• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DJTiKi's MEGA-HUGE Guide To Planning Your Awesome Rom Hack! The Guide For Everything Pokemon!

What topic should I cover after Gameplay & Balance?

• Post-Game

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Personality and Fun

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • A Different Genre, All-Together

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
Hey, look an update again. Looks like this is on Vanilla Trainers. How come I haven't updated in like a week? Let me tell you a funny story.

So my computer crashed and I lost all my data on it(not like it was unexpected though, it was on the verge). So I didn't invest alot of time on trying to rewrite it. So I came at crossroads, and decided to do the rest of it when I get a new one. BUT I then remembered that I write all the updates on Google Drive. So I came to the ultimate decision of writing all my updates on my tablet of all things. Just saying, it is a little more easier. Thanks Google Drive, you aren't completely useless. :)

So how are you guys doing in hacking and other stuff? Took a break too? Got any new ideas for more hacks? Let us hear it, I'm sure it is good.

Sorry about the crash bro. Reminds me of the time my old desktop completely fried on me back in 2010, and I lost everything pertaining to a rom hack I was working on at the time (I can't believe I didn't think to back it up...). From what I remember of it, it wasn't that good, but some things that were planned for it I'm putting in the one I'm working on now (complete with multiple backups!).

I'd say I'm progressing pretty well in hacking, and my hack in general. Haven't taken any breaks from it, because I'm so determined to finish it. I'm currently spriting all the characters, which is pretty tedious (especially since this is my first time spriting, and I have a lot of characters to create), but kinda fun. After that, I'll start mapping, which is the most fun part IMO. :3

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
Years
Sorry about the crash bro. Reminds me of the time my old desktop completely fried on me back in 2010, and I lost everything pertaining to a rom hack I was working on at the time (I can't believe I didn't think to back it up...). From what I remember of it, it wasn't that good, but some things that were planned for it I'm putting in the one I'm working on now (complete with multiple backups!).

I'd say I'm progressing pretty well in hacking, and my hack in general. Haven't taken any breaks from it, because I'm so determined to finish it. I'm currently spriting all the characters, which is pretty tedious (especially since this is my first time spriting, and I have a lot of characters to create), but kinda fun. After that, I'll start mapping, which is the most fun part IMO. :3
This might be a bit too off topic but...

You and I have different ideas of fun. Spriting was by far the worst part of making my last hack, and mapping would be a close second, if ever there was one lol.

I think that writing the story is the best part. Coming up with interesting plot twists that are both enticing and soulful. Then again, I've always been a weird one lol.

BrandoSheriff

Years
This might be a bit too off topic but...

You and I have different ideas of fun. Spriting was by far the worst part of making my last hack, and mapping would be a close second, if ever there was one lol.

I think that writing the story is the best part. Coming up with interesting plot twists that are both enticing and soulful. Then again, I've always been a weird one lol.

Storywriting is definitely my close second. That's always the first thing I do before I even start hacking, and the one thing I want to be good. Even if the whole hack itself fails, I want the player to think "well, at least the story's good." And I've always had an affinity with wanting to create good-looking maps (me being a slight perfectionist doesn't help though, just makes me take longer xD)

I think the worst part for me is running into snags and taking days to figure out the problem. xD

Bliss

Years
Storywriting is definitely my close second. That's always the first thing I do before I even start hacking, and the one thing I want to be good. Even if the whole hack itself fails, I want the player to think "well, at least the story's good." And I've always had an affinity with wanting to create good-looking maps (me being a slight perfectionist doesn't help though, just makes me take longer xD)

I think the worst part for me is running into snags and taking days to figure out the problem. xD
I totally understand! I'd rather have a terrible game with a difficulty curve that is just broken (either too easy, or far too hard) with a great story than a hack with great mechanics and a stale story. It's like playing the originals again.. and removing Vulpix from every game. Grr, just thinking about it gets me mad.

Completely off topic: I've been up for over 30 hours now.. for no apparent reason. Not babysitting today, no work or school or anything like that.. Just couldn't sleep last night.. Weird.

BrandoSheriff

Years
I totally understand! I'd rather have a terrible game with a difficulty curve that is just broken (either too easy, or far too hard) with a great story than a hack with great mechanics and a stale story. It's like playing the originals again.. and removing Vulpix from every game. Grr, just thinking about it gets me mad.

Completely off topic: I've been up for over 30 hours now.. for no apparent reason. Not babysitting today, no work or school or anything like that.. Just couldn't sleep last night.. Weird.

-Note to self: Do not remove Vulpix from your hack-

Off-topic response to the off-topic part: I once stayed up for 4 days straight just to see if I could. I then fell asleep in the middle of the day and slept for 16 hours. xD

My attempt to get back on topic: Every game has some form of transportation for the player. In the main games, this is always the running shoes, the bike, and more recently, roller skates. Does anyone have an opinion on including transportation other than a bike in a rom hack? Examples being cars, skateboards, riding Pokemon, etc.

Bliss

Years
-Note to self: Do not remove Vulpix from your hack-
LOL! Thanks! It'd be nice if she was 100% female and had slightly stronger base stats, with no evolution as well. Ninetails can be removed and replaced with some Fakemon if needed. Hey, why not give Vulpix the base stats that Ninetails has and replace Ninetails with Celetic? (Celebi's theoretical evolution)

Also, where is your hack? I don't think I've seen it. Got a link in your signature? If so, I'm just blind. If not, gimme link pl0x.
Off-topic response to the off-topic part: I once stayed up for 4 days straight just to see if I could. I then fell asleep in the middle of the day and slept for 16 hours. xD
Last night I slept for over 14 hours.. Woke up thinking it was still yesterday evening, turns out it was 11 AM. I had a "Who-The-What?" moment when I looked at the clock. (I saw 11:14 and looked out the window thinking "Umm, I think the sun is broken.. It's almost midnight!" then I saw the AM light on...)
My attempt to get back on topic: Every game has some form of transportation for the player. In the main games, this is always the running shoes, the bike, and more recently, roller skates. Does anyone have an opinion on including transportation other than a bike in a rom hack? Examples being cars, skateboards, riding Pokemon, etc.
I don't like the idea of cars, just seems weird to have a car in a lot of areas, maybe a cab system for main cities? Ooh, that sounds good!

Skateboards, please no. I'd rather not even think about this again.

Running Shoes: Please add these in EVERY game. Even Gen I and II hacks please. And please let me run in buildings.

As for Riding Pokemon... I'd like to see it done before I pass judgement. (Never played X/Y)

Planes: There was a hack I saw that never made it to Beta that used Planes to fly from one area to the next, but also allowed the player to view the entire overworld while in the plane. A cross between Final Fantasy 8 (while controlling Balamb Garden) and the SS Anne, which was a wonderful idea, but the dev never made it that far into development. I'd like to see another Plane based system and see how it works. Your thoughts?

Teleport becoming Fly - This is an idea I've had since the first time I saw Teleport in action back in Gen I. What if Teleport could be used just like Fly? I really like this idea, since it wouldn't need any spriting, and the code is (or should be) pretty simple, even for a novice like me. Your thoughts?
Note: When I say "Your thoughts?" I'm not addressing Darkrai specifically. I want everyone's opinions on these matters. Just wanted to make that clear. xD

I can't really think of any other transportation methods at the moment, but I also had to go AFK twice while typing this post up, so I had to re-read and try to figure out what I was talking about twice. xD

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Years
LOL! Thanks! It'd be nice if she was 100% female and had slightly stronger base stats, with no evolution as well. Ninetails can be removed and replaced with some Fakemon if needed. Hey, why not give Vulpix the base stats that Ninetails has and replace Ninetails with Celetic? (Celebi's theoretical evolution)

Also, where is your hack? I don't think I've seen it. Got a link in your signature? If so, I'm just blind. If not, gimme link pl0x.
Last night I slept for over 14 hours.. Woke up thinking it was still yesterday evening, turns out it was 11 AM. I had a "Who-The-What?" moment when I looked at the clock. (I saw 11:14 and looked out the window thinking "Umm, I think the sun is broken.. It's almost midnight!" then I saw the AM light on...)
I don't like the idea of cars, just seems weird to have a car in a lot of areas, maybe a cab system for main cities? Ooh, that sounds good!

Skateboards, please no. I'd rather not even think about this again.

Running Shoes: Please add these in EVERY game. Even Gen I and II hacks please. And please let me run in buildings.

As for Riding Pokemon... I'd like to see it done before I pass judgement. (Never played X/Y)

Planes: There was a hack I saw that never made it to Beta that used Planes to fly from one area to the next, but also allowed the player to view the entire overworld while in the plane. A cross between Final Fantasy 8 (while controlling Balamb Garden) and the SS Anne, which was a wonderful idea, but the dev never made it that far into development. I'd like to see another Plane based system and see how it works. Your thoughts?

Teleport becoming Fly - This is an idea I've had since the first time I saw Teleport in action back in Gen I. What if Teleport could be used just like Fly? I really like this idea, since it wouldn't need any spriting, and the code is (or should be) pretty simple, even for a novice like me. Your thoughts?
Note: When I say "Your thoughts?" I'm not addressing Darkrai specifically. I want everyone's opinions on these matters. Just wanted to make that clear. xD

I can't really think of any other transportation methods at the moment, but I also had to go AFK twice while typing this post up, so I had to re-read and try to figure out what I was talking about twice. xD

My hack isn't far enough in development to post here. I haven't even started mapping yet. xD

A plane system shouldn't be too hard to implement. Though my hack's region isn't that big, so I probably won't need it. But they are cool to see in games.

I thought of implementing a teleporting system (which actually is pretty simple) similar to Flora Sky's, but settled for plain old Fly once I realized that there aren't many areas that would need backtracking to. Maybe in the next hack after I finish this one (I actually do have a second one planned). xD

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 21, 2014
This guide really caught my eye. I like how it kept with the For Dummies format of keeping everything as simple as possible, and it really helped me out. There, I said something positive. Now I'm going to attack your guide mercilessly. We all win!
While Generation 3 is easy to understand, in my opinion, it's boring and kinda standard, but alot of tools support it. But DS games are harder to hack, but looks ALOT better than its 3rd generation counterpart.
I'm no expert, but doesn't more tools result in more possibilities and variety? Creating a complete hack of 4th gen would mean less stuff is possible. Hacking tools that add stuff like day/night cycles add more to 3rd gen games and so their possibilities are ever-increasing.
Rival:

Oh geez, this topic. Okay, every hack NEEDS a rival. One who is always pestering you, in the most inapporiate moments. One who is always your equal. "A sound rival rests within a sound region, and a sound plot, which makes for a sound game".
I disagree with this but since you made the first statement I guess I should allow you to explain your position. Why does every hack need a rival? I've been writing the plot for mine and I haven't even thought to include a rival since I didn't see a reason I needed to.

Seriously though, this is a decent guide. Some of the stuff in it is...questionable but I started tips that stuck out the most for me. I use some of your character development tips for unrelated projects already. And I couldn't find much fault with your current gameplay balancing guide. Though I will say one thing; when you post the next part to it there is almost certainly going to be people who disagree with it. For instance I prefer trying to discourage grinding as much as possible but there is certainly a huge market for that. This isn't really something I can debate with people for it will eventually fall down to personal preference. Not saying writing a balancing guide isn't a bad thing, since it will at least give me a new outlook on the subject.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
This guide really caught my eye. I like how it kept with the For Dummies format of keeping everything as simple as possible, and it really helped me out. There, I said something positive. Now I'm going to attack your guide mercilessly. We all win!
I'm no expert, but doesn't more tools result in more possibilities and variety? Creating a complete hack of 4th gen would mean less stuff is possible. Hacking tools that add stuff like day/night cycles add more to 3rd gen games and so their possibilities are ever-increasing.
I disagree with this but since you made the first statement I guess I should allow you to explain your position. Why does every hack need a rival? I've been writing the plot for mine and I haven't even thought to include a rival since I didn't see a reason I needed to.

Seriously though, this is a decent guide. Some of the stuff in it is...questionable but I started tips that stuck out the most for me. I use some of your character development tips for unrelated projects already. And I couldn't find much fault with your current gameplay balancing guide. Though I will say one thing; when you post the next part to it there is almost certainly going to be people who disagree with it. For instance I prefer trying to discourage grinding as much as possible but there is certainly a huge market for that. This isn't really something I can debate with people for it will eventually fall down to personal preference. Not saying writing a balancing guide isn't a bad thing, since it will at least give me a new outlook on the subject.

Yeah that was literally the first post of the guide, and I've only gotten better with time, probably at the end of this guide, I'll go back in and take out a few things, and change alot. I'm just trying to stay updated and keep things relevant.

About 3rd gen and 4th generation hacking diffuculty, I actually agree with you, since I really don't like what I said there. I actually have a very different opinion on it. Rivals, eh. I tried to make this guide cater to the vast majority who just wanted to do an 8 Gym Hack, that is similar to the main series, whether I did good or not, is up to you.

You don't have to say anything postive to make me feel good, I have been critized before :p. The whole purpose of the guide, was to give new ideas, while expounding on design aspects, that should abd couod be in your hack, and have differenating views on a certain subject, while STILL making things simple to understand. Thanks for the feedbackm glad you think it is decent :)

DJTiki

Years
YEAH, another update! Now with 800% more Gym Leaders! Sorry it took so long, this was by far the hardest part to make, simply becuase of Writer's Block. and me making more threads. Hopefully, it's as good, as the other updates.

So if you were to change a Pokémon's data makeup, who would it/they be? Why?

Bliss

Years
YEAH, another update! Now with 800% more Gym Leaders! Sorry it took so long, this was by far the hardest part to make, simply becuase of Writer's Block. and me making more threads. Hopefully, it's as good, as the other updates.
Lol "800% more"
So if you were to change a Pokémon's data makeup, who would it/they be? Why?
First things first, I would destroy the theory that Legendary Pokemon are better. Legendary Pokemon would get a debuff to all base stats, making them closer to average with all other Pokemon to bring balance and allow players to focus on using any Pokemon they like, instead of going in with the usual Legendary, Dragonite, Legendary, Mewtwo, Legendary, et cetera team. (Gen I example, obviously)

I'd bring all Pokemon base stats closer to average, but keep some variety throughout, giving a small range for all Pokemon to remain in.

Some Pokemon have titles that make little sense, or I just don't like. "Tiny Bird Pokemon" for Pidgey is a good example. It's actually pretty big, ya know. So I'd give it the title "Bird Pokemon" so it isn't so degrading. (It's also more accurate) There are probably a few dozen others I'd like to change, but I can't be bothered looking them up lol.

There are a lot of Pokedex descriptions that creep me out, like Drifloon for example. Click here. Did you see BW2's entry? "Children holding them sometimes vanish" Wait, what? So if I get a Drifloon, and my son/daughter holds onto it, it might take kid? What the creep? That would be changed. Along with some other stuff from various other generations. Some of those Pokedex entries creep me out, and would need to be changed.

A lot of moves would probably be edited as well, since it seems weird to have certain Pokemon using certain moves, but these are few and far apart. I doubt I'd go looking for them specifically.

Nothing else comes to mind, but yeah, I'd change base stats first. Mostly to bring balance to the game, but also to ensure that players could use whatever Pokemon they wanted without having to worry about who has higher base stats.

DJTiki

Years
And with that small update. Champions are now finished, as well as, the Trainers. Only one more subsection to go in Gameplay and Balance, the Diffuculty. So just bask at it for a second. Then actually read it. :p

Years
Hi, I'm slowly learning about hacking Pokémon games (and the computer I'm using doesn't have enough resolution to open RPG Maker XP, so I'm kind of stuck with ROM hacking, but it doesn't bother me anyway), and this guide is really good, thanks for it! :)

Regarding transportation methods, I'd love to see a region with a fully-developed train/subway system connecting all the major cities and some towns, which would help the player of a hypothetical hack where you can battle the Gyms at any order you want*. You could buy tickets, battle trainers for Exp while on board, buy supplies like Fresh Water (I really like how Unova has a lot of drink machines through the region), and even look at the window and enjoy the views during the travel. (Some core games have trains, but they only connect the player to a small and/or post-game area.)

* This would need some changes from the core formulae, like: HM usage in the overworld connected to the number of badges you have, not from having a specific one; Routes having more areas to explore once you have more HMs accessible; Gym Leaders' teams changing levels/members/movesets according to the number of badges you have; etc. (Probably someone already had this idea for a hack, but I humbly think it's a good one nonetheless.)

Last edited:

DJTiki

Years
Hi, I'm slowly learning about hacking Pokémon games (and the computer I'm using doesn't have enough resolution to open RPG Maker XP, so I'm kind of stuck with ROM hacking, but it doesn't bother me anyway), and this guide is really good, thanks for it! :)

Regarding transportation methods, I'd love to see a region with a fully-developed train/subway system connecting all the major cities and some towns, which would help the player of a hypothetical hack where you can battle the Gyms at any order you want*. You could buy tickets, battle trainers for Exp while on board, buy supplies like Fresh Water (I really like how Unova has a lot of drink machines through the region), and even look at the window and enjoy the views during the travel. (Some core games have trains, but they only connect the player to a small and/or post-game area.)

* This would need some changes from the core formulae, like: HM usage in the overworld connected to the number of badges you have, not from having a specific one; Routes having more areas to explore once you have more HMs accessible; Gym Leaders' teams changing levels/members/movesets according to the number of badges you have; etc. (Probably someone already had this idea for a hack, but I humbly think it's a good one nonetheless.)

Glad this guide is working out for you. :) I, too wanted to work with RPG Maker XP, but now, I like hacking more.

That would be an awesome way for transportation. Perhaps in the trains, battles can take place, while you wait. Just another reason to use them. You can also get a prize for beating a certain amount. I always liked how Unova was bombarded by soda machines, made potions a lot less painless to buy.

Also about your idea.....yeah I kinda have that idea in the works at the moment. So sorry if you wanted to try this out, but doesn't mean stop it, two views on the same sort of game will be nice. Good luck to you. Great minds think alike.

Years
Glad this guide is working out for you. :) I, too wanted to work with RPG Maker XP, but now, I like hacking more.

That would be an awesome way for transportation. Perhaps in the trains, battles can take place, while you wait. Just another reason to use them. You can also get a prize for beating a certain amount. I always liked how Unova was bombarded by soda machines, made potions a lot less painless to buy.

Also about your idea.....yeah I kinda have that idea in the works at the moment. So sorry if you wanted to try this out, but doesn't mean stop it, two views on the same sort of game will be nice. Good luck to you. Great minds think alike.

No problem with me, hehehe; as I said, I doubted it was original, but it's still good anyway. And I agree, with more games exploring it, it's overall better.

Bliss

Years

I think it would be fairly easy to make a system like this, where the number of badges is used instead of which badges you've obtained.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the HM is unlocked after you obtain the badge because the badge checks a certain flag, and if that flag is set then you are allowed to use the HM.

Well, instead of letting it check to see if you have a certain badge, let it check a variable instead. The variable would represent the number of badges you have and each time you clear a gym (obtain the badge) it adds 1 to the variable. So if you have 3 badges, you can use HM02 (fly) et cetera.

Just my take on it.
I don't know if I want to have battles on the train lol. I think that would make it feel like a revamped SS Anne instead of a new form of transportation.

DJTiki

Years
Heyo. Finally decided to crack down on Diffuclty. It's been a while, but hey at least the introduction has an educational youtube video that I find intriging. So hope I can get back on the bandwagon and start writing frequent updates again. Enjoy!

DJTiki

Years
Mind the double post. Just wanted inform you guys that I have updated. The Basics of Making A Difficulty Hack is now up for business! Bit on the short side, but honestly, I have my reasons. :)

Anything from other ROM Hacks you wanted to adapt in your hack?

Oh and while you are at it, how are you guys? Been very busy lately and this weekend should really cool down some. Which means more guide :DD. If I don't get Gameplay and Balance finished by then, well something happened to me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
Mind the double post. Just wanted inform you guys that I have updated. The Basics of Making A Difficulty Hack is now up for business! Bit on the short side, but honestly, I have my reasons. :)

Anything from other ROM Hacks you wanted to adapt in your hack?

Oh and while you are at it, how are you guys? Been very busy lately and this weekend should really cool down some. Which means more guide :DD. If I don't get Gameplay and Balance finished by then, well something happened to me.
Left for a bit so i could see this guide later, about to read what you've updated on so far.
Maybe you could critique some if people followed your guide or something :3

Back