, and I'd finish this part with "…though, so it's not recommended."
Timid nature is used because the speed boost allows for tying other +Speed base 110s
"tying with other"
while only losing points in Attack, and Froslass' Physical movepool is basically non-existant.
Minor reword suggested: "…points in an unused Attack stat given Froslass' non-existent Physical movepool.". Note also that existent has an e instead of an a.
as it is just not bulky enough to take a hit and it's physical movepool is still lacking
Another its > it's case.
Its also in theory the best Specially Attacking Ice type
Now in reverse – try "It is also in theory…"

Pros and Cons section – decide if you want a full stop after all or none of the bullet points – still some inconsistencies here.
(Sure this applies to all Spikes users, but you cannot stack Rocks with more Rocks)
Maybe "sure, this applies…" - you don't need the capital as it's still part of the same sentence, and the comma creates a pause which I think helps.
So that's it for this segment of "Pokémon That Don't Suck" Check back later for more shenanigans and a Pokémon that don't give a crap about anything.
Need a full stop after 'Suck"'. I'd also reword so the 'crap' becomes something else, just to keep formality more than the word itself. Or maybe "…that doesn't care about anything."?
Until then, have fun arguing with me (and everyone else) in the comments below. Direct questions or suggestions for this column as a whole, including suggesting new Pokémon to rant about, to my PM inbox. Until next time, you stay classy PokéCommunity.
Not sure you should invite arguing. ;p Again, goes back to the formal point. "Discuss my analysis in the comments below!". I'd invite suggests for the column to the article series thread rather than your PM box as well. Last line may be best dropped as well – PokéCommunity always has class. ;p
Shoutout to the Daily staff for editing this with me and greenlighting this in the first place
All things Pokémon related are copyrighted by Nintendo. Duh.
Neither of these two lines are necessary either, even if shoutouts are nice. =) Daily staff will include who edited at the bottom of the article, while the copyright thing is done in the footer of every page (forums and Daily) already, so no need to do it twice!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
I think that's it. I bolded the stuff in the Abbreviation section and added the most recent OU usage stat for Froslass (Given this is about how Froslass isn't used, I figured this would fit). I also removed the base power of Heat Smash because it was in the way and utterly useless.

And I'm leaving the Anchorman reference.

As far as cover images, I have a few ideas

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...ce_Beam.png/revision/latest?cb=20140506162616
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net...ision/latest?cb=20110923174855&path-prefix=bg
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net...ow_Ball.png/revision/latest?cb=20140506162651
All from various anime episodes.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Yeah, the images are good in terms of content, but way too small.
These have limits of 640x480 as a minimum size, JPG (or PNG where best), and aim for 100 KB as a file size limit. If you know aspect ratios, aim for images to be 4:3, 16:9 or 1:1.
Luckily reverse google image search is useful! One and three have sufficiently large sizes and decent quality still. So one of those two will be it.
And I'm leaving the Anchorman reference.
Fair enough unless other Daily staff insist, not something I feel too strongly about in the end.

Last thing (although I'll give the article another look tomorrow after sleep in case) is the title of the article series - it's still a filler one by the article pitching thread, and maybe could be something that doesn't suggest by default that people have generally decided this Pokemon sucks (which from my limited knowledge isn't something that applies to, say, Quagsire). (It also could be confused with another article also drafted called 'Why Eeeve Sucks', which isn't part of this series).

I'll try to think more on alternative names after the aforementioned sleep, but wolf had "Offbeat/Alternative Competitive Pokemon", off the top of my head is "How to Battle with ___", "Winning with ____", "Don't Discount ____"... Something to discuss at any rate!

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Yeah, the images are good in terms of content, but way too small.
Luckily reverse google image search is useful! One and three have sufficiently large sizes and decent quality still. So one of those two will be it.
Fair enough unless other Daily staff insist, not something I feel too strongly about in the end.

Last thing (although I'll give the article another look tomorrow after sleep in case) is the title of the article series - it's still a filler one by the article pitching thread, and maybe could be something that doesn't suggest by default that people have generally decided this Pokemon sucks (which from my limited knowledge isn't something that applies to, say, Quagsire). (It also could be confused with another article also drafted called 'Why Eeeve Sucks', which isn't part of this series).

I'll try to think more on alternative names after the aforementioned sleep, but wolf had "Offbeat/Alternative Competitive Pokemon", off the top of my head is "How to Battle with ___", "Winning with ____", "Don't Discount ____"... Something to discuss at any rate!

For the cover, i'll take image 1. 3 looks like Froslass is attacking, which I said multiple times not to do.

If I were to change the title, I would make it "How to ___". Wolf's suggestion could work as a series title.

Back