• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] How to choose the Essentials engine...?

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Greetings, fellow fandevs!
I decided to start this topic for all those who are willing to make a fangame but, just like myself, are still unsure which engine to start with.
As you probably already know there's multiple choices, four examples being the standard Essentials, Essentials DS, Essentials B&W and Essentials EX.
Now, perhaps some experienced fan-devs can give us all some advice on how to pick one, and
illustrate us the most notable differences amongst each of the major engines?
Or maybe suggest other engines?
*random kricketot emitting xilophone sounds*
Uhm, maybe someone else made a similiar topic in the past, but I'm quite sure it's okay to bring a similiar discussion back to the daylight...
Which engine would YOU suggest? And which objectives do you think each engine helps you achieving better?
Uhm, someone else is trying to take me off the computer...
*static*

Last edited:
Years
Firstly, you should know what kind of game you're trying to make.
If you're a novice programmer and want two screens for whatever reason, making a second screen probably will be difficult on your own, and there's no simple public script to make that happen. So in that case you should go with Essentials B&W. DS is even more outdated, but retains a gen4 look.
EX just combines a lot of available public scripts into one kit.
As long as you can follow directions, it's generally better to just use stock Essentials, and add whatever public scripts you want for your game.

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
Years
Firstly, you should know what kind of game you're trying to make.
If you're a novice programmer and want two screens for whatever reason, making a second screen probably will be difficult on your own, and there's no simple public script to make that happen. So in that case you should go with Essentials B&W. DS is even more outdated, but retains a gen4 look.
EX just combines a lot of available public scripts into one kit.
As long as you can follow directions, it's generally better to just use stock Essentials, and add whatever public scripts you want for your game.
Thank you very much indeed for your help, chap! Glad to have your suggestion!

There's one thing I noticed, by the way : with the stock Essentials and EBS installed, the player can select a move in-battle with the cursor,
so cursor-related mechanics could be implemented within, could they not? If so, a skilled programmer could make
customized cursor-interactable menus and also implement underground mining or
Pokémon dress-up...well,dressing can be obtained with picture-editing but would be still nice to have as part of a contest mechanic...

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
Years
Essentials DS and BW are also outdated, if I remember correctly. The regular essentials is definitely the best choice.

BadSamaritan

Gone Fishin'
Years
  • Seen Jun 8, 2023
Essentials DS and BW are also outdated, if I remember correctly. The regular essentials is definitely the best choice.

I think considering any essentials "outdated" is fairly subjective. Since imo the kits have had everything you need to make a solid game since v.4 or 5. But it's especially subjective in the case of DS or BW, considering the goal of said projects was to emulate (now) older games systems, like gen.4's or 5's respectively.

Anyways to the OP, I'd parrot what the others have said. Use base essentials first and then add anything you need on top of it. Because I have yet to see a fan-game that used any of the non-core kits that was truly fun, much less fun because of features only available in other kits.

Back