• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to change the Worldmap in R/S/E

SiegHart

Guardian of Time
Years
Well, it's perfectly fine for use with FR/LG, only should you use different unLZ numbers, and set both TileMolester and NTME to 4BPP mode. (In TileMolester, use 4BPP Linear.) The rest is quite the same for all GBA games. However, I don't know which unLZ numbers you should use for FR/LG. But there's a thread in the Documents and Tutorials section. This one. (According to the thread, it's 191 for the tileset in FR, so that would make it 192 for the tilemap.)

omg after soo many tutorials i came back to yours just cuz i remembered you saying i could find a way to apply this to FR roms, and well your my new best friend, i realized the difference in your tutorial and every other tutorial i looked at was in your tutorial you go to a different number in unlz for the tilemap, but in other tutorials ppl were just loading the raw on the same number they loaded the tileset... i went exploring in the numbers after and i found what i thought was the tilemap possibly so i changed it as you said, then hex edited so it would link to my tilemap and sure enough it fixed it :D, now my only problem is the color is messed up and i dont know how im gonna fix that.... any ideas?
zyhrx2.png

OM3GA Umbr30n

Was Mazot2
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 3, 2010
i dunno T_T
Just trying to help :D

EDIT:
Did u remember to use the Worldmap.pal in Tilemolestor?
If yes try not using it

Last edited:

OM3GA Umbr30n

Was Mazot2
Years
  • Age 26
  • UK
  • Seen Mar 3, 2010
sad to hear it T_T
did u remember to import the pallete in tilemolestor?
im trying to help people :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
I've followed the tutorial twice and both times my world map has been glitched to hell and back. I think it may have to do with NTME utterly ruining the tilemap every time I've loaded it after saving- it looks like what happened to Aisu K's map, only vertical rather than horizontal. My tileset is 128 x 128 if it helps, and this is what the final result was in-game i34 dot tinypic dot c o m/wkhjrp.p n g (please excuse the broken info, I can't post a straight link yet)

Any idea what went wrong?

Larsie13

I've followed the tutorial twice and both times my world map has been glitched to hell and back. I think it may have to do with NTME utterly ruining the tilemap every time I've loaded it after saving- it looks like what happened to Aisu K's map, only vertical rather than horizontal. My tileset is 128 x 128 if it helps, and this is what the final result was in-game i34 dot tinypic dot c o m/wkhjrp.p n g (please excuse the broken info, I can't post a straight link yet)

Any idea what went wrong?
Hehe, good one. I can't say I know what went wrong just like that. Could you show me a screenshot from the tileset + tilemap as they are in NTME? If you say NTME might have caused it, it would help if I could see what you did with it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
Yeah I know, haha. I realized a couple of things over the last hour: I wasn't setting TMA to 8bpp linear after all, but the other 8bpp above it. That helped with the color once loaded, and the other thing I've noted is that at 8bpp NTME glitches, but at 4bpp NTME loads it just fine at 32x20.

Screencaps:
i36 dot tinypic dot c o m/14cur05.png
i38 dot tinypic dot c o m/24g2dlx.png
i34 dot tinypic dot c o m/2zsba77.png

Sorry for the size. Is it the way I've got the tileset set out maybe?

Larsie13

Hmm... If NTME loads the tilemap in 4BPP as it should when in 8BPP, then the conclusion I draw from that, is that you might have accidentally created the tilemap in 4BPP. Or, you might have given the tilemap the wrong dimensions. You might want to try loading the tileset, switch to 8BPP mode, and start making the tilemap again from scratch, after having set the "Preset Size" in the bottom right corner of the NTME window to "R/S WM".

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
Good tutorial, it's a big help for Ruby hackers (not me unforunately >.<)

Anyways, please post on the tutorial that the images must be inserted at an offset ending in 0,4,8 or C because they're LZ77 compressed and that's why some people's don't work.

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2023
You're right about NTME. I went ahead and redrew it in 8BPP and it loads just fine at the R/S World Map settings. I should note that I'm only getting one "Ptr found at 00XXXXXX. Changed." message per insertion in unLZ.

The map is still all over the place, but the colors are correct. For whatever reason it seems determined not to adjust to my Johto rendition and scatter itself across the original Hoenn outline instead.

Larsie13

Good tutorial, it's a big help for Ruby hackers (not me unforunately >.<)

Anyways, please post on the tutorial that the images must be inserted at an offset ending in 0,4,8 or C because they're LZ77 compressed and that's why some people's don't work.
I totally forgot about that! :P Thanks for reminding me. I'll add it right away.
You're right about NTME. I went ahead and redrew it in 8BPP and it loads just fine at the R/S World Map settings. I should note that I'm only getting one "Ptr found at 00XXXXXX. Changed." message per insertion in unLZ.

The map is still all over the place, but the colors are correct. For whatever reason it seems determined not to adjust to my Johto rendition and scatter itself across the original Hoenn outline instead.
Hmm... Just one message, you say? Did you, by any chance not make a backup before you reinserted the tileset/tilemap? (Or did make a backup, but didn't use it, and inserted the new tileset/tilemap over the previously inserted ones?)
i have this pic:

yes__.PNG

but i dont know how to turn it into a tilemap...
help?
Well, first off, I see that your image is too big to fit on the GBA screen, which is 240x160 pixels. So unless you make the map smaller, it won't be shown in VBA completely. Second, I think you mean "tileset" instead of "tilemap". And third, check here for an easy way to make a tileset and tilemap out of an image. I'll add this to the first post, too.

Larsie13

Well, the reason my map is that big, is because it has land at the bottom and right edge. If I would have made the map 240x160, and zoomed in on the map in the Pokénav, you could clearly see the sea cutting of the land. With this size, it looks like the land continues. That's the only reason. But you should never place towns and routes outside of the 240x160 border. In fact, in-game, the cursor can't even reach the outermost parts of the screen. The 8 left- and rightmost pixels are inaccessible, just like the 16 topmost, and the 24 bottom pixels. Keep that in mind when creating a map.

Larsie13

Yeah, that's one of the differences between FR/LG and R/S/E. That's why, when you switch to another ROM, you should make sure you know what differences there are compared to the old one. (Or at least most of 'em.)

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I followed the tutorial, and after several attempts I finally got it right, but...

It doesn't change the map that displays in the PokeDex, it only changes the map that displays on the TownMap/PokeNav.

Larsie13

I followed the tutorial, and after several attempts I finally got it right, but...

It doesn't change the map that displays in the PokeDex, it only changes the map that displays on the TownMap/PokeNav.
Unfortunately, yes, that's true. I knew that already. The Pokédex worldmap is a different image, and as far as I know, it's in 4BPP, unlike the Pokénav / Fly worldmaps. But, so far, I haven't managed to change the Pokédex worldmap yet.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
I think I figured out how to edit the PokeDex world map!

You know how in Emerald, the world map tileset number for Unlz is 245? Well, I found a second tileset resembling the worldmap! The second tileset number for Unlz is 328. I'll try editing it later to see if I'm correct.

EDIT: For some reason I found a 3rd map tileset at 330 (Unlz).

EDIT: I SUCCESSFULLY CHANGED THE POKEDEX MAP!!!
finallyj.png

The only tools I had to use was UnlzGBA, and NTME. And no, that image is not fake. I just wanted to make a simple looking map just to see if it actually works.

EDIT: The Unlz number for the Pokedex tilemap is 328 (Emerald). I still don't know what the 330 tilemap is for. And yes, it's in 4BPP.

This is what I did:
1. Open up Unlz, go to 328, 256 Color mode, exported the tileset.
2. Open up Paint, and then pasted my tileset into it (and since Unlz indexes the exported file, the colors are correct)
3. With NTME, make a tilemap with your indexed tileset, save as .raw
4. Back to Unlz, import the new tileset: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2637/newtilemap.png
(You don't have to find a new offset, only if it's too big).
5. Click 'Next', now do Load Raw, and select the tilemap you made with NTME. I put in a free offset just in case.
6. Now with VBA, go to your Pokedex, select any random Pokemon, and look at it's "AREA". This is what it should look like: http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/7843/finallyj.png

Last edited:

Larsie13

Thanks, and good job! I had found that second tileset myself, but when I changed it, the Pokédex worldmap in-game didn't change, for some reason...
Anyway, I'll add that to the first post.

Sky
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
Make sure with your your unLZ number.
search about 238, but for many reason, the number is not true for the edited rom, so you need to find it, here is a sign:
pokedextilesetworldmap ==>pokedextilemapworldmap (raw) ==> another tileset==>another tile map==>pokenavi call bag.
and raw file is 4bpp. So I thinks you have to make a new tile map but the locations must same as the old one. (normal world map)
And note don't write with new offset, it may make your rom has bugs.

And here is the palete offset:
61d140 and 61d160
That mean you have 32 color for the worldmap (I think you should use under 30 color)
U can use hex editor or APE to edit. Don't stick compressed L77.... when use APE.

Last edited:
Back