• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Football/Soccer Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Pepe wasn't punished for the stamp on Messi's hand. I'm not sure why the Spanish FA interpreted the incident as an unintentional offense. It was ridiculously blatant.

The referees in Spain and England are probably the worst. They destroy games with their inability to properly do their jobs.

Spanish & English FA are joke. Incompetent at best.

On the subject of catalan independence thing, apparantly their motto "mes que un club" has something to do with it. I don't know further about it, though.

I'm very worried about FA Cup game vs Liverpool, though. They might not be at their best but always seem to turn up against us, especially at their home ground. Carroll and Downing, supposed "flops," will play like they're possessed by Maradona and score hat tricks against us to make it 6-0. (In all seriousness, they're unbeaten so far at home this season. It definitely won't be easy with our god damn injuries)

Years
Downing hasn't been that bad, it isn't his fault Liverpool paid £20m for him.

The incompetency of refs goes a whole level further once you drop down divisions.

Anyway, Boro will be receiving some national exposure because our match with Sunderland is on ITV1 this Sunday. :D

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
Years
How bad is the rivalry between Middlesborough and Sunderland? I know the Newcastle-Sunderland one is really bad, for all the times Carol Malia goes on about it every time they play each other, but I don't hear as much about Middlesborough for some reason.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
Years
Spanish & English FA are joke. Incompetent at best.

On the subject of catalan independence thing, apparantly their motto "mes que un club" has something to do with it. I don't know further about it, though.

The RSFA judge said that he'd have looked into it "if Pepe had broken Messi's fingers", so yeah. Incompetent is being too nice to them.

And that motto means two things: first, it's "more than a football club"- it also has successful basketball, handball, futsal and hockey divisions (and maybe more, I'm not sure), so technically speaking, it's true it's not just a football team. And then you get into the romantic, nationalist idea of being a Catalan institution, at least a more popular one than the Catalan Parliament, but that's more subjective.

Ivysaur

Years
como esta diferente daniel alves desde que chegou a espanha. Foi operado as orelhas, que estao mais pequenas,usa oculos de intelectual... mas um burro mesmo de orelhas pequenas e de oculos nao passa a ser um doutor, continua a ser um burro!

Well, it IS written, in a twitter account with the name of Eládio Paramés ( https://twitter.com/#!/realeladio ). Unless he calls that account fake (I won't deny it gives a suspicious vibe, but he has had enough time already, it's been around for quite a long time), that notice is completely true.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
Downing hasn't been that bad, it isn't his fault Liverpool paid £20m for him.

The incompetency of refs goes a whole level further once you drop down divisions.

Anyway, Boro will be receiving some national exposure because our match with Sunderland is on ITV1 this Sunday. :D

Downing was a good player at 'boro and villa, but somehow he's regressed during his time at liverpool. (0 assists in 22 league appearances... I'd definitely call that poor). It's a simliar situation with Carroll, except his only 2 league goals came against Man City home in 2010-11 season, I believe.

Daliglish has been generally poor on transfer market. He's signed couple quality players for good price, like Bellamy for free, Enrique for 5m (around there I believe), but he could've spent what he spent on 3 very average players (Carroll, Downing, and Henderson) on so many other better players.

Am looking forward to the north east derby. It'll be a fantastic game.

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2012
Howard Webb amazes me. He is considered the best referee in the world, and I keep saying otherwise. This game [Chelsea vs. United] proved me right. United had 4 penalties in two games. Wow. De Gea somehow became superman in the last ten minutes.

I just don't get why Chelsea keep giving away leads. Had it been City or Tottenham or any other capable team, they would have won easily.

Last edited:

2Cool4Mewtwo

Years
Howard Webb amazes me. He is considered the best referee in the world, and I keep saying otherwise. This game [Chelsea vs. United] proved me right. United had 4 penalties in two games. Wow. De Gea somehow became superman in the last ten minutes.

I just don't get why Chelsea keep giving away leads. Had it been City or Tottenham or any other capable team, they would have won easily.

Webb had a mare of a game IMO, but not because he gave Man Utd 2 penalties, that's for sure. That being said, I don't tihink Webb is a good referee, but some of the others are worse than him.

It was a strange game. I think it's a fair scoreline but I've honestly never expected to come back from 3-0 down, especially at Stamford Bridge. This game also strangely reminds me of newcastle vs arsenal game a year ago.

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2012
It reminded me of that game as well. The comeback was also due to some refereeing mistakes which lead to two penalties (one was deserved, the other was not). It was also due to silly defensive mistakes from Arsenal. It's exactly like Chelsea vs. United.

Coming back from 3-0 down isn't easy, especially at SB. Regardless of Webb's incompetence, Chelsea should have ended the game as soon as they had a comfortable lead. They let their guard down when they scored the third goal, and depended on their unorganized defense. After Rooney's first penalty, I knew a comeback is nearing. I guess that's why United will always have that 'character of a champion', and through that I am sure they can win the title this year.

Ivysaur

Years
So! Let's make a quick summary of everything that has happened in these last two weeks!

Champions League:

-> Lyonnaise look set to go but I don't really trust Apoel at all, specially in Cyprus. It's going to be interesting to see how it ends. Still, the French have the upper hand here, a 1-0 at home is a very good result. (1-0)

-> Leverkusen will certainly enjoy their touristic trip to Barcelona, and take some nice pictures of the beach and the historical zones in the city as the locals start thinking about their quarterfinals match. (1-3)

-> Zenit and Benfica are head-to-head and I actually think Benfica have a better chance to move on than the Russians. One goal at home should be easy. (3-2)

-> Milan will spend a nice day sightseeing in London, but for the opposite reasons to Leverkusen. (4-0 Arsenal)

-> CSKA managed to survive at home, but it's highly unlikely that they'll survive Madrid. Very. (1-1)

-> Naples will probably take Milan's recomendations as to what to visit in London. There is a small chance of Chelsea winning though, although, for some reason, I can't quite see a 2-0 at the Bridge right now... (3-1)

-> Bayern, I know you can do better. Seriously, that was too poor for a host like you. Basel shouldn't stand a chance in Germany, but hey, they did kick United out of the group stage... (1-0)

Europa League

-> Metalist - Olympiacos: After a 8-1 win, Metalis sounds kinda scary. Let's see what they can do in Greece.

-> M. City - Sporting Portugal: Obviously City are the favourites. How far will they make it?

-> Standard - Hannover: Can't honestly say, a very equal match.

-> Valencia - PSV: I'll be rooting for the Spaniards, of course, but... it's going to be hard at best.

-> Odinese - AZ: On paper, Udinese should win, but AZ isn't too bad either.

-> Atlético - Besiktas: Obviously, WE should win this one. Although Turkey is a difficult place to play.

-> M. United - Athletic: Well, United are the favourites despite today's disaster XD Athletic will go to Old Trafford without one of their best defenders too. (But again, I'd rather see our brother team win!).

Years
I didn't get to watch the game, but: Contrary to what the media might tell you, we did not just lose horribly against France. The truth is: we won against a horrible Ireland and thus broke our tradition of completely messing up the final test before great tournaments.

Ivysaur

Years
I'm saw England and Germany had a lot of fun at home tonight. Holland are once again looking very threatening and France have certainly moved on from their recent disasters.

We played Venezuela tonight (5-0) so it isn't as clear a test as most of the other matches have been, but I know one thing for sure: Torres should definitely leave his place to Soldado. I'm sorry because I always liked him but... their recent streaks are complete opposites.

Years
People seem to be appalled at the choice of Parker as captain. To be fair he's hardly even a certified England regular but he just seems like the only logical choice apart from Lampard and this is only for one game.

If Gerrard gets the captaincy I give up on this country.

As for the result, it's quite respectable against superior opposition.

Ivysaur

Years
Well, I think I have just witnessed one of the most atrocious displays of football by Milan ever. They should be kissing Abbiati in the changing room because he and his double save to VP gave them a win they had secured a few minutes before dying on the pitch and conceding three in a half.

Also, best moment of the night: a free kick is deflected by an Arsenal player, so the referee calls goal kick for Arsenal and shows two yellow cards to Milan players for complaining. Just beautiful.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
Ninety minutes of pure rage later, Milan come out on top of Arsenal. Just. That match was horrific; somehow Arsenal managed to pull back three of four goals in the first half. No goals in the second half but some of the reffing was just shocking; no cards given by the ref for a penalty against Milan in the first half, yet when a free kick was taken by a Milan player and was deflected off of an Arsenal player, goal kick to Arsenal. Plus two yellow cards. Against Milan. What the hell.

As much as I dislike Arsenal, though, I have to admit that they were probably the better team overall. Milan were sloppy as hell. Embarrassing for a team with a reputation like that.

Years
  • Seen Mar 28, 2012
Milan's four-goal bombarding in the first leg was incredibly harsh. Arsenal basically self-generated holes in their horrific defense and Milan exploited that and cruised their way in to score four goals. Milan aren't better than Arsenal when it comes to playing good football, but they are certainly better when it comes to converting a low number of chances into definite goals. With that said, I admired Arsenal's just-short fightback in the second leg. Leading three goals to nil in the first half was a huge hope-lifting situation. The second half was weak though for Arsenal and Milan were also more critical. Sad to see them crash out of the CL, but a weakened team with a manager too cheap to spend money almost ousting a team with many stars like Milan is certainly encouraging and odd-defying.

Messi scored five goals yesterday, totaling a 7-1 victory over Leverkusen. It was a rather harsh result if you ask me, but Bayer had a horrible, horrible defense and a keeper who couldn't hold onto an easy ball.

Ivysaur

Years
ATH-LE-TIC! ATH-LE-TIC! ATH-LE-TIC!

Well hum, I'm pretty glad about the Spanish performance tonight! We beat Besiktas (Atlético 3 - 1 Besiktas), our brother team Athletic beat Manchester (United 2 - 3 Athletic, shame on that last min penalty), and Valencia also put a 4-2 over PSV (they were 4-0 up by min 60, I don't know how they could fall asleep so terribly, but well). Looking really nice for the future!

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
So Manchester United just went over City in the PL after the latter lost to Swansea. I'm personally liking this.

Although I'm more concerned with the major Spurs disappointment yesterday against Everton. We were playing well in the second half but overall it turned out pretty sloppy and we couldn't pull back the early goal they got in against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back