• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Strategies and suggestions

k-van

Ruler of K-vanian Empire
Years
Can somebody come up with a good strategy and team of 6 that I should use out of the pokes on my trade thread? Here they are for ease of access:

Flawless:
Spoiler:

Near Flawless:
Spoiler:

EV'd:
Spoiler:

DW pokes:
Spoiler:

Legendaries:
Spoiler:

Events:
Spoiler:

This is for wifi battles and tourneys. I don't have a specific strategy or team that I use and I lose more often then I win. So can anyone come up with a good strategy to use with 6 of these pokes?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
You'll have to pick a specific team if you want to get it rated! I'm sorry, but we're not exactly here to build a team for you. Try to pick the most successful variation out on your own, and then post that and we can help then. But anything beyond that is asking too much. You'll have to do some of your own work if you want to make an effective team. :<

Do come back when you have a full team though!

k-van

Ruler of K-vanian Empire
Years
Ok so I narrowed it down so I have 2 walls, 2 physical sweepers, and 2 special sweepers but I cant decide who to use exactly.

1. Swampert/Forretress/Ferrothorn* (SR/Spikes/ entry hazard poke as well as wall #1)

2. Blaziken/Shapedo (both have speed boost and are physical sweeper #1)

3. Dusknoir* (wall #2 and can stall/burn opponent)

4. Porygon-Z*/Togekiss/Hydreigon (scarfed 'gon makes for some annoyed opponents and special sweeper #1)

5. Volcarona/Heatran/Roserade/Politoed (special sweeper #2 and if I use politoed, then I would take sharpedo for boosted water move)

6. Metagross/Scizor/Gallade* (physical sweeper #2)

Note: * means that I would normally pick these pokes.

So these are (almost) for sure pokes:

Ferrothorn (because he is brutal)
Blaziken/Sharpedo
Dusknoir
Porygon-Z
Volcarona/Heatran/Roserade/Politoed
Gallade

Any suggestions for this team?

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
You're still going to have to break it down all the way to 6 Pokemon (not eight or nine or ten or eleven etc) and preferably test it a bit yourself, noting some things that you lost to and things you can't figure out how to beat. Plus, I'm too lazy to go back up and scour through that stuff you spoiler'd earlier just to try to figure out what sets your Pokemon are running. :(

Speed Boost Blaziken is on our ban list and is thus unusable if you're going to be battling 'round here competitively. It's actually on most ban lists, so unless you're going to play Ubers... ;o;

k-van

Ruler of K-vanian Empire
Years
Ferrothorn
Sharpedo
Dusknoir
Porygon-Z
Politoed
Gallade

*Porygon-Z @ Wise Glasses
Modest
Dark Pulse, Thunderbolt, Icebeam, Psychic
31/28/24/26/31/31
255 sp.att, 255 speed

*Gallade / lv 100
Adamant
28/31/29/15/28/31
6 HP/252 attack/ 252 speed
Leaf Blade/Psycho cut/EQ/Cose Combat

Dusknoir (nn. Nightmarez) @ expert belt
Impish
Shadow Sneak, EQ, Pain Split, Will-o-wisp
106 hp, 68 att, 252 def, 28 sp.att, 18 sp.def, 38 speed

Sharpedo lv 100 OT: Erica
-Adamant
-Speed Boost
-Protect/Waterfall/Crunch/EQ
-EVs: 4hp/252 att/1def/1sp.def/252 speed
-IVs: Flawless

Politoed lv 100 OT: Mark
- Calm
- Drizzle
- Surf/Ice Beam/Focus Blast/Hypnosis
- EVs: 252 Sp.Att / 252 Sp.def / 4 HP
- IVs: Flawless

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Another word of advice: movesets, EVs, natures and items would be helpful so that we can rate the team more easily.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Can you not read? That is all in the last post.

There was no reason to be rude at all because he's absolutely correct. You don't have all of that information in that post. You have items listed for two of the Pokémon (P-Z & Dusknoir), you're missing the ability for P-Z/Gallade/Dusknoir (tho i think he only has pressure) and you're missing Ferrothorn entirely.

P-Z's EV spread is not optimal; the max amount of points for a stat you can get is 252 so putting 255 in each actually wastes one stat point you can put in HP or something. It also really sucks without STAB, especially if you have Adaptability. Plus it's too slow to actually be able to make use of Expert Belt. Run Choice Specs + Tri Attack/Hidden Power (Ground/Fighting)/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam.

The only reason to use Gallade this gen is its Bulk Up set; run 252hp/252spD Adamant @ Bulk Up/Drain Punch/(Ice Punch/Stone Edge)/Shadow Sneak. Leaf Blade sucks and EQ gives godawful coverage with CC. Don't use an outclassed version of like every other Fighting-type if you're not going to abuse its good qualities, aka solid SpD and Shadow Sneak.

Dusknoir likewise sucks this gen but if you're determined to run it you should actually use a viable spread, aka 252hp/28atk/228def @ lefties. Moveset looks alright tho, might wanna use Fire Punch > Shadow Sneak for crap like Ferrothorn and Scizor and the fact that Noir's Shadow Sneak is weak as hell but eh, whatever.

Sharpedo would rather make use of its decent mixed attacking stats and the fact that it doesn't have to invest in much speed because of Speed Boost. Run Crunch/Hydro Pump/(Hidden Power (Fire)/Ice Beam)/Protect @ Mild Nature, 148atk/252spA/108spe. After two Speed Boosts, 'Pedo outruns +Speed Deoxys-S and Jolly ScarfChomp.

I'm assuming Politoed is the standard Specs set since that is the moveset but you should run those EVs in Speed, not SpD. At worst, run them in HP to maximize overall bulk.

k-van

Ruler of K-vanian Empire
Years
There was no reason to be rude at all because he's absolutely correct. You don't have all of that information in that post. You have items listed for two of the Pokémon (P-Z & Dusknoir), you're missing the ability for P-Z/Gallade/Dusknoir (tho i think he only has pressure) and you're missing Ferrothorn entirely.

P-Z's EV spread is not optimal; the max amount of points for a stat you can get is 252 so putting 255 in each actually wastes one stat point you can put in HP or something. It also really sucks without STAB, especially if you have Adaptability. Plus it's too slow to actually be able to make use of Expert Belt. Run Choice Specs + Tri Attack/Hidden Power (Ground/Fighting)/Dark Pulse/Ice Beam.
Yes I know it is not optimal. This is how I got them and I am too lazy to change them. I am quite familiar with the 252/252/4(6). And I actually did change his item to choice scarf to make up for his speed. It never was expert belt btw :P I will have to change a couple moves for him...

The only reason to use Gallade this gen is its Bulk Up set; run 252hp/252spD Adamant @ Bulk Up/Drain Punch/(Ice Punch/Stone Edge)/Shadow Sneak. Leaf Blade sucks and EQ gives godawful coverage with CC. Don't use an outclassed version of like every other Fighting-type if you're not going to abuse its good qualities, aka solid SpD and Shadow Sneak.
I was thinking of changing him for conkeldurr or Mienshao if it has regenerator ability. I will have to look into the bulk up set...

Dusknoir likewise sucks this gen but if you're determined to run it you should actually use a viable spread, aka 252hp/28atk/228def @ lefties. Moveset looks alright tho, might wanna use Fire Punch > Shadow Sneak for crap like Ferrothorn and Scizor and the fact that Noir's Shadow Sneak is weak as hell but eh, whatever.
Who do you suppose would be a better wall? He has huge def and sp.def and his shadow sneak makes up for his speed. He is just a wall after all lol. I actually just forgot to change out to lefties. That is what they were in the first place :)

Sharpedo would rather make use of its decent mixed attacking stats and the fact that it doesn't have to invest in much speed because of Speed Boost. Run Crunch/Hydro Pump/(Hidden Power (Fire)/Ice Beam)/Protect @ Mild Nature, 148atk/252spA/108spe. After two Speed Boosts, 'Pedo outruns +Speed Deoxys-S and Jolly ScarfChomp.
What is the mild nature? I forget the +- of it... Like I said, I am too lazy to completely change things about these guys since they are all lv 100 and I don't really breed and I don't do DW either. (mostly because I don't know how :P) What IV do I need for HP Fire?

I'm assuming Politoed is the standard Specs set since that is the moveset but you should run those EVs in Speed, not SpD. At worst, run them in HP to maximize overall bulk.
Meh I also got him from trading so I will go with it. But I will think about changing sp.def for speed and maybe hp.

Ferrothorn @ Lefties
Impish
Power whip/spikes/Leech seed/Stealth Rock
Flawless
252 hp/252 def/4sp.def

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Yes I know it is not optimal. This is how I got them and I am too lazy to change them. I am quite familiar with the 252/252/4(6). And I actually did change his item to choice scarf to make up for his speed. It never was expert belt btw :P I will have to change a couple moves for him...

I was thinking of changing him for conkeldurr or Mienshao if it has regenerator ability. I will have to look into the bulk up set...

Who do you suppose would be a better wall? He has huge def and sp.def and his shadow sneak makes up for his speed. He is just a wall after all lol. I actually just forgot to change out to lefties. That is what they were in the first place :)

What is the mild nature? I forget the +- of it... Like I said, I am too lazy to completely change things about these guys since they are all lv 100 and I don't really breed and I don't do DW either. (mostly because I don't know how :P) What IV do I need for HP Fire?

Meh I also got him from trading so I will go with it. But I will think about changing sp.def for speed and maybe hp.

Ferrothorn @ Lefties
Impish
Power whip/spikes/Leech seed/Stealth Rock
Flawless
252 hp/252 def/4sp.def
If you want bulk and power, use Conkeldurr:
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Mach Punch
-Stone Edge/Payback
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 120 HP/252 Atk/136 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Guts

If you want Speed, at the cost of a slight bit of power, use Mienshao:
-Fake Out
-Hi Jump Kick
-U-turn
-Hidden Power (Ice)/Stone Edge
Nature: Jolly/Naive
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe or 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator

Even though Gliscor doesn't have Dusknoir's huge Special Defense, it can be considered for a wall:
-Earthquake
-Toxic
-Facade/Ice Fang
-Protect
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal

Mild boosts Special Attack and lowers Defense.

For this Ferrothorn set, Spikes, Leech Seed and Stealth Rock are all illegal together; you can only have 2 of the 3. In the last slot, put in Gyro Ball for STAB, and change up the nature and EVs to this: Relaxed/Sassy with 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef.

Back