The PokéCommunity Forums Community Square The Bulletin Board
Designers, coders, creatives

The Bulletin Board Sometimes interesting things happen... it'd be a shame for you to miss them. Check here for new events and changes big and small around the community.

Old February 11th, 2017 (6:42 PM).
you're a nut you're crazy in the coconut
DSC

Nature: Gentle
Hey everyone!

We're looking to build out a development team to help get our site redesign finished, and the first place we're starting is with PC members. If you've got any experience doing web development (specifically front-end/design work) and you're interested in helping us out, please send me a private message here on the forums to discuss: https://www.pokecommunity.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=11848

Additional information:

One main goal is to make the site fully mobile responsive. That said, even on desktop the way in which people interact on internet communities has changed since PC was launched and we're working on modernizing ourselves, specifically removing all the clutter and fixing pain points that using 15+ year old software has given us. This is a challenging task. We don't want to lose the "spirit" of PokeCommunity--we aren't interested in making a cookie-cutter white-spaced 2017 website--but we do want to find a middle ground.

Joining our team will involve more than just writing code or making graphics, you'll be asked to help us make decisions about how the site will look and function, including making mockups and testing interfaces and trying different options and ideas. We have a good idea of where we want to take things on a large scale but the details aren't fully defined so there's plenty of room for creativity.

If you're interested at all shoot me a message, even if you're not sure if you have the skills or experience to help. There's a lot of work to do and there's a place on our team for people who have a desire to help and who are willing to learn, so don't hesitate.

Thanks!

Relevant Advertising!

Old February 12th, 2017 (9:46 AM). Edited February 12th, 2017 by seeker.
Electric

Could we get a little information on how the development pipeline works? I'm interested in knowing if this will be a "free-for-all" development cycle, or whether or not there will be structure built into design and implementation. I think it is important to have a project leader who has a clear vision for bringing a product from beginning to end, and evident goals and stages of development whereby people can be assigned specific targets in terms of what needs to be done and what they can work on. I'm not saying this needs to be time-stringent (I believe in open door policies for volunteer positions), but knowing what I'm meant to be doing as a Developer is hugely important to me.

So personally I'd rather see evidence of well-structured project management and evident proof of a strong project manager keeping things on topic, relevant and progressive before applying. So I'd love to see a plan & more detail. Good to see this getting started!
Old February 17th, 2017 (5:20 AM).

I agree. While I do believe that you all love PC and truely want to see it grow, I would like to see a plan of development as well as a sense of strong management amongst the development team with a leader to ensure that everything stays on track. I love PC and would love nothing more then to be apart of it becoming greater.
Old February 17th, 2017 (4:18 PM).

Nature: Brave
I know I'm new here but if you will be need some help, let me know.
I'm professional WebDeveloper - WebDesigner, Frontend developer - responsive is not a problem but also this must include good UX so navigation etc will be easy for any user. Nice UI is always after that.
But as mentioned by seeker - this is good to know something more about management, task management, dev environment etc. If you are interested to talk with someone who has over 9 years professional experience in web dev let me know. Cheers
Old February 18th, 2017 (7:02 AM).

I am in final year of my masters in computer application, so this will take not longer to fully modify the website for both mobile and PC in responsive way. If you want, I would like to help with any matter in development or design. - Y1
Old February 21st, 2017 (7:17 AM).
Rocket Executive

Nature: Impish
Shot you a PM, sir!
Old February 24th, 2017 (11:16 AM).

I am a developer, I am also currently working on making my website responsive.
I would appreciate helping you at the same time along the way.

- PM Sent.
Old March 13th, 2017 (8:40 PM).

Use Twitter Bootstrap for the front-end
Old 1 Week Ago (9:01 AM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason40 View Post
Use Twitter Bootstrap for the front-end
Unfortunately you can't just implement a css framework like that and magically have all the ways in which your site doesn't scale down to mobile fixed. Just from playing around with various breakpoints on this page I'd say just over-riding some simple CSS in some media queries would help a lot. And the maybe having the table-layout of the forums be set to display as block so that no elements align side-by-side on mobile could also really help.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links